The Black Cat - warg of Rhaenys?

Freygatarian

I'm rereading the first book, and I picked up on Varys talking to Ned about Rhaegar's daughter Rhaenys having a black kitten she named Balerion. Varys says "I always wondered what happened to him." We see this black cat and hear stories about him several more times throughout the books:

• First we saw Arya chasing him per Syrio's instructions.
  • Then from Varys we learn of him as Rhaenys' pet before she dies.
  • Cersei says in AFFC "Black cats brought ill luck, as Rhaegar's little girl had discovered in this very castle."
  • The black cat stole food from Lord Tywin at a feast (think someone told this as a story).
  • At the end of ADWD Tommen whines about the black cat scaring him and his cats.
  • Other minor appearances (interactions with Sansa)

After rereading AGOT I've come to the conclusion that Balerion the cat is the warged cat of Rhaenys Targaryen. My reasoning is:

• This cat seems to hate Lannisters. Rhaenys would have pretty good reasons to hate Lannisters.
  • Targaryens are able to ride dragons because they have a warg like bond with them
  • We've seen that skinchangers can warg into an animal upon death
  • GRRM keeps bringing attention back to this cat. The only other animal that gets this much air time are warged wolves; there must be a reason the cat gets so much attention.

Am I missing anything? Has this been discussed ad nauseum? Let me know what you guys think.

Discussed ad nauseum? Yes, but I'm willing to go another round.

I believe that the predominant view is that Balerion the black tom is being warged (or skinchanged) by Bloodraven and that the cat one of Bloodraven's "a thousand eyes and one" in Kings Landing.

I find it unlikely that it is Rhaenys. Firstly, we don't know how the Targs and other ancient Valaryians controlled their dragons, but it seems that it was some combination of using dragon horns and blood magic. We don't know that Targs can warg and we have seen little evidence that they can. The only Targ who can warg is Bloodraven, but that skills seems to have come from his mother's side of the family.

I like to think that it is Arya spying through Balerion's eyes at the end of ADWD. We have seen that she can warg cats and we know that she has a history with Balerion. I'd like it if she was spying on little Tommen and planning the downfall of the Lannisters.

I'm so glad you asked this Freygatarian! I was just wondering about this cat myself. As you say, Mr. Martin makes a point to bring this cat back again and again. There must be some reason, right? Is this Chekov's cat?

But if it is Rhaenys, so what? I mean, what does it mean for the living characters?

To me the cat seems anti-Lannister, and the fact that he belonged to Rhaenys has me convinced!

Maybe it's never explicitly said that Targs can full blown warg, but all of the Starks seem to have at least some connection with and control their wolves even if they can't outright jump in their bodies. Sort of like a precursor to warging. Dany has no blood magic or dragon horns, and she figured out a way to ride her dragon.

I'm curious if Arya will get to use her powers for her own desires. Seems like the Faceless Men are supposed to forget their past lives.

But if it is Rhaenys, so what? I mean, what does it mean for the living characters?

Good question...maybe all the opinions on this thread are correct and intertwined. Could the Faceless Men be in league with Bloodraven and the CoTF? They're making moves, but to what end? And Rhaenys the cat could be an agent of her great great great great uncle Bloodraven too.

I'd go with Bloodraven.Makes plot sense to have eyes in KL.

I am curious, what is the plot sense? What could be Bloodravens goal in monitoring what happens in Kings Landing? What does he want to achieve?

I am curious, what is the plot sense? What could be Bloodravens goal in monitoring what happens in Kings Landing? What does he want to achieve?

probably to know the "going ons" in kings landing. i wonder how he would be able to warg into Balerion the cat though. doubt he would even know the cat existed.

I'm rereading the first book, and I picked up on Varys talking to Ned about Rhaegar's daughter Rhaenys having a black kitten she named Balerion. Varys says "I always wondered what happened to him." We see this black cat and hear stories about him several more times throughout the books:

• First we saw Arya chasing him per Syrio's instructions.
  • Then from Varys we learn of him as Rhaenys' pet before she dies.
  • Cersei says in AFFC "Black cats brought ill luck, as Rhaegar's little girl had discovered in this very castle."
  • The black cat stole food from Lord Tywin at a feast (think someone told this as a story).
  • At the end of ADWD Tommen whines about the black cat scaring him and his cats.
  • Other minor appearances (interactions with Sansa)

After rereading AGOT I've come to the conclusion that Balerion the cat is the warged cat of Rhaenys Targaryen. My reasoning is:

• This cat seems to hate Lannisters. Rhaenys would have pretty good reasons to hate Lannisters.
  • Targaryens are able to ride dragons because they have a warg like bond with them
  • We've seen that skinchangers can warg into an animal upon death
  • GRRM keeps bringing attention back to this cat. The only other animal that gets this much air time are warged wolves; there must be a reason the cat gets so much attention.

Am I missing anything? Has this been discussed ad nauseum? Let me know what you guys think.

I think this is bull because the Targaryens have no Warg connection of history. The only family that we know have something to do with Warging are the Starks, and Bloodraven is an exception and not the norm for the Targaryens in this regard. Its just a freaking cat and nothing more.

where do we start:

usurpation, unneccesary murder of children not to mention a CIVIL WAR when it's least needed

Many reasons why the reader would hate the Lannisters. But i dont think Bloodraven would care about that. im sure he doesnt care too much about the targeryens, who imprisoned him and sent him to the Wall. the Starks rebelled against the Targs too but he seems to get along with Bran.

i think it makes more sense that Rhaenys is in Balerion than bloodraven.

Archived