Gendry and Arya

Cap Ou Pas Cap

Yes, I totally agree! I may be dating myself here, but does anyone remember the Thorn Birds? Ralph is a young man when he first meets Maggie but it's clear that there's something about her that attracts him. It's not weird or squicky that Maggie is so young because it's not a sexual thing at that point. Then later, when Maggie grows up, things change.

This, very much. Attraction doesn't have to be sexual and/or creepy, and GRRM, as creeptastic as he can get on occasion, certainly doesn't write them the creepy way.

I watched Thorn Birds many many times, their re-runs used to be quite popular in Europe :)

I have to be the voice of dissent here. The thought of a 15 year old falling in love with a 9 year old does not appeal to me at all.

Yes but this is hardly the first story about the bonds of a young friendship blossoming into something else at an appropriate age later, the question is is there time for that.

On whether or not it's been confirmed if Lord Commander Ser Duncan the Tall was officially knighted

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Norescon_Boston_MA_September_2_67/

this is from the Citadel in a SSM and Martain said

"Dunk was not knighted by Ser Arlan of Pennytree"

so Dunk got around just fine as a knight, whether or not he was knighted later on I doubt because he had lied the whole time, but who knows Dunk and Egg were close. So Gendry is a knight.

I love the idea that they could get together but at this point, Arya is so beyond any of the innocence that she shared with Gendry, I don't see them being able to relate to each other anymore.

Also, I always thought that Gendry had a crush on her but not that she had a crush on him. She wasn't old enough to appreciate that kind of bond at the time that they were companions.

I agree. There was an incipient romance between Arya and Gendry, but the path Arya is now on is so far from this. She's becoming so powerful, but losing, and not developing, other parts of her identity. She's not becoming a sexual being, even gender is something she could now slip in and out of as the situation demands. The skills she's learning are distancing her from possibilities of intimacy, or friendship. As it now stands.

I think Arya was heartbroken when Gendry and the others (but especially him) did not stick with her, and become a member of her pack. If they'd stuck together, things might have been different. Do you see this as a turning point for Arya?

I like the song Tom O'Sevens sang when Gendry and Arya were fighting in Acorn hall.

My featherbed is deep and soft, and there I’ll lay you down,

I’ll dress you all in yellow silk, and on your head a crown.

For you shall be my lady love, and I shall be your lord.

I’ll always keep you warm and safe, and guard you with my sword.

And how she smiled and how she laughed, the maiden of the tree.

She spun away and said to him, no featherbed for me.

I’ll wear a gown of golden leaves, and bind my hair with grass,

But you can be my forest love, and me your forest lass.

Arya wore an acorn dress in the scene, so she is "the lady o the tree". And the knight o this song insisted that a lady must have silks and feathers, like Gendry did. It is about them. Now I am waiting for take two :smug:

I feel like GRRM has dropped some major foreshadowing hintage:

Arya looks like Lyanna

Gendry looks like Renly, who looks like a young Robert

Robert was in love with Lyanna and was engaged to her

I also like how Gendry was the only to figure out that Arya was really a girl when they were on the kingsroad.

I would like to see the two together, but I also think that Arya's a little too headstrong to be tied down :)

But then I think that is something that Gendry likes about her

Edit: the way things are going, with regard to Gendry being appropriate for Arya. If Stannis wins, it's somewhat likely Gendry would be legitimized and declared an heir, given Shireen's condition and the EXTREME unlikelihood that Stannis is going to make another kid with Selyse. Although it's possible Selyse dies and Stannis remarries, I guess. Though I cannot at all see Arya as Queen Consort.

There are several problems with that:

1. Stannis legitimizing Gendry as the son of Robert would have the same result as Dany legitimizng Jon as the son of Rhaegar: the legitimized bastard would come before the ruler who legitimized them in the line of succession (as the child of their older sibling), not after them as their heir.

2. How many nobles that Gendry is supposed to be ruling over would be okay with bowing down to an unrefined former blacksmith? The folk from Flea Bottom can rise to the positions of LC of KG and Hand of the King, but is it really possible for the position of King?

3. Gendry doesn't have a personality like Robert, who was a good leader at least in times of war, or Stannis, who wants the crown because he believes it's his by right and wants to do his duty, or very sociable Renly. From what I remember, he always acts grumpy and like he wants to be left alone, what is there to him in ruling?

Hot Pie of course would be the castle's baker, and so on.

Hot Pie as the castle baker in Arya's castle, I love this idea so much!

She is old. For him.

The age difference between Gendry and Brienne can't be bigger than the one between Arya and Gendry (if it isn't less), just saying :P

• 2 months later...

I thought they were cute together and I always got the distinct inpression that he sort of had a crush on her. Either that or he really has a lot of respect for her as she's a highborn "lady" but she held her own among the nights watch recruits.

I do think it would be really lame if Arya ended up with Aegon and Gendry would get all mad about it.

I don't particularly see why Gendry would be what Arya needs or the only one she could be with. First of all he left her. Maybe he had good reason to but he still left her. She abandoned the whole pack thing because of it.

In ADWD she doesn't think about him anymore and she said that she liked being Cat of the Canals more than any of her other identities which includes the time she spent with him.

Arya should be 12 now. She's getting closer to puberty stage. Most girls have a type and we don't know what her type is. In Braavos she mainly hangs out with men and the female companions she has are mostly sex workers besides Bruscoes daughters. One of which lets boys touch her. Chances are that she would meet someone there eventually.

Of course plot wise she has to go back to Westeros but I still don't think it's necessary for her to see Gendry again especially if she comes back with Dany. She will have more exciting things to deal with.

Arya and Gendry would be great together. A romantic future between them may seem unlikely at the moment, but not too long ago I would have thought Tyrion going to Mereen would be unlikely.

Does anyone think that Jaime will give Gendry's identity away? He was KG and would likely see the resemblance a soon as Brienne gets him to the BWB. Brienne held her tongue, but Jaime is a risk taker. Of course, it wouldn't be in the best interests of Jaime's kids...any thoughts?

Archived