doesnt seem bad at all(Except for Brienne)

Mark Sawyer

I am only 150 pages into the book give or take a few and so far it is way cool and i like it alot...i read the first three so fast, this time i slowed down and I have yet to be bored. I actually enjoy how GRRM has expanded the universe..i think that since this sequence of events is most likely changing the shape of Westeros and the whole world for that matter I love how GRRM is showing it through the eyes of so many different people. It really allows one to get an unbiased interpretation of what takes place. The inclusion of new characters such as Damphair, Krakkens daughter, soiled knight, etc. has been very interesting to me. The one downside to the book for me is BRIENNE. While I do think he character is admirable and I feel she has endured a lot I just personally can not get into her story and she seems to be just so much more hollow that all the other characters. All the characters good or bad have so much depth but Brienne, man I just hope the Hound crosses paths with her and ends her story line but spares Podrick...lol..what do you guys think

I back you 100% on this! I've read about 1/3 of the book and, despite all the criticism that i've read towards the book, I'm enjoying it very much, except for Brienne's chapters, that seem to last an eternity!

I understand that you might find her chapters boring, but believe me, the last two Brienne chapter are BRILLIANT.

I really like AFFC and I like Brienne. There are some things in her chapters that I noticed on a re-read that I didn't catch the first time, but all the books can be that way I guess. I did find her chapters a little slow/boring the first time I read them though.

I am two thirds of the way through AFFC and I am hoping that ADWD is released in paperback when I am through. I always go through withdrawal after I finish a book and want to hold off starting the next one but the direction that the story is taking is surprising. Many of the POV characters are missing and I am not liking some of the newer ones although Sansa has improved with age and I like Brienne. I do miss Tyrion, who was my favorite character, which is the reason Cersei's POV are my least favorite. Jamie's are good but they still lack the cleverness of Tyrion's POV and that is what is missing from AFFC. It is still a ripping yarn and I can't put it down.

I am two thirds of the way through AFFC and I am hoping that ADWD is released in paperback when I am through. I always go through withdrawal after I finish a book and want to hold off starting the next one but the direction that the story is taking is surprising. Many of the POV characters are missing and I am not liking some of the newer ones although Sansa has improved with age and I like Brienne. I do miss Tyrion, who was my favorite character, which is the reason Cersei's POV are my least favorite. Jamie's are good but they still lack the cleverness of Tyrion's POV and that is what is missing from AFFC. It is still a ripping yarn and I can't put it down.

I'm also waiting for the release of ADWD in paperback! But I read it's only gonna happen in July :S

I actually quite liked this book and was suprised that quite a few people didn't like it at all.

Indeed, AFFC was about the political game that was being played, not a lot of action, but it was awesome.

I am about 60% through the book for my re-read of the series, and I am enjoying it a great deal more this time.

I think the negative reaction of many people was due to the waiting time between ASOS and AFfC. For people who were with the series early on, it came off as a bit of a dissapointment.

For those of us who picked it up more recently and were able to read the books in succession without waiting, I think it negates some of the "lack of action" so to speak.

Another important aspect is that GRRM is giving the reader a unique look into the effects of war on those besides the lords and ladys. We get to see how the following people are affected: the religious and clergy, the peasants, farmers, and even outlaws.

We gain insight into how war tears apart families and causes division between friends or lovers that may never heal. It is a change from the earlier pace of the books, but it is a harsh reality that a majority of the population in the Riverlands, The North, and Stormlands face.

I was lucky enough to not start reading until both AFFC and ADWD were out. personally I think there both great books in terms of giving us background info on alot of stuff and setting things up for the next to books. But I can understand why alot of people dont like them what with having to wait 10 years and all. I just hope GRRM finishs the last 2 books soon i dont know how much longer i can wait.

• 2 weeks later...

See my theory about Brienne and Jamie in the topic list, but I think she and J are headed for couplesville! GRRM's dropped whopping hints, and it explains why she's in so much of this book. Though having not read ADOG yet, I could be completely wrong >.< I personally like Brienne, though I can sympathise with you a bit....she can be a bit one dimensional and boring..I flicked through some of her chapters.

• 1 month later...

What I didn't like about Brienne's chapters was that we as readers knew were Sansa was. This made the whole search pointless from the start. I would have loved to see Brienne actually go to the Eyrie and find Sansa there. With the attention to "free" her at first, but then should could have been torn between honor and what is best in the long run for Sansa.

Stick with Brienne. Her chapters get better, though they aren't as exciting as some others. I loved AFFC because it gave us the chance to see into more characters. Had GRRM combined both AFFC and ADWD, I feel like we would have lost a lot of the finesse that is in the POVs in AFFC. Cersei's chapters were so fascinating. But would they have been so amazing if they had been stuck in the same book as Tyrion's or Jon's or Dany's? Probably not to most readers...

I loved AFFC and love hearing references to things that happened in it in ADWD (I'm about 1/3 through it). I also agree with the statement that oneof Brienne's chapters has the most beautiful speech yet with the "Broken Men." Brilliant, beautifully written. If nothing else, stick with Brienne for that!

What I didn't like about Brienne's chapters was that we as readers knew were Sansa was. This made the whole search pointless from the start. I would have loved to see Brienne actually go to the Eyrie and find Sansa there. With the attention to "free" her at first, but then should could have been torn between honor and what is best in the long run for Sansa.

It makes her search pointless from our eyes only, but it also means that something HAS to happen that derails her from that pointless quest, which it does. To me, Brienne's story is at its best when she is fighting. She is such a different person when she is taking lives...

Brienne is awesome. She sits at number 4 on my list of favourites :P Through her travels we also get to see some great (flawed) characters such as Ser Hyle, Pod, Randyll Tarley and Meribald (who's monologue, as it's already been said, was fantastic). Lots to enjoy in Brienne's travels. After Jaime, I enjoyed her chapters the most.

If I were to pick a POV that frustrated me most, I'd probably say Samwell. Lots of sitting around, throwing up and Gilly's breasts lol. But on the whole I can't understand the hate this book gets.

Archived