February 2012 - Leap Year Reads?

jdiddyesquire

Just zoomed my way through the Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell. I liked them, some better than others but I wish they were meatier. I hate reading a book in a 2 days (or less), kinda makes me feel ripped off.

Going to read some Sharon Kay Penman next, I'm excited about that. Very meaty. :thumbsup:

Just finished the Hammer by K.J. Parker. Wow I knew something was wrong but never expected what happened. It's a very gritty book, even gritier than the Folding Knife. Move on to some Abercombie.

I liked Hammer better than Folding Knife, but they are both excellent.

Working pretty quickly through Blackout by Connie Willis. Enjoying it so far. Never read anything else by her, get the impression that there are other books set in this future, but this is the first book of a series and it feels like a fine starting point.

Haven't read Blackout/All Clear yet, but have read her Doomsday Day Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog which also have the future historians travelling back to periods in history. Both are great.

Currently I'm starting The Sunne in Splendour. Ijust finished King's 11/22/63, another history/time travel book to follow the theme of this post.

Finished Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. On the one hand it was a very easy read and was well researched (the non-vampire parts anyway). On the other, I didn't buy the premise of vampires being behind the Civil War at all. Plus, I got really annoyed that the author had to quote the secret Lincoln dairy several times a page, which tended to take me out of the narrative. Frankly, I wouldn't have read this if a friend from work hadn't given it to me.

Also read Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds. Most of the stories in the collection were fairly good. The title story of the collection was good, but I wish Reynolds had put it in with Absolution Gap instead of writing it separately.

Now reading Percepliquis by Michael J. Sullivan.

The title story of the collection was good, but I wish Reynolds had put it in with Absolution Gap instead of writing it separately.

The story is separate because Reynolds actually wrote it years before Absolution Gap (It was originally published back in 1999).

The story is separate because Reynolds actually wrote it years before Absolution Gap (It was originally published back in 1999).

Maybe so. But then he should have done something different for the ending of Absolution Gap then. Neither that plotline nor the Inhibitors were adequately dealt with in the novel.

Finished Blackout. It was really good, so much that I had to immediately check out All Clear (the sequel) instead of hitting up the other books I have.

Luckily I have a bit of free time coming up so I should be able to get through a few books!

Finished Eisenhorn. Now I am going to reread Kitty and the Midnight Hour. Was going to pick up the new one, and realized I had no idea what was going on the series anymore. So I will start over.

Thats right. I went from Space Deamons to Werewolves. Reading some high brow stuff these days.

I finished Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton. It's basically a Victorian novel of manners where almost all the characters are dragons (a human ambassador shows up briefly very near the end but really isn't part of the story.) The main plot lines have to do with two sisters who are having trouble finding suitable husbands, set in a culture where the aristocracy literally eats those who are deemed to be physically weak, and where funerals involve the family eating their deceased loved ones. I found the book very well-done but not terribly exciting.

Now I've started The Player, Michael Tolkin's very dark comic story of a Hollywood producer.

I finished Fire Study, the last book in the series, by Maria Snyder. Even though it closed all the threads neatly I was less engaged in this concluding volume. I can't put my finger on why that is.

I've already devoured 150 pages of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I'm loving it so far.

Next in the queue is City of Pearl, Saints Astray, and the Seeds of Earth. Figured I had to get through the dust-collecting British import on my shelf before I could justify springing for the new Reynolds..

Finished What is the What by Dave Eggers. A powerful, moving, and eye-opening read. Achak Deng's story is heartbreaking, yet leaves you with a sense of hope.

Also finished The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I very much enjoyed it, with one small caveat; I felt the themes of this novel too closely paralleled the themes of The Shadow of the Wind, and wish that Zafon would have branched out a little. Other than that though, it was a wonderful book.

Now on to Life and Times of Michael K by J. M. Coetzee.

Archived