Ruining it for yourself.

Ser Barristan BadAss

I've had the same thing happen to me. I'll go to the wiki to look at a pic of how a character's supposed to look out of curiosity & find out their death or some such. Ugghh....hate that! I'm trying to stay off that now & really only post on the boards after I finish a book.

Due to my curious nature and the damn internet, I've spoiled things for myself more times than I can count.

I've made a conscious effort to not even go to the 'still reading' sections until I've finished the book now. I've stopped using the wiki all together. I thought it would be ok to use it with characters who have died, BUT NOPE! I did that with Catelyn Stark and found out she gets resurrected and turned into zombie Cat LMAO!

:bang: :dunno:

I managed to ruin so so many things for myself as well - Ned's death, Cat&Robb's death, Joffrey's death, Drogo's death... nearly all major deaths, it seems. :D These I accidentally stumbled on while browsing DeviantArt for fanart (always a bad idea if you have not finished the whole series) and looking for fun pictures in Google (even worse). After that I discovered several little things while lurking here, but nothing of quite that magnitude. I didn't mind much - those moments were still pretty damn breathtaking and intense!

I had ruined the fact that some people died, but I neverknew how it happened exactly so there was still some surprise. I have done what ckal has taken to doing, not going on boards tiil done w/a given book and staying off the wiki. I have one book left then I'll be caught up so it's not that much longer :).

Ha! I got spoiled about Robb and Cat on a different site entirely that had nothing to do with the books, so I was raging because I specifically made a point to stay away from anything that could potentially spoil me. That person surely got an ear full. Granted, I didn't know HOW it happened, but I knew it was coming.

Since then (that was last year) I avoided said site and just blew through the books as fast as I could... it was only until recently that I finished ADWD and felt safe to venture the internet again.

I cant read any of your comments except the first cause i am just starting aFfc. I believe i caught wind of a few things promised in this and the next book but i'm sticking my fingers in my ears going "LALALALALA!"

I totally ruined most of ASoS for myself... that and ruined all of arya's futureness cause im too bloody curious about her travels LOL

jessalyn

Just spoiled that for me haha! My own fault, being too reckless with the spoiler tabs

Hells bells. Will the tragedy tat befalls every Stark just stop! In fact don't answer that :)

Yup. Just did it too. My god. What is wrong with us?

Joff, Tywin, Renly, Theon taking Winterfell. And of course Robb. for Robb, in the end I think it was better that way. I'm not sure how I would have reacted if I had read it unspoiled.

ALL.THE.TIME...but I blame myself for clicking the spoiler button.

I don't want to, and I repeat it to myself over and over and over again...maybe it will find its way into my thick skull someday. Guess what I do? I click it anyway: "Oh come on, it can't be that bad". Usually it's worse.

And then I quickly put a hand on my eyes...but still peek through the fingers.

What is wrong with this person here? :bang:

What I hate is when I'll go and check out the wiki, to just see how, for curiosity's sake, they should look, and I see they died.. I'll thnk....WTF? ARRRGGH! I try to avoid details though so I don't know the exact way they died, ie. Red Wedding. That was kind of a shock for me.

I made the mistake of reading the background info of the houses on wikipedia - which also had plot revelations.

Same here. I should have known better.

Am still freaked about Catelyn/Stoneheart. That is just wrong. Ugh.

Spoiler is my middle name! I'm trying not to spoiler myself any more about ADWD! I know already quite a lot! -.-" At least i keep away of the details! For example i knew about Tywin's death but wasn't aware of the killer :P. A Winds of Winter would be my spoiler-free novel and GRRM will eventually have the chance to surprise me! :P

I sometimes have to remind myself with a quick Google image search of certain characters, or perhaps if i'm struggling to come up with a mental image of that character after reading the description of their appearance i'll do the same.. 8 out of 10 times it'll be useful, the other 2 times I'll stumbled upon spoilers in the image or image titles ...

Only one thing comes to mind. Another forum a few years ago, I was reading a topic about creepy developments in books/TV series and one of the posts was something about Littlefinger and Sansa that I only half remember because I had no idea what ASoIaF was at the time and only sort of read it because in thsoe kind of topics you only read the ones you know about and then post your own. This memory was awakened by Tourney of the Hand in the TV show where he keeps talking to her so I read the books assuming he was going to try something untoward with Sansa.

Just plucking a character name into Google, even without hitting search, spoils things! I'll search for a characters name, and the Google suggestions from other people's searches pop up with "[character name] death" or something of the like. Before I even finished ACoK I knew the basics of some characters' stories almost right through the end of ADwD just from accidentally seeing things on the interwebs when I went to look up things I had forgotten, or whatnot. I just finished ASoS and I knew all about the Red Wedding. There were more things that were spoiled for me than not. I couldn't get too upset about it because it was my own fault most of the time.

For ASoS, I was completely in the dark about Jon's arc, I had no idea Samwell would pop up with a POV, and although I knew Arya was eventually destined for Braavos I didn't know any details or know what would happen along the way. I pretty much knew everything that would go down around King's Landing and all the deaths there. Still, everything was a riveting read, but I wish I hadn't spoiled it. For Jon's whole story, I thought my heart would jump out of my chest everytime I finished one of his chapters, and I wish I could have felt that for the other characters.

I have a really, really bad habit of flipping to the last page of the book i'm reading and this series was no exception, Bran being alive was spoiled, as was Cat being a zombie in SoS's epilogue.

I do the same thing, for some reason. With most books, it doesn't seem to matter because you don't have enough context to understand what is happening on the last page anyway. With GRRM, he always drops the bombshell in the last sentence of the chapters. I had to laugh at your post because those two chapters are like "And Bran/Catelyn is actually alive" in the last sentences. :D

That's soo true. I always read the last pages before even reading the first one...Sometimes when I read a particular chapter I check the last sentence too... :( And I know I shouldn't but I'm so intrigued by the plot that I just can't wait to know what happens next :D

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the HBO series before I even knew about ASoIF but that's how I got interested in the books.

Then I read GoT & went on to ACoK while watching season 2. The books are (obviously) so much more involved that I didn't feel spoiled by watching the show. If anything I liked to see how they altered the books to fit in to a TV format. I'm not entirely pleased with how they did. Show seems a bit 'soap operish.' Sex scenes to shock not to enhance the context of the story.

Where I did get myself in trouble, as many of you have mentioned, is when I started to look up characters & history to help me understand references made in a particular chapter I was reading. Sometimes I just couldn't remember who a character was and looked them up & BAM found out something I didn't need to know yet - like Joffrey's death.

I get nervous when I start to like or cheer for a particular character because I just know they are going to die, get maimed or reappear in some ghastly form. As I read I kept exclaiming out loud, 'he just killed so & so, Jaime lost his hand... etc. (I actually cringed when I read that section) and my husband said to me, 'Quit reading it if it's so upsetting to you' but then he started to ask after every exclaimation or head pounding on table moment 'who died now for God's sake?'

What a ride these books are!!! Well, just got my copy of ADwD so can't wait for some more head pounding on table, gasping moments...I open these pages with great anticipation mixed with a healthy dose of fear.

I do it all the time. Spoiled Ned's death by googling his name and spoiled the Red Wedding and Catelyn Tully's death by reading Edric Dayne's wiki page. So Edric had like three lines of dialogue in the book and definitely did not expect his page to contain any spoilers.... Dammit.

Archived