Will Ros return in Season 2?

duncanthemedium

The character of Ros was one of my favorites on the show. I know there are many haters in the ASOIAF readership but I liked the character for two reasons:

1. I believe there is a lot of depth to the books in terms of class. There are so many non-highborn/ non-fighting characters that play a huge part in totality. But just because of the huge number of important lordly characters these others could not make it onto the tv scripts. In that, Ros is the condensation of all of these 'low-born' non-fighting characters, that in a sense, provide you with a different perspective on out favorite book characters. Be it Theon, Baelish, or Pycelle (Tyrion prolly not that much actually) Ros gets to see a part of their selves no other character in the series can. She brings out the depth in their characters. Theon's conflicts of identity/manhood, Baelish's lack of trust/persistent loneliness/persecuation mania (?) of sorts, the extent of Pycelle's fiendish ruse of being the 'wise,old maester'. etc.

2. Esme Bianco is absolutely beautiful !!! Today's television, especially HBO, thrives on eye-candy and Esme Bianco is just wow. Not only physically, but also in all her mannerisms, the way she talks, acts, etc. She provides the counter-point to all the lady characters. Again, she brings out the essence of being Cersei (when boning Lancel or the Kettleblacks later). She is also the alternate 'strong woman' to Catelyn or even to an extent Dany. She is very 'common' and 'natural' in her strength and self-confidence.

So my question remains. Will she be returning!!!

Maybe. Spoilers:

Theon sends for a "bedwarmer" in CoK to... warm his bed, after his little coup. In the books, it's some new character (I think; I don't recall her anyway) called Kyra. It might be a nice tie-in if Theon sent for Ros in the show... if a little impractical, considering she went to KL.

No way in hell was Ros a "strong" character, though. Total fanservice.

I liked the scene in the show where Theon meets Ros on her way to Kings Landing. He seemed a nice guy here :mellow:

To the OP: well she might. She was certainly liked by the producers/casters to get this amount of screen time and additional scenes ... there are some brothelscenes in ACOK.

I posted this in another thread but, I'm pretty sure Ros will

replace the character of Alayaya, and so be suspected of being Tyrion's whore, abducted, etc. It makes more sense to use a character that has already been introduced, explained, semi-developed than introduce a whole new cast of whores.

She was a vehicle for exposition. They needed a way to give us a lot background story and some insight in to characters and what's the best way to do that if not to have characters sleep with/talk to a hot naked woman. Seeing how prominent she was in the first season I would be surprised if she just disappeared, but at the same time there isn't much room for her character to play any role in upcoming events. What HyacinthGirl said makes some sense, that could well happen.

I posted this in another thread but, I'm pretty sure Ros will

replace the character of Alayaya, and so be suspected of being Tyrion's whore, abducted, etc. It makes more sense to use a character that has already been introduced, explained, semi-developed than introduce a whole new cast of whores.

But that would mean that Tyrion goes to Littlefinger's brothel... which is quite impossible.

But that would mean that Tyrion goes to Littlefinger's brothel... which is quite impossible.

Not really, Ros might move to another Brothel, or maybe LF will replace Varys in that coverup (that would change a few things around for later on). We'll just have to see. But we probably have enough whores.

I just glanced through Esme Bianco's twitter feed for the last 8 months, and I don't see anything about her working on GoT S2, so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to not bring her character back for this upcoming season. Who knows, maybe she'll get a reprise cameo at some point down the road.

ETA: it may also be that she was able to get more work in other projects, and wasn't as available (though IMDB doesn't list anything new for her). She tweeted at different times about being in New York, and also a mention about possibly living in LA.

WesteROS

Coincidence or conspiracy?

multi-like!!! hahahah...

I just think its funny that the sole reason for her character is to get fucked by everyone ala 'sexposition'

Well, yes. Its HBO. But I dont think that is the reasons D&D or GRRM like her character so much. I really believe that she provides a perspective that no one else in the show can. The commonfolk do not figure prominently in the cast. How do we know what the folks in the taverns and streets and brothels really think of their lords? The books, I contend, bring this out well in some POV chapters. Arya's chapters being really deep and mutlilayered because of that. Same goes for the Dunk and Egg stories which are really charming for it. Ros could be a way of re-thinking, layering and adding depth of perspective to the televised version of the books.

