Skyrim: Dying with a monotonous regularity

Hereward

So far I'm loving the game... wow.

I'm a lvl 11 Nord focusing on one handed swords, Destruction and the bow.

Now, tell me if this is normal... I am mince-meat for snowy sabre cats... they are faster, stronger and yes, smarter than my Nord... they make a pulp out of me in two strikes. Is this normal, or is my character a bloody weakling?

Have you got a companion? With Lydia or whoever engaging them you should be able to finish 'em off with arrows or magic no problem.

After about 5 calender days of my playing, Lydia showed back up! I fast traveled and there she was. I seriously thought she was a goner.

While I like that the plot/quests aren't all linear, a la Neverwinter Nights, etc., the sheer number of them are getting annoying. I've got one or two things to do all over the map now. As others have mentioned previously, on the way to finish off one, you can pick up a handful of others. This happened to me once without even talking to someone. Some guy came up to me outside the Nord city and gave me an 'invitaion' to visit some museum. The hell?

I'm a destruction/one-handed/light armor Breton. I'm also, by default, picking up some archery points. Obviously you have to up your crafting to get the dragon armor, is this too much? If so, what do I dump? This is the first Elder Scrolls game I've played.

After about 5 calender days of my playing, Lydia showed back up!  I fast traveled and there she was.  I seriously thought she was a goner.

While I like that the plot/quests aren't all linear, a la Neverwinter Nights, etc., the sheer number of them are getting annoying.  I've got one or two things to do all over the map now.  As others have mentioned previously, on the way to finish off one, you can pick up a handful of others.  This happened to me once without even talking to someone.  Some guy came up to me outside the Nord city and gave me an 'invitaion' to visit some museum.  The hell?

I'm a destruction/one-handed/light armor Breton.  I'm also, by default, picking up some archery points.  Obviously you have to up your crafting to get the dragon armor, is this too much?  If so, what do I dump?  This is the first Elder Scrolls game I've played.

There is nothing really wrong with leveling up too many skills at once in Skyrim. It was a problem in the earlier games because of how attributes were set up (Strength, Agility, etc.), but those were done away with.The only thing I would say watch out for is raising too many non-combat skills at once. There is some level scaling in the game, so that could prove a problem. But your main skill set sounds fine to me. The game is pretty lenient when it comes to your character build, so unless you try to mess up (unarmored, fist fighting merchant) you'll be OK.

I'm a destruction/one-handed/light armor Breton. I'm also, by default, picking up some archery points. Obviously you have to up your crafting to get the dragon armor, is this too much? If so, what do I dump? This is the first Elder Scrolls game I've played.

Levelling them doesn't seem to be bad, it's the decisions on where to spend the perks. I'm 29ish, focused on two handed w/ heavy armor - but have I think 5 perks in archery (more damage and the zoom in), some in Smithing to get to the heavier armors and a scattered few in Alteration (__skin casting) and alchemy for better potions.

was weird - had one Frost dragon repeatedly tear me apart, but within the same level took down two blood dragons at the same time; seemed like my shout wasn't working against the frost. a bug or does their breath sap the ability to use the shout as well?

frosts are just stronger.

phew, elders are somethin else. tough buggers. just killed one outside of riften with some help from the local guards drawing his attacks away. they tend to kill me one on one. i notice the game replaces an elder with a frost after such.

Doing the Assassinate the Silver hand leader quest. Well, I was until my 360 RROD'd. Really hoping I can get at least one gasp out of it to save the game info onto the cards - forgot we had them & had only been saving onto the hard drive.

The game grew on me after I was underwhelmed by it. I think the main quest is much better than Morrowind's, which was more than confusing and kind of boring.

Currently level 33, two handed fighter. I am stomping the shit out of most monsters in the game at the moment, even in steel plate. I finally got around to smithing, as I didn't realize how easy it was to level that skill up. I had been enchanting like a boss before that.

Can anyone tell me where the dragon priests are? I killed Krosis, barely, but he was the only one I've found.

Oh god, I am so sorry.

However, mine RROD'd and the hard drive was fine, unless there's some other HD you are talking about.

