I think theres some connection between Daerons dream of Baelor Breakspear as a dragon in the Hedge Knight and Dameon II Blackfyre (john the fiddler) dreaming of a dragon being born at the tourney in the Mystery Knight(the rise of Egg as a Targ according to Bloodraven) and the dream of a dragon rising from the cyrpts of Winterfell. (and I believe Egg was told of a dragon being born at Summerhall on the day of Rhaegars birth)

Yep, this is where I get the idea that "a dragon means a Targaryen." And yes, I also posed a theory earlier that the Ghost of High Heart told Aegon V that she saw a dragon born at Summerhall. Aegon V tried to hatch an egg, they burned the damn house down and in the end the dragon was Rhaegar.

And Dany isn´t aware of Azor Ahai´s Legend.

What I was trying to say is, that this only direct mentioning of the three heads.

Where did Rhaegar get the idea that this Targ. tradition is connected with the legend of TPtwP.

This is all mostlyTargaryen history/mythology.

Dany doesn´t seem aware of the legend of Azor Ahai yet. Why didn´t she ask about: the SoIaF in the house of the Undying, I wonder.

What did Rhaegar read, when he changed to become a fighter/ started to believe he was TPtwP.

(Did he just engage with Lyanna to sire the 3. head - or - did he justify his love for her with the necessity for a 3 headed dragon.)

I think the lost books that Baelor destroyed, mentioned by Tyrion when recollecting his knowledge of dragons on the Shy Maid are a good possibility.

I think it is not foretold, that Dany is one of the 3 heads or TPtwP.

I want to question Rhaegars nobility, because I think him a calculating character. And I want to know what he read.

I love the theory on this thread!

Martin's relentless repetition of the "The dragon must have 3-heads" has always annoyed me. Mainly because the thought of three characters riding dragons sounds so stupid (and so anti-Martin). But the "One character with three 'heads'" is exactly the sort of twist he would take, since everyone (including Rhegar) seems to be expecting three literal people riding dragons like the original Targs. I hope it's true (and if it is, the only plausible candidates are Jon, Dany, and maybe a child between them).

Very nice thread, thanks Apple Martini for starting it! And thank you Sevumar for the quotes of the mentioning of dragons and three heads. I was on the look out for the same inventory during a re-read. It's nice to have all quotes nicely posted here. There must be another quote, I think, by Aemon? I'll try and find it.

The thing that comes to mind when seeing all those quotes together is what I suspected.

The prophecy is about a dragon with three heads, not about dragons (plural).

And the idea that heads equal riders evidently comes from Jorah's wedding proposal to Dany. He is solliciting for a post as one of the three.

Hmm ... a nice example of an interpretation based on wishful thinking for an outcome he would very much like, to marry Dany.

Could be he is right in his interpretation, but it can also be that he blurred and obscured her thoughts with it.

Here's another version.

"The Dragon must have three heads" refers to how the dragons can be controlled:

The first head: The Dragons own head

The second: The person that is riding the dragon

The third: The skinchanger that is warging the dragon

All this three "heads" must work in unison for the dragon to be controlled.

Edit: Come to think of it, when Dany subdued Drogon in ADwD, it was only to the extent that he let her ride him.

But Drogon went where he wanted, Dany had no control over that. She just had to go along for the ride.

So do we know about any Targs that was wargs? Well, Bloodraven certainly had Targ blood.

His skinchanger abilitys may have come from the Blackwoods, off course.

I fully believe that the three heads of the dragon will be Dany, Jon and Bran. But the three riders will be Dany, Jon and Tyrion. It seems very likely to me that Aegon originally conquered Westeros because he thougt he fulfilled the prophecy. Clearly there is a reason that Aemon and Rhaegar (who know considerably more about the prophecy than we do) think that Aegon and his sisters are so relevant to the dragon having three heads.

Thank you. :D

I'll also point out that if Martin wanted to be cheeky, he could say that "not all of the heads have to be Targaryen," and still fit within my theory. If one head is a Stark and one is the Night's Watch, then "not every head would be a Targaryen." B)

I thought he said that the third head didn't have to be a Targaryen?

The (singular) dragon has three heads.

On the note of the riders of Dany´s dragon I can agree with you.

I hope Tyrion will get his chance to "play" with dragons, as long as it´s only him getting burned.

He´s a survivor he can take physical harm but he doesn´t need more guilt on his head.

Reading all those Targ names I'm happy that Ned named him Jon :D

Apple Martini, I just have to :bowdown: let me tell you that you're freaking good with theories. I like this one, cause I really dislike that "3 heads 3 riders" theory. I had myself a theory (yes, a bit absurd) about the 3 heads being the dragon itself, the rider and a warg ("warging" the dragon, obviously :P ) but yours, makes much more sense since I'm pretty convinced that when a prophecy talks about dragons means Targs and not real dragons.So, Jon: Snow, Stark and Targaryen, a dragon with 3 "heads" just saying ^_^

I Like this one as well 3 heads = A dragon, a warg and a rider.

Nice approach to the wording the dragon(singular) has three heads not dragons. Varamyr was called Sixskins becuase he warged into five animals(three wolves, shadowcat and a snow bear), he wore the skins of five animals plus himself. Heads can substituted for skins when talking about wargs.

Plus, in the Dunk and Egg tales, dragon is a metaphor for a Targaryen. If Jon manages to warg one of Dany's dragons, then it fits the prophecy: the dragon(Jon) has three heads(the heads of himself, Ghost and Drogon).

As for the prophecy pre-dating the Targ sigil, well, prophecy is foretelling an event in the future, if the prophecy contains knowledge of one thing in the future, who is to say it can't contain knowledge of other things in the future.

It seems very likely to me that Aegon originally conquered Westeros because he thougt he fulfilled the prophecy. Clearly there is a reason that Aemon and Rhaegar (who know considerably more about the prophecy than we do) think that Aegon and his sisters are so relevant to the dragon having three heads.

I think if you go back to Aenar Targaryen whose daughter had visions, could have possibly foreseen the Doom and that the PtwP would be born of the Targaryen line, so they went to Dragonstone to facilitate this. Aegon and his sisters could have believed they were the three heads of the dragon, and possibly conquered Westeros to have a united force against the Long Night. The idea of the Targs being three heads of the dragon passed through the generations.

Archived