What about Margaery?

ShaggyShaggydog

I don't think she is that naive, or the Tyrell wouldn't have let her alone in such a perilous position (I mean queen of westeros and surrounded by Lannisters) even with her brother.

Margaery has been trained well (mostly by her grandmother), and I wouldn't be surprised if learn that she has an alliance with the High Septon against Cersei... her scene with Cersei might just be a play to fool Cersei, after all...

• 1 month later...

I don't think the High Septon would lie by saying that Margaery was not a maid anymore or even take any part of such a treason anyway, he's a religious guy, he cannot do such a thing, so it's unlikely that Margaery had a secret alliance with him.

The issue of the maidenhead is quite interesting to me but I think easily explained in one of Cersei's chapters. She lost it to a horse. The young flower is fond of riding horse and Dorne is wonderfully famous for their mounts. I may also add that it this topic has some real history behind it. Joan of Arc was found to have lost her maiden status and it played a role in her ultimate demise. Yet it has been discussedn by pundits that she likely lost it riding into battle. Just a thought.

The issue of the maidenhead is quite interesting to me but I think easily explained in one of Cersei's chapters. She lost it to a horse. The young flower is fond of riding horse and Dorne is wonderfully famous for their mounts. I may also add that it this topic has some real history behind it. Joan of Arc was found to have lost her maiden status and it played a role in her ultimate demise. Yet it has been discussedn by pundits that she likely lost it riding into battle. Just a thought.

It's true, Cersei explicitly states in one of her chapters that it's not uncommon for highborn ladies to lose their maidenhead by riding horses. However, that doesn't explain the excessive amount of moon tea brought to her chambers. Sure, it could be for her cousins and another thread discusses, but why would she be ordering it then, instead of them?

Margaery plays the game just as well as the others! You can tell by the things she says that have those double meanings. Cersei picks up on them throughout AFFC. I think Margaery is a fascinating character. I can't wait to see what becomes of her whenever she shows up again.

And not that this has anything to do with how much of a true player she is, but Natalie Dormer as Margaery? Natalie Dormer was brilliant as the coniving Anne Boleyn... I have a feeling she'll be bringing that same ambition to Margaery come season 2 of the show. :P

Margaery - PLAYER. She has Olenna in the family, I mean....ITS THE QUEEN OF THORNS OKIES, SHE GETS STUFF DONE.

..And not that this has anything to do with how much of a true player she is, but Natalie Dormer as Margaery? Natalie Dormer was brilliant as the coniving Anne Boleyn... I have a feeling she'll be bringing that same ambition to Margaery come season 2 of the show. :P

Totally agree with you there, I think Dormer will give Margaery her own little twist

It's true, Cersei explicitly states in one of her chapters that it's not uncommon for highborn ladies to lose their maidenhead by riding horses. However, that doesn't explain the excessive amount of moon tea brought to her chambers. Sure, it could be for her cousins and another thread discusses, but why would she be ordering it then, instead of them?

Good point. I think I must of forgotten that important detail. I will also agree with previous posts that Margaery is a fascinating character who I picture as a young Cersei. Ambitious and a bit surruptious in the acts of politics. The female characters in these novels are so complex and to be honest wield words like the swords of the knights of Westeros.

I'd love to see a Margaery POV if only to see how paranoid/justified Cersei was in her fears of the Tyrells. From what I've seen so far Margaery does seem very ambitious, but with less of a chip on her shoulder than Cersei. Cersei always seems like she has something to prove since she is a woman, whereas MArgaery seems to use her femininity more to her advantage rather than scorning it.

Don't forget that only Pycell knows about this moon tea business. We have no other confirmation of this fact by any other characters, and Pycell is in perilous position at the moment.

My guess is that he said that just to please Cersei.

Yeah, the whole issue hangs on whether Pycelle was being truthful or not about the moon tea. Margaery losing her maidenhead due to riding is totally plausible as Cersei knows.

I think she would make an excellent queen, the way she was winning the normal people to her side is just what KL needs. She would be a good influence to Tommen too once Cersei is out of the way. I hope she sticks around to sort Tommen and all the other things out. Havent read any further than AFFC yet so just keeping my fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think she has been trained extremely well. But despite that she is a pawn, most definitely. Tyrells know that the Lannisters need the strength of highgarden if they want to rule, so they are just trying to stretch things to see how far Cersei can be stretched without ever taking her to the point of breaking. I think they want to keep Cersei on her toes while they themselves want to be in the commanding position. They're playing it safe according to me, because I feel that the Lannisters will always need the Tyrells to stay in power. How long do the Martells support them, I don't know, and I don't think they will for much longer. I believe that Prince Doran is also too sharp even if not much active, to let his people be disappointed in him for much longer. He is stalling war for as long as he can just to keep his people safe, but he also knows that war is inevitable and he knows that they can not win alone against the might of Highgarden and Casterly Rock together. So I feel he is keeping everyone on his side in check to just wait for the right opportunity, and I believe he will get that soon enough.

I found weirs the moon tea as well

Remember how Tyrion found Pycelle was the most loyal to the Queen. If the thing with the tea is real, it was done on porpose, they had to know Pycelle was loyal to Cersei, plus there are other maesters at the Red Keep, plus Margarey wouldn`t ask herself. They wanted Cersei to know about this.

The other option is that Picelle sayd just becouse Cersei was pushing(wich seems the most probable)

Ah I really wanted to find out what would become of Margaery at the end of the book, but it was kind of a cliffhanger.

I don't really believe Pycelle about the Moon Tea. If margaey's missing her maidenhead it is from Renly or horseback riding, but I don't believe she was sleeping around at King's Landing. I always thought margaery was into girls, but that might've just been because I saw this: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=margaery+sansa#/d4xn8s0

Ah I really wanted to find out what would become of Margaery at the end of the book, but it was kind of a cliffhanger.

I don't really believe Pycelle about the Moon Tea. If margaey's missing her maidenhead it is from Renly or horseback riding, but I don't believe she was sleeping around at King's Landing. I always thought margaery was into girls, but that might've just been because I saw this: http://browse.devian...+sansa#/d4xn8s0

Margaery keeps her cousins around all the time to guard against exactly what Cersei's trying to do. Also, Martin seems to have added some dialogue to Sansa's chapter about girls sharing their bed and how even an innocent like Sansa thinks that's normal, even desirable, to dismiss the kind of "speculation" in your link. :P

Archived