How does GRRM/aSoIaF compare? Best Series?

Hossbeast

I'm definitely not putting myself out there as a well-read master of the genre. I was simply giving a list of some of the fantasy I have read, to put my opinion into context for those who know the authors I am familiar with. For the record I read Eddings and Brooks starting in 2nd grade so I reserve the right to have enjoyed them very much at that point in my life, lol.

By "literature" I meant, even considering other genre's that I have read in, aSoIaF is my favorite.

"best" is hard to define, but I like Howdyphilip's definition: what are you most invested in. For me, that's aSoIaF, hands down.

And, I can't imagine someone enjoying WoT more than aSoIaF. *boggle*

I very much appreciate hearing all of your suggestions!

The first three books of ASOIAF are awesome, yes, and classics of the genre, but I wouldn't regard them as the best fantasy ever. I'd even go so far as to say that GRRM is a better short story writer than he is novelist (his post-ASOS situation might be a reflection of this).

Fantasy I'd rate ahead of ASOIAF:

- Tolkien (The Silmarillion and LOTR)

- Peake (Gormenghast)

- Wolfe (The Book of the New Sun)

- Donaldson (Thomas Covenant)

- Zelazny (Lord of Light and Amber)

- Gaiman (Sandman)

I never understood the hate that seems to be heaped on Rowling, particularly the writing. It's not the best in the world, but its certainly not Twilight bad. And I don;t think excellent prose is what she was going for anyways.

I think people are still poed about the hugo.

I have to say it varies rather like the Dark Tower if you've ever read that. The first three books are golden but there are parts of Feast and Dance that are disjointed at best and downright bad at other points.

I don't want the next great novel I'll settle for being decently entertained which is something that for the most part Jim Butcher and Bernard Cornwell do that better then GRRM sometimes.

Hm, maybe we should randomly move threads around between here and the book forums sometimes. Shake the place up a bit.

I've got no problem recommending HP to someone looking for decent entertainment. Its got misfires in terms of writing, but the story and worldbuilding and characters make up for it, though one can quibble with the politics.(And judged as a children's book, I think HP is absolutely superb, in terms of speaking to the concerns and desires of that age, by which I don't mean at all that it's light and fluffy, becuase really, it's not.)

As to whether ASOIAF is the best fantasy series....I think it is, personally, of what i've read, for my own use of best. In terms of secondary world epic fantasy ( I don't even try to compare books across subgenres.) it does best what I want and enjoy in the epic fantasy I read - immersion, scope, worldbuilding, vividness, strong engagement with characters and powerfully operatic, sense-of-history sort of plotting. ASOIAF more or less nails all those better than any other big fantasy i've read.

I am with the people who said that "better" is a very subjective thing. I really like Martin's ASoIaF, it is one of my favourite works. But i find it hard to truly rank the series amongst each other. I have a couple of series i count as "my favourites". As of right now these are: ASoIaF, Malazan Book of the Fallen, Prince of Nothing & Aspect Emperor, Sunsword. Each series has its own strengths and weaknesses but are in their entirety a step above any other series that i have read.

Yeah, the Black Company is definitely not mentioned in every recommendation thread since the big bang, that's for sure. Actually, I don't even know what's a Black Company, probably a team of Night's Watch rangers from ASOIAF.

Is it is the best? Cannot say, because ASOIF is quite unique. Harry Potter Series is well written with a well enunciated plot, but it is not as complex as ASOIF. I loved the Lord of the Rings and I thought at that time that there will be none to rival it. Well ASOIF came and I must say it just knocked off my breath and I am still struggling with it. This is an epic no doubt. However I still have one small issue with GRRM's series. The language is not as good as Tolkien or Rowling. It does get me when I see words of sanskrit or arabic origin being used. Hey I can still take it, because I did not pick up ASOIF assuming it is written by Shakespeare.

Well it's good, but flawed too. Did not enjoy it super-much, but at least very much. However, ten - fifteen years ago I enjoyed the hell out of WoT/Harry Potter/Pratchett, not saying that they are better (or worse), but how much you enjoy a book depends on a lot more than how "good" it is, it is very good though.

The language is not as good as Tolkien or Rowling. It does get me when I see words of sanskrit or arabic origin being used. Hey I can still take it, because I did not pick up ASOIF assuming it is written by Shakespeare.

Ya I love Rowling's use of language, especially the fifth book where we FEEL the EMOTION because EVERY other WORD Harry says is in ALL CAPS!!! WITH LOADS OF THESE!!!!

Archived