Gendry and Arya

Cap Ou Pas Cap

Arya does not want to be a married Lady, for goodness sake, let her have her wish and not muck up her story with romance... please please :)

Arya and Gendry did form a strong bond, as friends and "siblings" looking out for each other. I hope they'll see each other again.

And I do think Gendry is set to be a character of much more importance in the next two novels. But NOT as Arya's love interest.

I have to say that I completely disagree with this. Gendry's not even a major player in the books and there's no guarantee that we'll even see him again. And Arya doesn't need a romantic storyline in any way. Giving every character a love interest regardless of whether they need one is something bad writer's and Walt Disney do.

You don't seem to understand how nice of a parallel a Gendry -Arya/Sansa pairing would form.

Looming over all the characters at the start of the novels was the failed Robert - Lyanna pairing. Basically all the hardships can be traced to that. So, if at the end of the series the Others are dealt with and someone new takes the IT, a succesful Gendry -Arya/Sansa pairing would be a nice way to signal this new and promising start for Westeros.

Arya does not want to be a married Lady, for goodness sake, let her have her wish and not muck up her story with romance... please please :)

Arya and Gendry did form a strong bond, as friends and "siblings" looking out for each other. I hope they'll see each other again.

And I do think Gendry is set to be a character of much more importance in the next two novels. But NOT as Arya's love interest.

To be fair a pairing can happen without her becoming a lady. I have always been partial to an ending where Arya-Gendry and the Pie that was Promised re-unite and live as Lord-Lady and baker but I can see why that wouldn't appeal to everyone.

Another ending could be Arya faking her own death and leaving Westeros with Gendry to go be awesome in Essos.

You don't seem to understand how nice of a parallel a Gendry -Arya/Sansa pairing would form.

Looming over all the characters at the start of the novels was the failed Robert - Lyanna pairing. Basically all the hardships can be traced to that. So, if at the end of the series the Others are dealt with and someone new takes the IT, a succesful Gendry -Arya/Sansa pairing would be a nice way to signal this new and promising start for Westeros.

I understand that but I don't think shoehorning a romance in to the story when its not necessary is a good idea.

The fact that you think either Arya or Sansa would be a good match for Gendry (even though they're completely different) suggests that it would be a bit of a pointless storyline.

To be fair a pairing can happen without her becoming a lady. I have always been partial to an ending where Arya-Gendry and the Pie that was Promised re-unite and live as Lord-Lady and baker but I can see why that wouldn't appeal to everyone.

Another ending could be Arya faking her own death and leaving Westeros with Gendry to go be awesome in Essos.

History repeating itself ad nauseum is possibly one of the worst literary tropes in the history of literary tropes. IMO. No Offense.

And I think Arya will be in quite enough danger without having to fake her death. So, we can agree to disagree :)

History repeating itself ad nauseum is possibly one of the worst literary tropes in the history of literary tropes. IMO. No Offense.

It doesn't count as history repeating itself when the outcome is different, now does it.

I understand that but I don't think shoehorning a romance in to the story when its not necessary is a good idea.

The fact that you think either Arya or Sansa would be a good match for Gendry (even though they're completely different) suggests that it would be a bit of a pointless storyline.

Yeah, but that was not what I wrote. I said that the only two possible love interests for Gendry are Arya and Sansa because those are the only two pairings that invoke the literary parallel I was talking about in my previous posts.

I never talked about who would be the best fit for Gendry personality wise or talked about the logistics problem.

And it's hardly shoehorning in Arya's case, since the groundwork has been layed in ACOK and ASOS.

Re-reading aSoS right now and I am at the Arya chapter where Lord Beric is fighting the Hound in the cave. Love the chemistry between Gendry and Arya. I think Gendry was shy around the girls at the Peach because he has a secret crush on Arya. In this book, a reference was made about Arya being pretty, either when she was dressed in the acorn dress or when they dressed her as a girl at the Peach. Boys generally treat girls aloofly or mean sometimes when they really like them. Hope the two meet again when they both have some years on them, could be a good match considering what they have been through and they know so much about each other.

I sincerely hate this pairing. And I do not have much love for those shipping it either.

The whole idea of basing them together simply because they ran away from the capital together is pathetically taking the first thing you see due to fangirls need to ship something. Even more so when they think they have this romantic notion and connection. She was eleven and could care less about Gendry any other ways than she also saw Hot Pie. There is nothing between Arya and Gendry and luckily there will never be anything either.

