Gendry and Arya

Cap Ou Pas Cap

This is about Gendry. Arya included.

Gendry has all the qualities of a protgonist: kingly blood, good character and a favorite of a female ass-kicking protagonist. Yet this is why I think he might not have any further significance in the story. GRRM will serve him as an example that "nothing means anything".

I imagine him surfacing once more for a few lines in Arya's story as an indicator that Arya has completely forgotten her old self and Gendry included.

Yet their relationship was one of my favorite. Do you think it meant anything for Gendry that she run away and was taken by the Hound? Is this one of the reasons why he seems not so much his former self when we see him again with Brienne? Will they fight again side by side?

Will GRRM expand his story or is it wrapped up already?

I always thought Arya had a little crush on Gendry, I'm not sure if anything will come of it. But I DO think we will see more of Gendry, at the very least they (whoever wins the throne)will use him as proof of Tommen's illegitimacy, since Edric Storm is out of reach. It won't be hard for someone to recognize him as Robert's bastard, it took Brienne all of 5 minutes to piece it together, and she would have told him if it wasn't for Rorge (or biter forget which one) showing up.

I love them. On the romance thread I posted that they were the surest couple for me. I can't see her being with anyone else, if she slows down later in the series. LOL! I love when he laughed when she put on the acorn dress, knowing instinctively that she was miserable. He does know her and appreciates the brave and the sometimes scary of her, but he knows she will do what it takes to free herself or survive the situations they were in. Can't imagine what he thinks about her being taken by the Hound.

I surely hope we see more of him, I thought Gendry and Arya were hella cute together.

But I am beginning to think that there are so many little side stories left open, that GRRM can't possibly revisit them all in a satisfying way, and still finish the series in 2 more books. :dunno: But I hope Gendry is one of the lucky ones who get to show up again.

Edit: Also, a young version of Lyanna and a young version of Robert B having a storyline together - if that's not foreshadowing for something, then I don't know what is...

Do we know if Gendry is interested in women?

He wasn't interested in the prostitutes in the inn, and he looks like Renly and is about Loras' age .... :devil:

Aehm, just kidding :leaving:

But I do also hope to see him again and even more to see him survive

There are not that many friendships in ASoIaF. Two others I can think of is Robert/Eddard and Jon/Sam. But Robert and Ned are both dead, Sam and Jon are not really equals in their relationship. Couldn't Nymeria befriend Gendry until Arya omes back and REMEMBERS him, damn it! :idea: Befriend not meaning "eat".

I quite like Gendry and also hope we see him again. He's been given an interesting story and it would be good to see "the Bull" kicking-ass with the Brotherhood or reuniting with Arya.

There are not that many friendships in ASoIaF. Two others I can think of is Robert/Eddard and Jon/Sam. But Robert and Ned are both dead, Sam and Jon are not really equals in their relationship. Couldn't Nymeria befriend Gendry until Arya omes back and REMEMBERS him, damn it! :idea: Befriend not meaning "eat".

You're right, there are remarkably few genuine friendships. Arya herself doesn't seem to have had many actual friends at all, but Gendry's friendship is genuine and probably part of the reason why I like his character. It's good to see her interact with someone who likes her for who she is rather than being disappointed by her lack of noble lady attributes. Similarly I enjoyed her later interactions with the Hound for this reason.

I love the idea that they could get together but at this point, Arya is so beyond any of the innocence that she shared with Gendry, I don't see them being able to relate to each other anymore.

Also, I always thought that Gendry had a crush on her but not that she had a crush on him. She wasn't old enough to appreciate that kind of bond at the time that they were companions.

I loved this couple in the books. I especially enjoyed the scene where Gendry does not go for any of the whores at the inn, but instead ends up later on in a ticke fight with Arya. He has feelings for her; that is clear. He's also jealous when Ned Dayne shows up.

Ditto to all the comments above. The problem is Gendry is a bastard, even if he's the king's bastard. Henry VIII and a lot of other English and French kings had bastards that they recoginized, looked after, educated and gave lands and titles to. Henry VIII had a famous male bastard that was given quite a high position. And English history is full of male bastards made lords and female bastards married off to lords.

