Personal Favorite Quotes - Merged threads

Water Dancing

I think she means that itsTyrion the one who has the strength and hability and cunning to rule and play the Game like Tywin, somethin that Jaime doesnt because he is a soldier who doesn't care about politics.... They are biological sons of tywin both

She is certainly speaking on the similar intelligence of Tyrion and Twyin. While Jaime is an excellent fighter, he never exhibits the intelligence of Twyin.

"And the man breaks.." -Septon Meribald

"No" - High Septon. Shivers down the spine, still

"So many vows, they make you swear and swear..." Jaime Lannister.

" I know about the promise..." Whylla Manderly

"The North remembers, and this mummers farce is almost done." Manderly

All of Stannis in TWOW Theon chapter. Just awesomeness.

All of the TOJ.

• 6 months later...

“I was looking for a house with a red door, but by night all doors are black.” – Daenerys Targaryen

“There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: Not Today.” – Syrio Forel

"My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel." - Sansa Stark

“Every flight begins with a fall.” – Three-eyed crow

“The waves may break upon the mountain, yet still they come, wave upon wave, and in the end only pebbles remain where once the mountain stood. And soon even the pebbles are swept away, to be ground beneath the sea for all eternity.” – Aeron Greyjoy

“Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt he knew his name. – Theon Greyjoy

“It all goes back and back. To our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance on in our steads.” – Tyrion Lannister

“The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I just keep on paddling.” - Varys

“A chain needs all sorts of metals, and a land needs all sorts of people.” – Jon Snow

“Lion, fish, or wolf?”

“We were hoping for capon.” – Jaime and the inkeep

“For a man who was going to spend the rest of his life a prisoner, Edmure was entirely too pleased with himself.” – Jaime

“Stannis pointed his shining sword at his brother. “I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.”

“Are you afraid of the dark, ser?”

“Someone once told me the night was dark and full of terrors.”

-Davos and Melisandre

"Ser Cleos looked like a weasel, fought like a goose, and had the courage of an especially brave ewe."

– Jaime

“Lord Celtigar called it admirable.”

“Had I shown him the contents of my privy, he would have called that admirable as well.”

-Davos and Stannis

"Tarly, when I was a lad half your age, my lady mother told me that if I stood about with my mouth open, a weasel was like to mistake it for his lair and run down my throat. If you have something to say, say it. Otherwise, beware of weasels." - Jeor Mormont

Pyp had stabbed a turnip with his knife. "The night is dark and full of turnips," he announced in a solemn voice. "Let us all pray for venison, my children, with some onions and a bit of tasty gravy."

“I hear the grapes singing on my tongue.”

“I wondered what that noise was. Tell the grapes to keep still, my head’s about to split.” – Tyrion and Varys

“That must’ve been dreadful, my lady. Him dying. There, I mean, whilst-whilst he was-“

“-fucking me? It was disconcerting, certainly. Not to mention discourteous.” – Alayne and Randa

“The milk of the poppy, for when the pain grows too onerous.”

“I sleep too much already.”

“Sleep is the great healer.”

“I had hoped that was you.”

-Grand Maester Pycelle and Ned

“Lord Varys, I am growing strangely fond of you. I may kill you yet, but I think I’d feel sad about it.” – Tyrion

“My brothers have my measure when it comes to fighting and dancing and thinking and reading books, but none of them is half my equal at lying insensible in the mud." – Daeron III Targaryen

Roose Bolton: "Have a prune, Ser Jaime. They are quite sweet, and help move the bowels."

Jaime: "My bowels move fine, and I'm not half as interested in your prunes as I am in your intentions."

“The faithful dog is kicked, and no matter how the spider weaves, he is never loved.” - Varys

“Are you hungry, child?”

“Yes, but not for food.” – Arya and the Kindly Man

“I am sorry for your loss.”

“I had a new hand made of gold.”

“Very nice. Will they make you a gold father too?” – Jaime and Genna Lannister

“Sometimes it is best to study a game before you attempt to play it. How well do you know the game, Arianne?"

"Well enough to play."

