Is Tommen going to die?

TheColdWinds

It depends on how literal the prophesy is?

"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

Maybe the shrouds will be prepared but not used? Or someone(Jaime or Tyrion) will trick Cersei into thinking they are dead and prepare golden shrouds for them? I'm just trying to hope that Tommen doesn't die. He's a nice boy.

Yes, he's going to die. Just look at him. He's no one's king. He's a sweet, timid little boy, who was never raised to be a king. He's going to be every bit as terrible a king as Joffrey, just in a different way.

However, I think Myrcella is going to die first. She's way too valuable to the Dornish, and therefore also to the enemies of the Dornish. That will leave Tommen as the frightened little boy with no help to try to put a realm in order, and that will be exquisitely painful to read.

Prophecy or not for a new king to take over typically the current one dies. Keeping the old king alive creates too much of a risk for future rebellion. I think Tommen will die, most likely brutally, in front of Cersei. She will then proceed to lose her last marble.

It seems that Tommen is likely doomed by the prophecy but damn, he is such a nice, innocent kid who tries his best. The Tyrells could adopt him and his cat after he eventually loses the throne, he gets along with Margaery and Loras so well already. Even if Tommen is a bastard, he is still a Lannister by blood, squared.

GRRM, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE CONSIDER MY AND SER POUNCE'S FEELINGS :)

alot of responses are certain of his eventual demise but i'm pretty confident Tommen will live through the series....kinda like egg....unlikely king,most characters even those who became later his enemies and got to interact with him speak well of him.....cersei had 4 kids thus maggy's prophesy has been dealt a big blow 1 kid has a strong chance of survival...Tommen has a knack of overcoming bad omen's presented in his path ,paranoid mum_her rule(cersei), a bully of a brother(joffrey)+his rule,scheming and power hungry uncle(tyrion),a weak cowardly member of a kingsguard(boros blount),queen of thorns and LF scheming to eliminate a king from his family,wrath of the KL mob,ned starks plan for life in exile,stannis attack of KL and when good omens fall in his laps he prospers... his mother fall from power,,joffreys death,a queen wife who likes the young lad,good pals with loras(KG),trips with his father(robert) across the kingdom he impressed so many,hoster tully,bran stark,sansa,robb,jon,the wider lannister clan members,riverlords bent the knee to tommen,he's got backing of the faith......all in all he's the 1 kid with the best chance to survive

I think that Tommen will be killed by the partner of the female cat that Joffrey killed. The cat has probably been plotting his revenge on the Lannisters for years and now that Joffrey is dead, Tommen will face his wrath.

Balerion, anyone?

It depends on how literal the prophesy is?

"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

Maybe the shrouds will be prepared but not used? Or someone(Jaime or Tyrion) will trick Cersei into thinking they are dead and prepare golden shrouds for them? I'm just trying to hope that Tommen doesn't die. He's a nice boy.

But that's the thing. Cersei's so obsessed with that prophecy, preventing that from happening, though believing it will happen, that what somebody else said is true, Tommen (and maybe Myrcella as well) will probably die at her hands.

A pity, really, but the boy is a Lannister, he's doomed.

Usually the prophecies are literal in ASoIaF... Who would've though Dany's prophecy in the House of the Undying of the man with the wolf on his head would come true the way it did? So I'm guessing he is going to die before Cersei.

He would die anyway, with so many claimants to the throne with larger strength. The only way to save him from that is if Jaime claimed him. Given how his character has been going - taking his role as LC of the KG seriously, backing away from Lannister problems, not to mention trying to finally be a father to Tommen during Tywin's funeral - I wouldn't put it past Jaime to do just that.

Dude, do you realize just how much potential fatness was contained in old King Bob's gene's? (He's 6 foot 5 or 6 foot 6, and, at one point, Ned describes him as "as wide as he is tall.") Not to mention the delightful predisposition to alchoholism nymphomania, uncontrollable rage, mediocre intelligence, overall weakness of character, and tendency towards post highschool pathetic burn out that Robert was carrying in his mighty seed.

?????? Not a male characteristic. Neither Robert nor Tommen could have this. Possibly satyriasis is the term you are looking for. Plus I don't think nymphomania is inherited, more that it's from a certain type of disfunctional family structure. The rest of the characterisistics are pretty close.

Being married to The Oaf That Rides is her trade-off for getting close to the seat of power. Otherwise she'd have been stuck with a match suitable to her station, on the level of Edmure Tully.

cersei had 4 kids thus maggy's prophesy has been dealt a big blow

She had three living children though? I don't think that her very short-lived pregnancy with Robert's child counts here.

She had three living children though? I don't think that her very short-lived pregnancy with Robert's child counts here.

*crosses fingers* A girl can hope can't she?

The thought of Tommen and Mycella dying breaks my cold,shrunken heart.

Yes, he's going to die. Just look at him. He's no one's king. He's a sweet, timid little boy, who was never raised to be a king. He's going to be every bit as terrible a king as Joffrey, just in a different way.

However, I think Myrcella is going to die first. She's way too valuable to the Dornish, and therefore also to the enemies of the Dornish. That will leave Tommen as the frightened little boy with no help to try to put a realm in order, and that will be exquisitely painful to read.

Assuming the prophecy is spot on, he must die first or she doesn't have a crown...

It wasn't a short lived pregnancy. Cersei's dark haired boy, fathered by Robert, was born and had a short life. Didn't she tell Catelyn that he clung to life for a time?

It wasn't a short lived pregnancy. Cersei's dark haired boy, fathered by Robert, was born and had a short life. Didn't she tell Catelyn that he clung to life for a time?

This is show!canon, not book!canon. In the books, Jaime helped her to cleanse herself quite early on. Iirc, of course, but I am 99.99% sure of this.

Well, if the prophesy is super literal, all it means is that both Tommen and Myrcella will have crowns and will have golden shrouds when they die right? I acknowledge that the great irony here would be if Cersei was driven insane by jumping to conclusions about this and kills them herself. But it's not a foregone conclusion if someone removes Cersei from the kids or vice versa. Without Cersei being anxious and insane, I don't think the prophesy necessarily means anything about their premature deaths.

Archived