The reason the kings recognized these bastards was because they were evidence the kings could perform and could produce sons and daughters. Imagine how pissed Henry was over the fact that he could get sons outside of marriage but not with his wives.

But the important fact is, they recognized them and the court acknowledged them. Queen Cersei hated Robert's bastards, would not allow them to be acknowledged, and went about trying to kill them as soon as Robert was dead. There is no one around now who would ask for Gendry to be legitimized, and no on to take on his education and training. And no one to give him lands and titles. He doesn't seem interested in becoming a knight, which would be a path to raise himself up. If a Stark became king, and Gendry did something noble, perhaps he would be made a lord, but at the moment we don't have enough information to go on.

Sad to say, Gendry is simply not suitable for Arya at the moment.

He doesn't seem interested in becoming a knight, which would be a path to raise himself up.
Doesn't need to, he is already one. The Lightning Lord has seen to it. And he has risen in Lady Stonehearts part of the BWB. After all, he is defacto commander of one of the major scouting posts of the BWB. Hmm, if a Stark/Tully/BWB alliance regains the Riverlands, who will get the vacant Lordships? Darry, Frey, Whent? Maybe Ser Gendry Waters becomes Lord Gendry Darry.

I don't think Arya and Gendry will cross paths again, however I don't think we've seen the last of Gendry. I could definitely see Gendry swinging a war hammer in the next couple books, I don't know that it is a coincidence that he works all day with a hammer as a blacksmith. Perhaps once Edric (Storm) Baratheon becomes the head of the house (after Stannis' death), he will return and be a knight in the service of his younger brother.

It could be just an another one of GRRM sick jokes. He danced aroung for a few times with Gendry discovering his identity just to take it away at the very last moment, So in the end he will leave it as it is, because , frankly nobody really gives a damn about king Robert and his progeny anymore.

On the other hand may be Gendry will play important part and will become the leader of BWB, once Stoneheart is gone (and she will be gone one way or another) - after all they are the "king's Robert men". May be he will have part in this as well, being so stuborn , may be he will try to defend Brayin (sp?) since she acted nobly and tried to protect them from Biter and Co...

BTW: I don't remember, but did Brayin had time to eat at that inn before biter came? Wasn't she under guest right protection?

My post from a few weeks ago:

My favorite is Arya and Gendry. She has been and is still on a hard road and has been to some very dark places personally and in likewise situations. She is by all accounts like her aunt Lyanna, and he really reminds me of the very best of Ned.

In a few years of course, he is the best for her. She needs a normal, regular guy, and damn it, he is such a nice one too. A smarter Robert and with more brains and restraint. Sweet and low-key, but he is tough as nails if he has to be. And something that can never be replicated in life, someone who knows you, cares for you, and appreciates you for exactly who you are, good and bad. He has seen her at her very best and very worst and he just seems to intrinsically understand. They were friends first and now there is history. He knows her from a very young age at the most very trying time in her life. Because I hope it gets better for her in the end.

For me, she either goes is alone at the end or its him.

One of my favorites is when she enters the room with her pretty dress and he busts out laughing. He knew, he knew she was pissed. It was a great scene.

Love them!

It could be just an another one of GRRM sick jokes. He danced aroung for a few times with Gendry discovering his identity just to take it away at the very last moment.

BTW: I don't remember, but did Brayin had time to eat at that inn before biter came? Wasn't she under guest right protection?

If he is not the slowest character in the books, he should have realized who he is by now. I think he knows. But I would like him to be important to the story in other things than that. Still he did not seem exactly in his place when Brienne visited. But he did not eat with her, so he did not brake the guest law. At least that much.

She is by all accounts like her aunt Lyanna, and he really reminds me of the very best of Ned.

Arya is clearly becoming very beautiful by this time. It is learly implicated in the books. Will this come into play? If Aegon will try to carry her away, I will have my own rebellion. Sigh.

Archived