The comet

House Balstroko

I don't know if the comet has a specific meaning, but like others in this topic I think it's a (perhaps) natural event that people are twisting into their own views and hopes, as well as using it as a sort of... tool. So Dany uses it to further her progression whilst another character might view it as an omen, but another will see it as validation of their acts.

So, regardless of what it may or may not truly herald, I think it's very much a catalyst that some used to make progress.

• 2 months later...

If I had to put my money on it, the comet would be a sign for Dany for the reasons already mentioned in this thread. But for me the biggest effect of the comet was to show how faith and omen-driven the various factions in Westeros are and how much they needed something to believe in.

First post ^_^

^^

This. 100%

• 3 weeks later...

The comet could also be a sort of universal theme in ACOK that people will believe what they are told and will see significance in things that are not significant.

All the retainers of the different kings/factions believe it is a sign of a forthcoming victory. The comet has like half a dozen different names: Joffrey's comet, the red sword, Mormont's torch...

The comet could be a link to Varys' idea that power resides where people think it resides

• 4 weeks later...

At first I thought the comet had to be important, like turning out to be in fact a meteorite that would supply the metal for Lightbringer 2.0. or such (I'm the uncrowned queen of crackpot theories), but when the thing kept showing up in every other chapter and everyone thought it was significant, I kind of stopped thinking it would.

Now, (still pretty much in the middle of the book ) I think it's what others said, that everyone sees it as what he wants it to be, a sign from Chtulhu's cough R'hllor (seriously, that sounds like a Great Old One clearing its(?) throat) or a sign of victory for the Tullys or the Lannisters or dragons or Dany's personal Star of Bethlehem or whatever... if it suddenly becomes hugely important in the end of the book again, don't tell me!

• 5 months later...

I think that it is just a comet, myself. It is sort of a running joke about how people are always eager to see portents and pressages everywhere.

No, not at all. It's an omen....a sign. Of what we don't know yet. But we'll find out. Personally I think GRRM put it in a sign that Dany would suceed, since the comet is red, and red=fire=dragon=Dany

• 6 months later...

It seems like it's more a combination of what a few of you have said...On one hand, it's definitely a sign for dragons...There hadn't been dragons in a super long time, then all of a sudden there are dragons, and as a result we get a huge RED comet...But, I also think GRRM uses it throughout the other chapters showing how different characters try to believe that it was meant somehow specifically to their cause.

• 1 month later...

It means one thing boy. Dragons.

Nice reference.

Exactly. Dragons and magic reborn into the world is what it means to me. This PERHAPS includes the revival of the White Walkers as well.

EDIT for possible spoiler:

Maybe Sam really will become a wizard?! har!

:P

Since we're into the "return of magic" subject, how do you think that relates to the return of the White Walkers at all? Do the comet and the birth of dragons come from the Others' return, or did the Others and the Dragons return because of some third party? Or maybe, does the comet represent either of these magical events, and if so, is it a prelude or a resulting signal?

Even cooler than that, do you guys imagine Others versus Dragons in aDoS? woo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really don't see any need for an explanation, as it's one of those things that's just better off left to speculation.

Unless it's a mechanical android from space, on their way down to destroy humans.

But I think the most dead on theory is that it was about the Dragons- since it appeared shortly after they hatched and magic began growing stronger in the realm since then as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived