Whores and Lord Tywin

Ygrette

It's because of Tytos's relationship with his mistress, and because Tywin is just a hypocrite. I think think the secret passage to Chattaya's was built for his use actually.

This is an interesting idea. Was the secret passage in the chambers of the King's Hand? It would make sense - wasn't Tywin the King's Hand before he was Joffrey's Hand? I always thought there was more to Tywin than just being cold and hard.

Tytos is Tywin's father. He took a mistress after Tywin's mother died, and she was common born, but rose to a position of power as Tytos's mistress. Tywin being a tightass hated this and as soon as Tytos died, he made the mistress do a naked shame walk like Cersei, to bring her back to the level of a "whore."

Yeah, I think Tywin was hand on and off a couple of times, and that passage leads directly from the Tower of the Hand to Chattaya's, IIRC. Varys told Tyrion it was added in for a previous Hand who wanted his activities kept secret, so it fits that the Hand was Tywin

• 2 months later...

I never thought about the passage as being for Tywin until now. I know on my evetual re-read I'll see even more lol. I think Tyrion disgusts Tywin, his looks, his whoring n the way he does, him being a constant reminder of Joanna's death. He treats him totally unfairly. Tyrion is just as smart as Tywin ever was and maybe the fact that he can't be ignored and locked away irks him even more. I felt so bad for Tyrion when Tywin told him he'd never have Casterly Rock, it's like he doesn't want to give him any credit. It makes you wonder why he sent to be Hand of the King during the war even. I do agree though, Tywin is no dumbie and knew about Jamie and Cersei the whole time, that's why he has gone to such great pains to keep them separated at times.

• 2 years later...

Tytos is Tywin's father. He took a mistress after Tywin's mother died, and she was common born, but rose to a position of power as Tytos's mistress. Tywin being a tightass hated this and as soon as Tytos died, he made the mistress do a naked shame walk like Cersei, to bring her back to the level of a "whore."

It's revealed somewhere in the book that Tywin hated his father because he viewed him as weak. I think there are 2 reasons listed as to why he thought that (although I'm sure there were many more). It's mentioned that Tytos (Tywin's father) let his Lord's Bannermen walk all over him. He also kept a "whore" for a mistress. Clearly Tywin had some serious daddy issues which = hates whores.

I never thought about the passageway being built for him (while he was the Hand of the Mad King I'm assuming)... that's an interesting theory.

It might be a bit spoilerish, but GRRM has read a chapter of the World of Ice and Fire, to be released in October this year, about the Westerlands at the ConCarolinas. The notes can be found here.

To summarize, in the notes

we see just what kind of a Lord Tytos was. His bannermen laughed at him, and his mistress bossed him around. In addition, when Tywin's parents hadn't been married for that long, Tytos' older brother Tion had been married to Ellyn Reyne. Ellyn failed to get pregnant by her husband before his death, and in an attempt to keep a place at Casterly Rock and regain her power, she tried to seduce Tytos. Her attempts failed, however.

But this does fall in the same category as Tytos' later mistress. A woman who is trying to gain power at CR by sleeping with the (future) ruler.

Tywin hates weakness, and being laughed at, and Tyrion is already a point of mockery for House Lannister. Tywin could very well fear that Tyrions public whoring would become a point of mockery again, as

Tytos' affairs were also openly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived