How does GRRM/aSoIaF compare? Best Series?

Hossbeast

ASOIAF is perhaps not the "best" from a literary perspective, but I can think of few other series that have had me as invested. This was particularly so when I read ACoK and ASoS practically inside a week. I don't really agree with many of the criticisms levelled at AFfC or ADwD.

As to whether ASOIAF is the best fantasy series....I think it is, personally, of what i've read, for my own use of best.

You’re not making sense. By your own admission, spaceships are an important parameter.

Here’s the score:

Second Apocalypse: 1 spaceship.

A Song of Ice and Fire: 0 spaceships.

What am I not getting?

Its top tier but not the best I reckon. Great plotting,wonderful larger than life characters and completely addictive but I find that the writing is a little inconsistent. ADWD is a good example. There were passages that were perfunctory and basic, but also others that were rather atmospheric and evocative (his descriptions of the freezing weather in the north) without being overly detailed as to slow the narrative down. I found his sf and horror fiction more impressive to be honest,I'm just a few pages into 'Dying Of The Light' and already I can tell its more my cup of tea as far as writing style goes.

The real elite of fantasy I believe are people like Robert Holdstock,Mervyn Peake and Gene Wolfe (though I find Wolfe a little difficult at times). I firmly believe you can compare them to any great writers of past and present without unduly embarrassing them. Ursula Le Guinns Earthsea is also excellent and I've often heard that Patricia K Mckillip is excellent though I've never read her.

I never understood the hate that seems to be heaped on Rowling, particularly the writing. It's not the best in the world, but its certainly not Twilight bad. And I don;t think excellent prose is what she was going for anyways.

It's just that I found the last book to be so incredibly bad (not bad compared to the other books, but bad on an absolute scale) that I cannot find it in my heart to ever reconsider reading the series again or even to think about what has, could and might have happened, even if the other books weren't maybe as bad. And that's even ignoring the cheap teenage fanfiction that that goes by the name of "Epilogue"!

Almost everything about that book was either boring or incredibly clichéd, and most was both.

You know the Epilogue was the first thing she ever wrote right? Before she wrote the first book even.

Irrelevant. She should have developed sufficiently as a writer to realise that the Epilogue was crap, and either left it out, or gone back and revised it. It's basically the problem with the later Harry Potter books, especially 5 and 7: Rowling became too famous to edit, so they let any old stuff through.

Books 1-3: awesome children's fantasy.

Book 4: more adult, darker fantasy, that could have done with a bit of an edit.

Book 5: a waste of space that could have been cut from 750 pages to 250 quite easily.

Book 6: some good ideas, but soured by deus ex machinae.

Book 7: badly written, badly edited, and contains The Epilogue of Eternal Doom.

Archived