Mirri Maz Duur *Spoilers*

The Bastard of Bolton

This is what throws me off.

Initially I hated Mirri because I put all the blame on her, especially after she acted all snarky about it.

But when you think of it this basically boils down to Drogo's headstrong attitude.

If he had followed instructions, kept the dressing on, not drank then his wound would not have festered and Daeny would never had been so desperate as to agree to blood magic, Drogo would have survived, Rhaego would have survived, and ASOIAF would have turned out very differently.

I think Drogo was being stubborn, but I think Mirri Maz Durr was trying to kill him even when she had that first poultice on. I think he knew, or at least, he didn't trust her. I think keeping the dressing on still would have killed him. Mirri just took it as far as she could with the blood magic and everything.

Remember, she felt like she owed Dany nothing. She hated Drogo and the Khalasar from the minute they stormed her village. She hated Dany and felt no thanks for Dany saving her from being raped. I think she even says something like "When you saved me that was already the fourth man in me" or something. She just wanted revenge and I think she was killing Drogo with that poultice. Rhaego might have survived, but Drogo was doomed from that witch.

This brings up a major theme in Dany's story arc about trusting people and wanting to rescue them. Also feeling like after you rescue someone they owe you something. I think it is going to keep coming back again and again and unless she learns to be a LESS benevolent ruler it will be her downfall.

Martin leave it all sort of ambiguous. Mirri clearly allude to the fact that the child was the sacrifice, the life for a life, but then you can also interpret that the baby died because they entered the tent.

For sure Mirri was bitter with Dothraki I just didn't find Martin particularly clear with all of this. I need remind myself that Daeny was only 14-16 and not blame her for insisting on having one of her freed slaves tend to Drogo instead of waiting on the eunuchs to pour hot wine into his wound and cauterize it. It isn't smart to trust some maegi whose people you've just decimated tend to your wounds.

I swear, sometimes the stupidity of some of the characters makes me want to run through plate glass windows.

I never really understood why they had to ask Mirri to tend to the wound right away. Don't the Dothraki have healers of sorts ?

I need to re-read that part.

That said, I thought it was a nice little bit of characterization for Drogo. He may be a pillaging savage by tradition, but deep down he was more open minded than he seemed. He did let one of the Lamb People --who had all the reasons in the world to wish him harm-- tend to his wounds.

Martin leave it all sort of ambiguous. Mirri clearly allude to the fact that the child was the sacrifice, the life for a life, but then you can also interpret that the baby died because they entered the tent.

Sorry I'm a little confused.

Then again this part of the book is confusing. I think all the answers are in the text but its pretty ambiguous. Hard to find them.

The child WAS the sacrifice, but Mirri made it seem like the horse was the sacrifice because she knew Dany would never agree to trading her baby's life for her husband's. In order for the child to BECOME the sacrifice, Dany and her unborn child had to enter the tent.

This is what throws me off.

Initially I hated Mirri because I put all the blame on her, especially after she acted all snarky about it.

But when you think of it this basically boils down to Drogo's headstrong attitude.

If he had followed instructions, kept the dressing on, not drank then his wound would not have festered and Daeny would never had been so desperate as to agree to blood magic, Drogo would have survived, Rhaego would have survived, and ASOIAF would have turned out very differently.

But that´s not what GRRM wanted, was it?

It all comes down as to what the writer wants to tell and not character´s "what ifs". If Drogo had survived that wound, GRRM would have found another way of killing him cause Drogo wasnt in his plans, he was just the push Dany needed to start developing in her story. I learned that the bad way in book 3 :(

• 3 weeks later...
I can tell when I get to this part in the reread I'm going to be doing the same thing I did with Lady's chapter: "Please make it end different this time, don't let this happen this time, no no no no..."

Hah!

This is what I do when Ned plans to meet with Cersei in the Godswood at the Red Keep. "Please don't meet with her this time. Take your children and run!"

But alas, he disappoints me every time. < sigh >

I don't blame Dany really....I mean she wanted to do ANYTHING to save Drogo even if it wasn't thought out well. She was obviously desperate. At the same time it does make you wonder, had Drogo used her stuff to heal would he have been fine or did getting Mirri involved doom him from the start? I tend to think the latter honestly, but can see why there could be questions.

I think the mistake of letting Mirri heal Drogo stems from the fact Dany did not grow up in that culture. She really did not understand their ways and differences, especially the Dothrakis views of the Lamb Men. If she had been a Dothraki herself in the same situation, she would have died before letting Mirri touch Drogo and insisted on the traditional healers. This decision by Dany lacked common sense, Mirri's village had been destroyed, her people killed and enslaved and she was raped multiple times, yet she would do all in her power to heal the man responsible? Once she touched Drogos wound, he was as good as dead.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure if this has been said yet, but her baby could be the "stallion that mounts the world" still - if in some way the life of her baby paid for one of those dragons, and one of those dragons (stallion that mounts the world) goes into battle and essentially attempts to win Dany's war. The crones were in the right church, just the wrong pew. They may have got the mounting the world part correct, but neglected to predict he would be in dragon form not human.

I think that the fact that Dany entered the tent that night contributed to Rhaego's death. However from Mirri's description it does sound like a dragon is what she gave birth to. But then why does she have the dream where she is holding her son just as she's giving birth where is describes the child as copper skinned with violet coloured eyes?

I'm 95% sure that Drogo is responsible for Drogo's death, not Mirri.

Mirri said,

1. Wear this poultice, it will itch, but the itch means its working.
  2. Don't drink alcohol.
  3. Don't drink milk of the poppy.

Drogo,

1. Tore off the poultice.
  2. Drank alcohol.
  3. Drank milk of the poppy.
  4. Replaced the poultice with one made of mud.

Alcohol and opiates are known blood thinners and immune suppressants. Mud is also not known for being sterile. It is essentially wet, rotted vegetation, meaning a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Mormont recognizes Drogo's wound as an infection, not as a work of poison.

With all this in mind, it seems Martin is trying very hard to give evidence that Drogo is responsible for Drogo's death. In contrast, there is no evidence that Mirri poisoned Drogo, only that she could have. Just like Ser Hugh could have poisoned Jon Arryn.

The question of Rhaego's death is murkier. I'm certainly not going to absolve Danaerys of guilt for ordering the ritual knowing the price, but not asking "who?" Mirri forbade anyone to enter the tent, but Jorah did with Danaerys. Does this mean Mirri was going to sacrifice herself to save "Drogo"? She did owe Danaerys her life, a life that was going to be ended by Qotho the moment Drogo died. Still, I really can't blame her for killing Rhaego knowing the prophecy. "Stallion to Mount the World" means Dothraki savages spreading their culture to the world. This is not good.

• 4 weeks later...

@Petyr you summarized my take almost exactly. It seems Mirri tried to help initially, perhaps to help spare her life, but by the time Drogo was truly ill she realized her life was forfeit anyway. Why not try a little blood magic and hurt those who hurt her since she was going to die either way?

Very intriguing part of the story for sure. Many viewpoints plausible.

• 3 months later...

Still reading about this, but i think the ritual was what made possible

the birth of the dragons...the eggs were in the tent during the ritual too, right?

So, crazy theory here:

Nobody actually "died", somehow they reincarnated into the dragons...their lives passed from their bodies to the eggs. Drogo, Rhaego and somehow ¿Viserys?

Archived