Don't know the answer to your question - haven't gotten there yet.

Thanks - I'm hoping its just overabundance of dust or loose cable - the console had been sitting for a long time since we'd last used it. If it is dead, do you know if it is like a PC where the data can be extracted and loaded onto another 360? Can't look at gaming sites from work and would rather get input here.

Doing the Assassinate the Silver hand leader quest. Well, I was until my 360 RROD'd. Really hoping I can get at least one gasp out of it to save the game info onto the cards - forgot we had them & had only been saving onto the hard drive.

Not having ever owned an Xbox I had to google that - ouch. Hope you get it saved.

I haven't gotten that far yet either but I was stuck behind a door I couldn't find a lever for (for an inordinate length of time) and I ended up googling a solution. (I was going backwards through the area.) There is a Skyrim Wiki as well as a lot of other information from various sources if you don't mind the 'cheating' aspect of it.

ETA: Greywolf, when I googled the RROD I saw some solutions to potentially fix the problem. Give it a try after work.

Not having ever owned an Xbox I had to google that - ouch. Hope you get it saved.

I haven't gotten that far yet either but I was stuck behind a door I couldn't find a lever for (for an inordinate length of time) and I ended up googling a solution. (I was going backwards through the area.) There is a Skyrim Wiki as well as a lot of other information from various sources if you don't mind the 'cheating' aspect of it.

ETA: Greywolf, when I googled the RROD I saw some solutions to potentially fix the problem. Give it a try after work.

Yeah, if you get the three red lights, chances are it's doomed.

HOWEVER, if you look at the top of the xbox, you'll see a button that releases the hard drive.

Yer datas are not doomed yet, sir.

If you were still in the M$ warranty, they actually tell you to remove the HD before shipping it back to them. you're probably out of the warranty, though. Fortunately this generation of console is getting rather cheap.

Thanks guys. Yeah, we're way the hell out of warranty - picked up a new 360s last night, but now having trouble transferring the data. Don't want to derail this thread, but it's bugging me that the new one isn't popping up the transfer screen. Any tips? looked online and it gives me a procedure, but the troubleshooting threads blow.

the dragon priests are just hidden across the world. ive got one other in this crypt. forget the name but you have to unlock this coffin. they exist around word walls. so if you talk to the head greybeard after initial training he will direct you toward new walls where you may have the chance to find one

If that's the case I may have run into one of them. I got a word just outside the exit of Volskyge(?) Pass and was attacked immediately afterwards. The thing ruled me, I was Lydia-less at the time as she'd gotten lost somewhere. After numerous reloads he finally got stuck on some rocks and I managed to kill him.

Has anyone attempted that glitch or exploit where you supposedly can get a house for free by hiding money in it before you buy it? I don't understand how that should work if it does.

You don't hide money in the house... You interact with the steward selling you the house, buy it, and then imediately dump your money in a chest or furniture in the same room with him. It will then register that you have a house, and you can get your money back out of the drawer

Opinions on followers, anyone?

I got Lydia killed, so I've been wandering around with Erik instead, but I now have the option of a new housecarl (Argis) having bought the house in Markath. Is it worth sending Erik home?

Opinions on followers, anyone?

I got Lydia killed, so I've been wandering around with Erik instead, but I now have the option of a new housecarl (Argis) having bought the house in Markath. Is it worth sending Erik home?

I started out using Benor from Morthal and he was so-so, but got knocked down a lot. He also wouldn't get out of the way of swinging door traps. He'd just stand there letting it hit him over and over. You'd think the AI would work to make him move out of the way when that happens. Or maybe he was just too stupid to avoid it.

Now I'm using Mjoll the Lioness from Riften and she's been a definite improvement. A bit chatty, but she seems tougher. I also have Meeko the dog with me. The only problem I have with Mjoll is that she picked up a staff of fireballs off a dead necromancer and uses it in place of her bow, and sometimes Meeko gets in the way of her fireballs. After the mobs have been dealt with, he then attacks Mjoll for setting him on fire too, and she ends up killing him and forcing me to reload my last saved game. I just took the staff away from her so that doesn't happen any more.

Archived