Patchface Project

Albatros

Whatever happened at Hardhome originally baffles (and scares) the hell out of me. On the one hand, it reads like an apocalyptic event — smoke and fires so bright they could be seen from the Wall. On the other hand, it seems like the result of someone or something actively doing something — people slaughtered for meat and sold into slavery. Combination of both?

I'm sure GRRM wants to foster ambiguity but he has certainly designed the different religious beliefs very carefully so they echo each other with directly overlapping.

The funny part is that you're ignoring that of course they think their God is the good one, and the Other god is the bad one. If the Storm Lord still had followers, they'd insist that the Drowned God is evil and theirs is merely doing what needs to be done.

Whatever happened at Hardhome originally baffles (and scares) the hell out of me. On the one hand, it reads like an apocalyptic event — smoke and fires so bright they could be seen from the Wall. On the other hand, it seems like the result of someone or something actively doing something — people slaughtered for meat and sold into slavery. Combination of both?

It sounds like a Valyrian attack.This was 300 years before AL,whereas the Doom was 100 years before AL,unless I've got it all wrong.

Both places are now said to be haunted by demons,ghouls etc.

Maybe Dragons involved,maybe just pyromancy.Maybe they kicked off some already latent volcanic stuff.

Likewise there are multiple interpretations so far of [The Flames] “Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,” Patchface sang somewhere. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

• It has been suggested that the smoke and fire represent Dany's dragons, but has also been pointed out that while she has a black and a green dragon, the third is cream and gold, not blue.
  • Alternatively, this could be referencing Moqorro, whoch certainly was under the sea and is called the "black flame", but then what about the green and blue flames?

I like the idea the "smoke rises in bubbles" might refer to Valyria or Hardhome, and that dragons might have something to do with it. Could dragons come out of a volcano? About the flames, well... IF Viserion died (and he does seem to be the weakest in the trio) and a sea dragon or an ice dragon really appeared, couldn't it be blue ou blue-ish? It could actually be the indication we need that another dragon will appear.

my personal opinion is that he is a priest of whatever force represents the drowned god, but his mind wasn't strong enough to withstand the inntitiation rights, just like damphairs mind wasn't able to undertstand the prophecies the magic of he ocaen was telling him.

I believe this is much _in_ the context. The Doom of Valyria is never specified, only that it shattered and sunk a part of the continent and created the Smoking Sea, which is said to be haunted and no-one wants to sail there. - Sort of Bermuda triangle, I guess. Anyway, if we want an area of undersea volcanic activity, here it goes.

Wasn't there also a prophecy about an undersea palace?

es] “Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,” Patchface sang somewhere. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

I'd take this prophecy to be the alliance between Moquorro and Victarion. I think the first part of the prophecy is hinting that they'll explore the ruins of Valyria somehow. I think the sea around the ruins is described as bubbling and smoking.

Sorry if this is out of context, but what exactly happened to Valarya? Was it just a volcanic eruption?

We know of volcanic eruptions and 300 foot waves,shattering much of the land and creating the smoking sea.

The theory part is that the Valyrians contributed to their own doom with fire magic etc.

We know of volcanic eruptions and 300 foot waves,shattering much of the land and creating the smoking sea.

The theory part is that the Valyrians contributed to their own doom with fire magic etc.

Can you provide the quotation? The information on the wiki page then has to be completed.

Patchface’s History

When their ship sank just off the coast of Storm's End, only Patchface survived, washing ashore several days later. He is currently in the employ of Stannis Baratheon as a jester and companion of his daughter.

Much like Davos' miraculous survival when he was washed out to sea after the Blackwater.

Archived