I trust GRRM and D&D enough to make sound changes to the saga and make the tv series 'different' yet canonical at the same time. Alas, many and more won't agree with me on the potentials innovating the series would hold...or the Ros character for that matter :worried:

Not really, Ros might move to another Brothel, or maybe LF will replace Varys in that coverup (that would change a few things around for later on).

This better not happen. Tyrion and Varys have some of the best exchanges in the book, I'd hate for them use Littlefinger instead just so they could use Ros for brothel scenes. I don't think it's likely, as it would muddle up a lot of the plot lines for later on. Plus, Tyrion is too smart to trust Littlefinger so much.

Well, yes. Its HBO. But I dont think that is the reasons D&D or GRRM like her character so much. I really believe that she provides a perspective that no one else in the show can. The commonfolk do not figure prominently in the cast. How do we know what the folks in the taverns and streets and brothels really think of their lords? The books, I contend, bring this out well in some POV chapters. Arya's chapters being really deep and mutlilayered because of that. Same goes for the Dunk and Egg stories which are really charming for it. Ros could be a way of re-thinking, layering and adding depth of perspective to the televised version of the books.

But Ros doesn't really provide that commoner perspective at all. She's really only a vehicle for exposition. Ros is hardly even a character, she just randomly shows up almost everywhere for major characters to screw her whilst providing their backstory and motivations. Also, I wouldn't want her to serve as that role in season 2. It would just seem weird, with all the plot heavy stuff in season 2, to have random scenes of Ros the whore that do nothing but provide background on how the common people feel.

I honestly hope that the character is cut. Looking back on season one, all of the worst scenes from the season had her in them. Littlefinger's eight minute long diatribe, Theon's clunky sex scene with her, and that mostly pointless and bloated scene with Grand Maester Pycelle. Even her first scene with Tyrion in the pilot felt off to me.

Ros is definitely not a common girl. If she was, she would probably have horrible health problems, be dirt poor, and not at all be able to move wherever she wants. As a whore in the medieval ages, you would either have to be a part of an establishment and give almost all your earnings to the owner of that establishment, be attached to a rich person, or you would be dead in an alley somewhere. In any case, you would probably have every std one could gather. Ros is entirely unrealistic as a character, and she doesn't show any sign of being a part of the lower classes either.

And as the poster above me said, she doesn't provide any perspective on anything. She is only there to let the other characters provide the perspective.

Maybe we'll get lucky and GRRM and D&D listen to viewer/reader feedback. They were all so high on her before season 1 and it turned out that pretty much everyone hated her and her scenes. I would love it if she were cut and I'm sure a large majority of the readers would like her to be cut, too.

I'm ambivalent about ros... On the one hand, i think it's an interesting tool for exposition. I don't hate her character really, and her scenes in the north were definitely a good way of establishing theon's motivation. I can totally see the relevance for next season. The experiment started to fall flat in KL. It was just a little contrived to have the exact same whore for LF and Pycelle. Moreover, these scenes were very badly written. Two whores? Really? And then there's the excessive moaning and LF having to yell to make himself heard. Really?

Shae seems more suited to fill in this role actually. Her dubious loyalty serves a purpose in the story anyway so she could screw pycelle LF, and tywin. It would make more sense. Ros as northern sexposition and shae for king's landing... Oh well, it's too late now anyway. But i dont hate the character of ros, i just hate her path and the execution of her KL scenes.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I wouldn't mind if her character fell in the Trident and didn't come back up. Know what I'm sayin'? :cool4:

Yes. I hope she does not appear again. Her scenes were completely ridiculous and also embarassing. I am sure they could have used time and money they spent on her on either Blackfish or even Mya Stone.

Actually, now that I think of it, is it not strange that she was not hte one taking bath with Viserys? Oh, right, even she who can travel from Winterfell to KL in one or two episodes, cannot get over the sea that quick. I get it.

Maybe we'll get lucky and GRRM and D&D listen to viewer/reader feedback. They were all so high on her before season 1 and it turned out that pretty much everyone hated her and her scenes. I would love it if she were cut and I'm sure a large majority of the readers would like her to be cut, too.

