Aeron Greyjoy molested?

Ty3009

In his POV chapters he remembers a screaming door and associates it with him, and is terrified of the same thing when Euron is chosen king of the ironborn.

I must have missed that when I read his POV's, if thats true it sure makes Euron a hell of a lot more creepy.

His smiling eye is the creepiest thing. The fact that only one eye smiles. In his wiki entry it says he's wildly unpredictable, and he's also clever, monstrous, and has seen the world and tempered with dark magic, which is why I don't get this whole board just writing him off as a non-threat.

I just started reading A Game of Thrones for the second time this week and I've already started picking up things I've missed the first time.

I'm going to re-read the series again too... but verrrrrry slowly. finished all 5 books in like 3 months....ill try and take 3 years but i doubt thats possible

WAT.

No...seriously. I never got that ANYTHING like that happened. I mostly read that Euron and Aeron were somewhat similar in outlook until the insurrection. Aeron was a womanizing, piss-extending idiot, and Euron was a mystic, sister-in-law-raping JACKASS. Then Aeron was born-again, and Euron became a world-wandering sorcerer-pirate.

I never EVER got a molestation dynamic from Aeron. Or any of the Greyjoys, aside from Asha, who mentioned being harassed, but also having grievously injured her harassers.

WAT.

No...seriously. I never got that ANYTHING like that happened. I mostly read that Euron and Aeron were somewhat similar in outlook until the insurrection. Aeron was a womanizing, piss-extending idiot, and Euron was a mystic, sister-in-law-raping JACKASS. Then Aeron was born-again, and Euron became a world-wandering sorcerer-pirate.

I never EVER got a molestation dynamic from Aeron. Or any of the Greyjoys, aside from Asha, who mentioned being harassed, but also having grievously injured her harassers.

Aeron only remembered the screaming door in passing when thinking of Euron. Also apparently before he was exiled, Euron was fond of playing sadistic mind games, and even when he returned, you could tell he was a cruel bastard. And it's stated that all of his brothers hated him, along with Asha and Theon.

I'm going to re-read the series again too... but verrrrrry slowly. finished all 5 books in like 3 months....ill try and take 3 years but i doubt thats possible

I plan on taking my time again too. I went through them too quick last time myself. I wanna kill time until the ADWD paperback comes out.

WAT.

Mickey Mantle had been sexually abused as a boy and he wound up becoming a huge womanizer. Aeron getting molested could be the reason why become such a womanizer in the first place.

His smiling eye is the creepiest thing. The fact that only one eye smiles. In his wiki entry it says he's wildly unpredictable, and he's also clever, monstrous, and has seen the world and tempered with dark magic, which is why I don't get this whole board just writing him off as a non-threat.

I agree that Euron is probably being underestimated as a threat. Out of the remaining villians, the type of havoc he will cause if somewhat successful would be one of the more interesting. There is the unpredictable factor of his magic, his cunning, and also the thing about Moqorro seeing him as a huge issue for Daenerys. He is gambling hard but he has likely thought out the implications and consequences of his moves well in advance.

As for the door-hinge thing, the impression I got was that Aeron somehow connected it to what happened to Urri with Euron factoring in some manner.

Actually I've come up with the idea that it was Robin Greyjoy, the youngest Greyjoy brother who died young that was molested by Euron and that Aeron found out but couldn't prove it, a stray thought that Aeron had about Robin made me think this.

It was something along the lines of "And poor Robin, born of our father's wife who was not Ironborn, best not to think of him."

Why exactly would it be best not to think of him unless something REALLY bad happened?

I wouldn't worry about that, this theory isn't based on anyting in the books except

1. Aeron hates and fears Euron

2. Creaky hinge

Its a pretty big leap to assume he was molested by his brother.

Ok, then what's your explanation for the fact that when he's thinking about Euron Damphair repeatedly associates his brother with someone opening the door to his childhood bedroom (and he calls it a "screaming hinge", BTW, more than once)?

It's not definitive, but I think he - and probably his dead younger brother - was the victim of sexual abuse at Euron's hands. The evidence:

1 - he hates Euron

2 - he doesn't just fear Euron, Damphair all but collapses around him. This from a very strong willed man, from whom I have seen no evidence that he's afraid of anything else.

3 - he continually links Euron to the opening of the door of the room he shared in childhood with his brother, and that memory is a very fearful one.

4 - he identifies his inability to stand up to Euron with his pre-conversion self, who he links to weakness and femininity.

5 - he repeatedly tries to beat back his feelings of fear of Euron - again, always associated with the hinge of his childhood bedroom - with his faith. He's trying to convince himself that the child who was victimized is dead, and that now he's a different person.

6 - It doesn't seem out of character for Euron who is a self admitted rapist who has compared his own offspring to excrement.

That man is dead. Aeron had drowned and been reborn from the sea, the god's own prophet. No mortal man could frighten him, no more than the darkness could...nor memories, the bones of the soul. The sound of a door opening, the scream of a rusted hinge. Euron has come again. It did not matter. He was the Damphair priest, beloved of the god.

- FOC, The Prophet

He had run before the Crow's Eye as if he were still the weak thing he had been...I was reborn from the sea, a harder man and stronger. No mortal man could frighten him, no more than the darkness could, or the bones of his soul, the grey and grisly bones of his soul. The sound of a door opening, the scream of a rusted iron hinge.

- FOC, The Drowned Man

Nine sons were born from the loins of Quellon Greyjoy, and I was the least of them, as weak and frightened as a girl. But no longer. That man is drowned and the god has made me strong.

- FOC, The Prophet

It fits. IMO non-sexual violence doesn't fit as well because of the shame, the disassociation with his prior identity and his linking his weakness with feminine traits.

Archived