Mayhaps This Was A Blessing - Who Killed Walder Frey?

Loras

i think that the Manderlys can definitely be ruled out for this one. The fact that they were not really ready to defend themselves from a Frey attack at that moment says a lot. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't really seem to do much strategically for them. Although you gotta love how Wyman cant resist throwing in that line. I love that fat guy.

I was about to make the same point.

Plus if Manderly was guilty he wouldn't talk so much shit to the Freys.

I think he was genuinely offended that they would accuse him of killing a child.

I'm going to throw out another suspect which has been kicking around in the back of my head. On one hand, she doesn't make a lot of sense, but then I still love it for literary reasons.

"Fat" Walda Frey Bolton. It would be "the butler did," before that became a tired cliche. Walda remains a background character whose only feature seems to be her weight and the fact that Roose Bolton married her (for her weight). So, here we have a character no one considers in terms of personality or motivations. She's just, well, "fat." And now pregnant. And if she hasn't any sort of wits about her, realizes her children are on a collision course with Ramsay Snow/Bolton. Or, if she has any ambition, she realizes she needs to get rid of Ramsay so her own children can inherit the Dreadfort.

Where dose Little Walder enter this equation? I'm not sure. There is the Darry connection. "Gatehouse" Amei, Walda, and "Little" Walder are all grandchildren (or is it great grandchildren?) of a Lord of Darry. Considering how the House is now extinguished along the male line, they all have a good claim to the castle. Depending on how well informed or how poorly informed the Freys in Winterfell are, they might know Lancel has already given it up, or that the matter of inheritance has yet to be determined. Regardless, "Little" Walder has the best claim by virtue of being male, and by killing him Walda opens up the possibility of another Lordship should she have multiple sons. The Crown would owe House Bolton much if they finish Stannis. Would Walda actually be so cruel as to murder her own brother? She is a Frey, isn't she?

Or, I think more likely, Fat Walda approached her brother about conspiring to kill Ramsay. Why? So she and her children stay alive. Little Walder refused, which meant he might go tell Ramsay, which meant much more immediate peril. She immediately slit his throat. She is older, and yes, larger.

Ultimately, I can't seriously buy into this theory, as Walda has never shown any propensity towards violence or cunning. I still think it would be a nice twist.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if Big Walder had Dead Walder's blood on himself.

I am basing this on Dead Walder being dead for a while, and thinking that the blood on Big Walder was fresh-ish. I could be wrong. If Big Walder killed someone else, they have yet to be found.

Right now my top guesses are:

1.A Scout from Stannis' army = hooded man. Hooded man was surprised that Theon was there while everyone else knew.

2.Roose Bolton - worried about his image and because Dead Walder annoyed him. Perhaps he made his snow Manderley too fat... might be just that easy with Roose

3.Someone deep in the crypts. Probably not Old Nan but I cannot think of anyone creepier to mention

4. Another shadow creature - the slit throat is exactly like Renley's. The "Father" was probably not Stannis.

Where dose Little Walder enter this equation? I'm not sure. There is the Darry connection. "Gatehouse" Amei, Walda, and "Little" Walder are all grandchildren (or is it great grandchildren?) of a Lord of Darry. Considering how the House is now extinguished along the male line, they all have a good claim to the castle. ....., "Little" Walder has the best claim by virtue of being male, and by killing him Walda opens up the possibility of another Lordship should she have multiple sons. The Crown would owe House Bolton much if they finish Stannis. Would Walda actually be so cruel as to murder her own brother? She is a Frey, isn't she?

Ultimately, I can't seriously buy into this theory, as Walda has never shown any propensity towards violence or cunning. I still think it would be a nice twist.

Yes, but her husband is sunning enough for both of them ... Dead Walder being killed by the Boltons is a definite possibility.

Thank you for researching the Darry connection!

• 3 months later...

Archived