Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:42 PM
I was chanting out-loud with the Iron Born.
"Victarion!!! Victarion!!!! VICTARION KING!!!!!"
Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:46 PM
And the duel between the Red Viper and the Moutain in Storm.
Loved the last Dany one in Dance.
Was amazed by the Princess in the Tower in Feast.
Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:49 PM
1. Sansa's snow castle chapter at the end of SoS. It makes you cry, scares the crap out of you, and creeps you out all at the same time. I will sometimes go back and read this chapter by itself just for fun.
2. The chapter when Jon and Ygritte make love in the lake inside the cave (I know, I am a softy). They both know once they cross the wall their world's will collide and they will probably end up against each other. Knowing this, they are still able to be completely in love in that moment. A great chapter.
3. The fight between the Mountain and The Red Viper in Tyrion's POV. I thought the Viper had him for sure, he even trash talks the whole time! We watchTyrion's hopes go way up as the duel unfolds. Then the evil smile Cersei has when she wins.
4. The chapter in aDwD when Dany flies off from the fighting pit on Drogon's back. That is the first time we see just how powerful and brutal these creatures are. Plus how much trouble Dany is going to have controlling them. This chapter also has some nice gladiator battles, our second boar victim in the series, Dany saving Tyrion from the lions, and Belwas getting poisoned. The best part is by far Dany confronting Drogon who is on a full fledged rampage, getting him under her control, and flying off on his back.
Also love most of the Reek/Theon chapters and Arya's chapters in aCoKs.
Edited by Carey Snow, 22 February 2012 - 09:14 PM.
Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:50 PM
Edited by Carey Snow, 19 February 2012 - 07:51 PM.
Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:19 AM
my favorites are
1. Last meeting between Jaime and Tyrion closest i came to crying while reading this series (and the last time i cried while watching/reading something was when RUssel Crow died in Gladiator
When Jaime turns away, disappears in the darkness and Tyrions thinks that he only wants to tell him that he lied to him. The whole dialogue betwenn them is just perfect.
2. Last Theon chapter in Dance. Great cliffhanger and great devleopment for Theon when he thinks about the Starks and says he should have died with Robb at the Twins.
3. First Jon chapter in Storm. First meeting between Mace and Jon "Did you see where they sat the bastard?"
4. When Tyrion meets Oberyan
5. Ned's chapter in the throne room/when he gets betrayed by Littlefinger. From the start of this chapter you knew something big would be happening.
6. The chapter where Jon thinks about becoming Lord of Winterfell but also feeling ashamed for this because he loved his brothers and sisters. The end with Ghost returning to him was amzazing.
7. Dany finally riding Drogon
I could go on but those are the chapers that stood out the most for me.
Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:37 PM
Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:42 PM
Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:02 PM
Edited by Joffrey Baratheon, 21 February 2012 - 08:03 PM.
Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:04 PM
Edited by dannister, 21 February 2012 - 08:05 PM.
Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:55 PM
Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:34 PM
Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:52 PM
Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:58 PM
Tyrion giving Slynt the what-for.
Catelyn freeing Jaime.
Bran and Co. emerging from the crypt.
Any one of Theon's ADWD chapters, but I like the one when he goes to the crypt with Lady Dustin.
Davos gets sent to Skagos.
Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:32 PM
Theon's first chapter in ACOK where Asha teases him is another stand out (most of Theon's other chapters are too - especially his last one in ADWD).
"King in the North" was a great chapter. It reads so poetically and organically at the end - it was either really quick and easy for GRRM to write or really long and hard.
I also really loved the Bran chapter in A SOS where he hears the story of the tourney at Harenhall.
Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:54 PM
1. AGOT, in Bran's chapter, where he gets pushed out the window by Jaime, because that chapter really, really sucked me in to reading all these books and joining the painful wait for the next 2 instalments. The dreams of a child, the joy of doing something amazing, like his climbing, the treachery of an adult, the need to know what would happen next.
2. ACOK, where Cat has her conversation with Jaime in the dungeon, for the dynamics of that scene, the pain of Cat, the real lowdown on the deaths of Brandon Stark and his father, the revelation of the true madness of the king, the roiling emotion beneath the surface of Jaime, the cynicism, the love of family, the real bravery in the situation. Great writing.
3. ASOS, I loved Sansa's visit with the Tyrell ladies, getting a glimpse of who they were, the grandmother, finding out they really knew what the hell was going on, the bear, the bear! And a second chapter, Arya's last chapter with Sandor, seeing him through her eyes was worth the price of admission.
4. AFOC, the Jaime chapters are all great, seeing him change before your eyes, but I loved the chapter where he meets up with Daven, and Daven's disgust with turncoat Freys and his desire to dam the river and wash them all away, and the chapter where Jaime meets with the Blackfish, oh the insults! has his council of war, oh the insults! and then rescues Edmure, oh the insults!
5. ADWD, Theon's last chapter left me speechless. May the god with seven faces be merciful, or the old gods, or the gods of the drowned men, would somebody please be merciful to that poor s.o.b.
Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:55 PM
- Dany's House of the Undying
- Jon killing Qhorin
- Red Wedding
- Bran and Co. encountering Sam at the Nightfort
- Theon's ADWD chapters
- Jon beheading Slynt
I'll stop now or the list will never end.
Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:11 PM
Kings: The Prologue, hands down my favorite prologue (although the Citadel in Crows gets an honorable mention)
Swords: Catalyn's return to the Twins. Duh.
Crows: I like Doran's big reveal, but the Cat 'O The Canals stuff and the Kingsmoot was pretty great too
Dragons: Meereenese Fighting Pits*
*Totally my favorite chapter in the series.
Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:25 PM
ACOK- Tyrion's battle (ohh so thats what the chains for)
AFFC- 3 queens. ?. i got you a present...
Overall- ill go with the ASOS, "Wherever whores go" "She has been fucking Lancel Osmund Kettleblack and moon boy for all i know!" What a chapter!
Edited by Ndrew of Typhgarian, 22 February 2012 - 05:26 PM.
Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:26 PM
I only recently read ADWD and my favourite chapter from that was definitely the Davos one with Lord Manderly when he reveals about RIckon. I think I punched the air at that point, not only did Davos survive when things looked grim but the Stark comeback began. Also The scene is beautifully played out espeically in contrast to the one earlier where Manderly had made a big show of saying no chance with Wylla brilliantly speaking what is really on all their minds. It also showcases the depth of feeling in the North for the Starks, that actually what had seemed pretty smooth for the Boltons so far was a lot more complex and introduces us to Manderly as a serious player and fun character.
From AFFC I remember the last Arianne chapter blowing me away, purely because Doran shows his hand and after thinking he was this weak, indecisive fool he actually reveal himself as a determined, vengeful and clever player. Obviously with hindsight of what happens to his plan in ADWD this is more questionable but at the time it was such a revelation I did a total cliche OMG!
I think the sign of a great chapter is that I have to re-read it again right after to check it really was that brilliant. In GOT the two chapters that did that for different reasons were Ned getting beheaded and the chapter where they all start chanting The King in the North. The Ned one because I discovered what this was all about and all my preconceptions were blown wide open. The King in the Noth chapter because it was like 'hot damn, shit is on!'.