What is the purpose of UnCat?

alienarea

Please excuse me if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything using forum search.

What is the purpose of UnCat for the story?

Someone else could have started hanging Freys for the Red Wedding, for example it could have been a good entry point for Howland Reed into the story.

Someone else could have been hunting for Jaimie Lannister, even without him being hunted the plot isn't diminished.

Will she be the one to kill Roose Bolton?

I think that UnCat's purpose is not revealed yet. Taking revenge for the RW could be one thing although it seems "shallow" to me. I'd like to believe that meeting some of her children or finding out what happened to them could be a reason....

Not everything dies, Mr. Mulder.

It gets the most out of the "wraith character slot". This way Ned will get to weigh in at the conclusion, with Cat speaking for him. So if there ever is a reckoning for all of the crap that's happened, having Cat there to witness it brings us closer to full circle than any of the living characters could.

I think UnCat and the BwB will retake Riverrun from the Lannisters.

I like this idea. They'll pull their own Red Wedding. Tom O'Sevens is already there and Daven Lannister — the new bigshot in town with Kevan and Tywin dead, Cersei disgraced, Tyrion fled and Jaime missing — is getting married. Too good to pass up. There are way too many rogue elements in the Riverlands (the Brotherhood, the Blackfish, Nymeria's wolfpack, a possible straggling northern army, the prisoners being transferred from the Twins) for something crazy not to happen.

Mostly though, I think UnCat is part revenge vehicle and part something-we-don't-understand-yet.

Well her spirit isn't at rest, her whole life has been Family, Duty and Honor I also think it was best said in the series " they have your sisters we must get the girls back then we will kill them all"

I don't believe it was in the book but this is more or less it; get her her daughters and she will be at peace.

Revenge 50% seeing her daughters alive 50% and the third wedding should be bloody but not near as dramatic as the red wedding ( I hope it is though ).

If she hooks up with Arya then the wolf pack will have a feast.

In all seriousness, I think she has a purpose, but I don't know exactly what it is, but I am pretty sure it will involve revenge for the Red Wedding and for the desecration of her's and Robb's bodies. The Frey's made such a mockery of guest rights and funeral rites the god(s) revived Catelyn as an instrument of retribution.

For some reason the most unforgivable thing about RW for me was what the Freys done with Robb's and Catelyn's dead bodies.

Robb betrayed his word, they were afraid their side was doomed, the guest right is not so sacred in the south... bend the perspective enough and RW is justifiable. Burt never what they did with corpses.

I can understand eating dead, when there is no food, or for revenge, I can understand not burying the bodies or just throwing them to river, even using faces for glamors or clothing but to mocking the dead? Never.

Now, aren't some Freys going to be really really sorry they didn't bury her properly? That is purpose enough.

Though I have to add, the sooner we get rid of unCat the better.

Taking out Freys perhaps?

It's more then Freys, the last person she saw was Roose Bolton telling Robb that Jamie Lannister gives his regards, I know some think Roose will not die or hope he doesn't but if he isn't dead in Winterfell Mother Stark is gonna pay him a visit and I hope he's flayed from toe to head and tied to Walder the spiteful.

Powerbase for Dany/Sansa/other Starks in the Riverlands, focus for anti-Lannister sentiment and for popular uprising, so it's not too awkward when Martin has to make the realm massively support Dany.

UnCat has Robb's crown, and half of Ned's sword (I don't think Brienne will get to keep it, after she delivers Jaime). But I think unCat will be involved with the Stark and/or Tully restoration in some way, and I expect a confrontation with Sansa.

Powerbase for Dany/Sansa/other Starks in the Riverlands, focus for anti-Lannister sentiment and for popular uprising, so it's not too awkward when Martin has to make the realm massively support Dany.

Oh please no.

I like the "gods' instrument of retribution" idea, and the restoration of a Stark/Tully power base in the Riverlands. I've actually fiddled with the idea of the Riverlands, the North and the Vale uniting as one big northern-ish kingdom when all is said and done.

Now, aren't some Freys going to be really really sorry they didn't bury her properly? That is purpose enough.

Ironically, if the Freys had given her proper funeral rites — burning the body, Viking-style — there wouldn't be a Catelyn to resurrect. ;)

Oh please no.

I like the "gods' instrument of retribution" idea, and the restoration of a Stark/Tully power base in the Riverlands. I've actually fiddled with the idea of the Riverlands, the North and the Vale uniting as one big northern-ish kingdom when all is said and done.

Except there are no gods, only men, and Stark/Tully power in the Riverlands is irrelevant now. I would even qualify it as bloat if it doesn't tie with the greater story.

It's more then Freys, the last person she saw was Roose Bolton telling Robb that Jamie Lannister gives his regards, I know some think Roose will not die or hope he doesn't but if he isn't dead in Winterfell Mother Stark is gonna pay him a visit and I hope he's flayed from toe to head and tied to Walder the spiteful.

noo but i want that to be Ramsays end and not Rooses

Roose should be tied down naked and Cat should cover his body with thousands of leeches, even inside his mouth.

I would enjoy that.

Archived