I want Arya to be awesome and independent. Maybe after some years, I can see her together with some one she wants to be with. And there I would be fine with any one aside of Gendry. May it be Edric Dayne, Trystane Martell or whom ever.

It truly is horrible to see them making a Twilight teen romance over Arya.

I agree completely. It truly is a bad pairing and it goes against Arya's character. To put her with Gendry is to kill whom she is.

• 7 months later...

This is about Gendry. Arya included.

Gendry has all the qualities of a protgonist: kingly blood, good character and a favorite of a female ass-kicking protagonist. Yet this is why I think he might not have any further significance in the story. GRRM will serve him as an example that "nothing means anything".

I imagine him surfacing once more for a few lines in Arya's story as an indicator that Arya has completely forgotten her old self and Gendry included.

Yet their relationship was one of my favorite. Do you think it meant anything for Gendry that she run away and was taken by the Hound? Is this one of the reasons why he seems not so much his former self when we see him again with Brienne? Will they fight again side by side?

Will GRRM expand his story or is it wrapped up already?

I don't believe Gendry will end up wed to Arya. He's likely to be put to death...

"You must be a lackwit, boy," said Lem. "We're outlaws. Lowborn scum, most of us, excepting his lordship. Don't think it'll be like Tom's fool songs neither. You won't be stealing no kisses from a princess, nor riding in no tourneys in stolen armor. You join us, you'll end with your neck in a noose, or your head mounted up above some castle gate."

Arya VII, Storm

I have to go with the framework of a young boy, good kid, that shows a lot of potential and promise. Many good qualities and a talent in an area, and then some. In the vein of stories in which the young boy does not know who one of his parents are (greek mythology), orphan, has no idea who they are, commoner, but their background is bigger and more important than they could have imagined. And they usually have adventures and definitely step it up in life, from where they were, and to where they could never have imagined.

Brienne seems to think he needs to know who he is and it is a big deal to her. Not saying king for him, now way, but something.

And, because of how great he is and their history, yeah, I would prefer Arya for him over anyone else. All or nothing for me on that account.

He seems to be in that vein.

• 1 month later...

I have always thought they were meant to end up together, because I feel like Arya will be the only "Stark" left, and this joining would realize King Robert's proposed merger between house Baratheon and house Stark. This would be especially fitting if Gendry is the oldest male bastard of Bob's and Jon is a Targaryen, because it would leave Shireen to rule storms end as the legitimate branch of Baratheon, as is her birthright, while a legitimized Gendry the "black stag" (like backfyres being the black dragon) is married to Arya ruling Winterfell. I see that being a peaceful resolution.

What a child wants at 9 will most likely be different once they are an adult. Young Arya thinks she will never be pretty enough as Sansa so she doesnt try plus being a tomboy is more fun. She gets negative feedback from her septa and her mother so why bother plus she thinks its 'stupid" being a giggly girl. She does respond to being called pretty and compliments. Hell she even likes to walk by the docks so sailors can call out to her. She is finding power in being a female. To be blunt Arya has a hit list and if she can be successful she has to take a mantle of putting on a lady face to cross off names she will do it. I think she will meet Gendry again but I dont know if romance will come into play. I always thought the romance of it was one sided from Gendrys part. She seemed to cozy up to Edric until he messed up and talked about her father then that blew up in his face.

I agree completely. It truly is a bad pairing and it goes against Arya's character. To put her with Gendry is to kill whom she is.

Yeah, my six year old isn't interested in boys either. But in both cases there's also the fact that neither girl has gone through puberty.

Arya's character is not set in stone. She's going to change, one way or another.

By the way, that's a classic misuse of whom.

While Gendry and Arya would a good match...I think Gendry is destined for something else. Whether it be the fact that he is a blacksmith...or the fact that he has Targaryen blood in him.

Could Gendry be the Third Dragon Rider? (assuming we believe Jon & Daenerys are the first two)

Baratheon decended from Targaryen so there is small traces of Targaryen blood there...and his great-grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

• 9 months later...

There are not that many friendships in ASoIaF. Two others I can think of is Robert/Eddard and Jon/Sam. But Robert and Ned are both dead, Sam and Jon are not really equals in their relationship. Couldn't Nymeria befriend Gendry until Arya omes back and REMEMBERS him, damn it! :idea: Befriend not meaning "eat".

I would love if Arya saw Gendry through her wolf dreams. She's clearly not given up Arya Stark of Winterfell and don't think she ever will. I believe she'll come back to Westeros and reconnect with Nymeria...since the wolf and Gendry are both in the Riverlands it would work out for them to run into each other.

Archived