"But not to win. My brother loved the fight for its own sake, but I only play such games as I can win." – Doran and Arianne Martell

"If Robb has to go,watch over him," Bran entreated the old gods,as they watched him with the heart tree's red eyes, "and watch over his men,

Hal and Quent and the rest,and Lord Umber and Lady Mormont and the other lords. And Theon too,I suppose. Watch them and keep them safe,

if it pleases you,gods. Help them defeat the Lannisters and save father and bring them home."- Bran Stark

"You tell him this, m'lord. You tell him he's bound on marching the wrong way. It's north he should be taking his swords. North, not south. You hear me?" - Osha to Bran

"When the sun has set,no candle can replace it." -Loras Tyrell

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him? - Stannis

I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood.

Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less.

They say the king loved to hunt. The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that.

For love is the bane of honor, the death of duty.

Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower? No man ever truly knows what he can do unless he dares to leap.

"If ice can burn, then love and hate can mate. Mountain or marsh, it makes not matter. The land is one."-Jojen Reed

"A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees."-Bloodraven

"There is power in a living wood."-Jojen Reed.

Paraphrasing:

"A ranger?", said Jojen.

"A moose?", said Meera.

"Hodor?", said Hodor.

"They say never drink with Dornishmen when the moon is full"

"Only Cat"

"The things I do for love"

"A son for a son, hehe, but that's a grandson and he never was of much use"

"I figure you'll want your child, but don't worry, I'll sent him to you.. with a trebuchet"

Ok, that's enough evil for the day.

Most of mine have been mentioned, but here's a few

This exchange, which solidified Davos as my favorite POV:

"It is every man's duty to remain loyal to his rightful king, even if the lord he serves proves false." - Stannis

"As you remained loyal to King Aerys when your brother raised his banners?" - Davos

"Why is this one in chains?"

"Killed some crossbowmen." - Jamie

"May the Others bugger themselves with your Lord of Light and wipe their arses on the standard you bear." - Cortnay Penrose

My favourite part of the whole series is Davos and Stannis's exchange about Edric Storm in Davos I of ASoS Part 2. I love all of it, as it is moving and incredibly well-written, but this bit is the best. It really sums up Davos and Stannis's characters:

Stannis: I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning ... burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you? If Joffrey should die ... what is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?

Davos: Everything.

Here are 2 quotes I came upon in ADWD. I dont think they have been mentionned yet, even though they are pretty cool.

All the voices died at once. “Lord Janos,” Jon said, “I will give you one last chance. Put down that spoon and get to the stables. I have had your horse saddled and bridled. It is a long, hard road to Greyguard.”

“Then you had best be on your way, boy.” Slynt laughed, dribbling porridge down his chest. “Greyguard’s a good place for the likes of you, I’m thinking. Well away from decent godly folk. The mark of the beast is on you, bastard.”

“You are refusing to obey my order?”

“You can stick your order up your bastard’s arse,” said Slynt, his jowls quivering.

Alliser Thorne smiled a thin smile, his black eyes fixed on Jon. At another table, Godry the Giantslayer began to laugh.

“As you will.” Jon nodded to Iron Emmett. “Please take Lord Janos to the Wall—”

—and confine him to an ice cell, he might have said. A day or ten cramped up inside the ice would leave him shivering and feverish and begging for release, Jon did not doubt. And the moment he is out, he and Thorne will begin to plot again.

and tie him to his horse, he might have said. If Slynt did not wish to go to Greyguard as its commander, he could go as its cook. It will only be a matter of time until he deserts, then. And how many others will he take with him?

“—and hang him,” Jon finished.

(ADWD, Jon I)

(This one could also be in the best chapter-ending sentences thread)

Davos speaking with the Lord of the Three Sisters, wondering if he'll let him go to White-Harbor. The Lord is talking about a moment during Robert's Rebellion when Ned Stark got caught on the Three Sisters.

"My father sent him on his way with his head on his shoulders. 'If you lose,' he told Lord Eddard, 'you were never here.' "

"No more than I was," said Davos Seaworth. (ADWD, Davos I)

• 5 months later...

Archived