I don't think they were high on the character. They liked her as an actress and she served a purpose in the season. She was actually very popular on these boards too for a while pre-S1, as she attended one of the meets up in Belfast after the pilot was filmed. People found her very friendly.

I'm fine with her. I find it amusing that people think she took time away from other characters. She was there to give time to LF, Theon, Tyrion etc.

I, for one, really like Ros, and assume that if kept, she'll replace Chataya and Alayaya in KL for Tyrion's booty-call ruses. She does mostly do exposition, but I'd defend her as providing a "commoner" perspective, and I really can't recall an honest, positive portrayal of a sex worker in popular fantasy.

The truth is that most peasant/common girls in human history have either wound up housewives (if their fathers were lucky and prosperous enough to provide an effective dowry, or pretty enough to lessen a dowry) or sex workers. Up until they hit puberty, girls were just as effective as boys in agriculture and served roughly the same purpose; once they "flowered," they were worth far more as potential wives (sex objects and baby factories) and trade goods for networking and business relationships between fathers and possible sons-in-law. If a father could not bring an acceptable dowry for his daughter, she faced a life of spinsterhood and hard labor on her family farm, or a better-paying career as a whore.

Fun fact: the original Santa Claus (Bishop Nikolai of Myra) was famous in myth for his charity. What isn't as obvious is that many of his charitable contributions (via embezzlement from the Diocese) made him infamous among the clergy at the time. Some of his major contributions targeted the destitute fathers of teenage daughters, anonymously providing the gold for a proper dowry and ensuring that they could provide for their daughters' marriage, thereby keeping them out of the sex trade and reducing prostitution in his district. While his actions at the time were considered immoral and corrupt, history has mostly favored Saint Nikolaus and his charity, while whiting-out the inappropriate mention of prostitution in his legend.

It's nice to see the show dedicate more attention to the demographic presence of sex workers in the medieval (or modern) world. I'd really like to see more attention paid to the smallfolk and less-privileged characters in "Game of Thrones."

I, for one, really like Ros, and assume that if kept, she'll replace Chataya and Alayaya in KL for Tyrion's booty-call ruses. She does mostly do exposition, but I'd defend her as providing a "commoner" perspective, and I really can't recall an honest, positive portrayal of a sex worker in popular fantasy.

The truth is that most peasant/common girls in human history have either wound up housewives (if their fathers were lucky and prosperous enough to provide an effective dowry, or pretty enough to lessen a dowry) or sex workers. Up until they hit puberty, girls were just as effective as boys in agriculture and served roughly the same purpose; once they "flowered," they were worth far more as potential wives (sex objects and baby factories) and trade goods for networking and business relationships between fathers and possible sons-in-law. If a father could not bring an acceptable dowry for his daughter, she faced a life of spinsterhood and hard labor on her family farm, or a better-paying career as a whore.

I have to disagree. In my opinion, she hardly provides a "commoner perspective", unless most commoners in Westeros somehow interact with all the major players and are also told their background stories. Granted, I don't know much about medieval prostitution, but I find it hard to believe that the role of Ros portrays an honest depiction of a sex worker. She just seems to be the happy prostitute that really has no problems at all. She's hardly even got a personality on the show; she's just sort of there.

It's nice to see the show dedicate more attention to the demographic presence of sex workers in the medieval (or modern) world. I'd really like to see more attention paid to the smallfolk and less-privileged characters in "Game of Thrones."

Well, none of the major characters in the book are smallfolk. The most the reader learns about the struggles of the common people comes from Arya's POV chapters in ACOK and Brienne's in AFFC. More attention paid to the smallfolk would be nice if there weren't only ten hours to cover the whole book; there's just not enough time.

I'm fine with her. I find it amusing that people think she took time away from other characters. She was there to give time to LF, Theon, Tyrion etc.

While I agree, all those scenes went on way too long and were pretty poorly written. That Littlefinger brothel scene was close to ten minutes; they could have shortened that by at least five minutes and spent more time on Robert's death scene, which I felt missed some good lines that were in the book. Plus, you have to admit that it's pretty silly that one prostitute has been in contact with Tyrion, Jon, Theon, and also Grand Maester Pycelle and Littlefinger, who are hundreds of mile away from where she started.

Archived