A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

continue.

In an effort to keep this one to 'small questions' please use the 'multiquote' function if you addressing numerous posts.

Also, if a question has been answered, it is unnecessary to answer it again.

Finally, feel free to direct boarders to existing threads on issues canvassed here.

Has it ever been explained why the stones of prison cells under the Dragonstone are so warm?

(It is remarked in ASoS by Davos while he is held prisoner there. I'm fascinated by the secrets of that place!)

Re-reading (well, listening to Roy Dotrice) ACOK... how did Jaquen know Arya's real identity? At this point only Gendry knew, with Yoren dead.

There is a theory that Jaqen is the same man who called himself Syrio Forel.

Re-reading (well, listening to Roy Dotrice) ACOK... how did Jaquen know Arya's real identity? At this point only Gendry knew, with Yoren dead.

I got the impression that he heard her praying to the weirwood trees about her father. After reading your question went back and read it again. Now I am way less sure of it, because it is not clear what words she said out loud and what words were said in her head, but it is still a possibility. Or he could have pieced little things together. Her reaction when Cersei's knights appeared looking for someone, her evening prayers, her sword, her naming herself "Arry" (when riding with Gregor he surely have heard about Arya Stark). And he was trained to notice things.

My guess is that Jaqen overheard Arya and Gendry talking in the armory, before she went to the godswood that night. He could have been following her around, waiting for a chance to talk to her alone.

I'm re-reading AGOT at the moment, and I think it has been mentioned in another post about the silly things that happen in the books, when someone mentioned why didn't anyone realise before Jon Arryn did that these were not King Bob's kids.

Anyway, following on from this, when Ned is investigating Jon Arryn's death, he sees two of King Bob's bastards and recalls Mya Stone's birth as well. Why didn't he cotton on then by their colouring? Why did he have to have a book spell it out to him?

There is a theory that Jaqen is the same man who called himself Syrio Forel.

And that's another thing I don't get - why do people believe that there's only Braavosi guy kicking about in the whole of Westeros? It's the same with the alchemist in the prologue to AFFC, people believe that's also Jaqen H'Gar. I might be missing something, but surely there are more than one FM with a hit list in Westeros.

I'm re-reading AGOT at the moment, and I think it has been mentioned in another post about the silly things that happen in the books, when someone mentioned why didn't anyone realise before Jon Arryn did that these were not King Bob's kids.

Anyway, following on from this, when Ned is investigating Jon Arryn's death, he sees two of King Bob's bastards and recalls Mya Stone's birth as well. Why didn't he cotton on then by their colouring? Why did he have to have a book spell it out to him?

I think there's a big difference in thinking most of his children having a certain trait (at this point he still believes Joff, Tomm and Myrcella to be Robert's), than reading in a book that it's always been that way throughout history.

I think there's a big difference in thinking most of his children having a certain trait (at this point he still believes Joff, Tomm and Myrcella to be Robert's), than reading in a book that it's always been that way throughout history.

Oh, okay, you're probably right and I suppose concluding this earlier on would have been hampered by someone like Ned Stark doing the investigating.

And that's another thing I don't get - why do people believe that there's only Braavosi guy kicking about in the whole of Westeros? It's the same with the alchemist in the prologue to AFFC, people believe that's also Jaqen H'Gar. I might be missing something, but surely there are more than one FM with a hit list in Westeros.

I don't know about Syrio Forel, but if you carefully read the description of the alchemist in the AFFC prologue and the description of the face Jaquen takes when he leaves Arya, they are very similar.

I don't know about Syrio Forel, but if you carefully read the description of the alchemist in the AFFC prologue and the description of the face Jaquen takes when he leaves Arya, they are very similar.

Cool, I knew it was possibly me missing something. I will make sure I pay more attention when I get to my AFFC reread.

Yes and GRRM is good at making minor charecters reappear through out the books. With all the hype we get from Jaqen H'ghar in ACoK, it would be pretty anticlimactic if he were to never appear in the books again. I personally think, that it is way cool(er) if it was Jaqen H'ghar in Oldtown, opposed to some random FM that we have not met. With the assumption that it was Jaqen H'ghar, it gives that much more depth, into what happened in Oldtown with Pate. I personally feel more interested/invested in that prologue chapter, believing it was Jaqen.

Some small questions:

Who is the "bastard" that Varys mentions to Illyrio in the conversation Arya overhears in the dragonskull room ?

"Yet Lord Stark's the one who troubles my sleep. He has the bastard, he has the book, and soon enough he'll have the truth"

Some supporting evidence to R+L=J, or simply a mention of Gendry ?

How can the mountain clans remain independent from any lord? Where did they come from ?

Archived