I'm rereading the first book, and I picked up on Varys talking to Ned about Rhaegar's daughter Rhaenys having a black kitten she named Balerion. Varys says "I always wondered what happened to him." We see this black cat and hear stories about him several more times throughout the books:
- First we saw Arya chasing him per Syrio's instructions.
- Then from Varys we learn of him as Rhaenys' pet before she dies.
- Cersei says in AFFC "Black cats brought ill luck, as Rhaegar's little girl had discovered in this very castle."
- The black cat stole food from Lord Tywin at a feast (think someone told this as a story).
- At the end of ADWD Tommen whines about the black cat scaring him and his cats.
- Other minor appearances (interactions with Sansa)
After rereading AGOT I've come to the conclusion that Balerion the cat is the warged cat of Rhaenys Targaryen. My reasoning is:
- This cat seems to hate Lannisters. Rhaenys would have pretty good reasons to hate Lannisters.
- Targaryens are able to ride dragons because they have a warg like bond with them
- We've seen that skinchangers can warg into an animal upon death
- GRRM keeps bringing attention back to this cat. The only other animal that gets this much air time are warged wolves; there must be a reason the cat gets so much attention.
Am I missing anything? Has this been discussed ad nauseum? Let me know what you guys think.
Edited by Freygatarian, 22 February 2012 - 11:47 PM.