The Wise Man's Fear VII (Spoilers and speculation)

jumbles

I think Nisheeth's got the right idea, two_by_two. The Adem's names for the seven are their old names, but not the same as Felurian's name or Lanre's. Like you wrote: calling names. I think maybe what's bothering you is that they know when these names are spoken and can track the speaker. If not,it's at least bothering me a little. Lots of folks have surmised this means that it causes them pain, that's unnecessary. It'd be annoying as hell after 5000 years to keep hearing whispers from thousands of miles away. I wonder if that's the purpose of the silence in the Waystone. Does it shut Kvothe off from hearing his name spoken over and over across the Four corners?

ETA: I think Kvothe has an broken circle branded on him; an ugly red scar.

Well... That is a thought indeed. Which begs the question: what did he do that was so terrible to make him be cast out of the Ruh? Surely the Kingkilling wouldn't be sufficient, as the Ruh don't really care for kings anyways. And possibly killing a Chandrian definitely wouldn't do it, nor would killing those fake Ruh.

Does that imply that Kvothe has somehow become a part of the Chandiran?

I think it would just mean that he became powerful enough - or interested at one point in knowing what people were saying about him. We believe that Tehlu & Co. can here their names spoken, at least.

Isn't the ugly red scar on Kvothe from the recent battle with the scrael? He has lots of old scars, but the new ones are from his most recent injuries - at least that's what I gathered.

Actually the quote was from before his fight with the scrael.

In NotWc57, when Kvothe met Denna in the Eolian for the first time, he tells Bast, "Of course I talked to her. There would be no story if I hadn't."

Based on the first two books, I wouldn't agree with that. She's obviously important to Kvothe, but she hasn't been necessary to the story yet.

I guess that means in the third book she'll play (or it will be revealed that she has been playing) a much bigger role in Kvothe's search for the Chandrian (since in NotWc7 he says, "This is, in many ways, a story about the Chandrian"). So the big possibilities I see here are that she either: ( A ) provides crucial aid in finding the Chandrian, ( B ) prevents Kvothe from finding the Chandrian, or ( C ) is a Chandrian.

Edited because the site changed something into a smiley and something else into the copyright symbol.

If Kvothe could hear his name being spoken across the 4C, wouldn't there be some reference to it in his narration? I'm guessing people would have been talking about him quite a bit up to the end of the story in WMF so if he could somehow know when people are talking to him, I would have thought he would have at least implied it by now? I thought instead that the name hurting/being heard by the Chandrian was part of Selitos' curse ("your own name will be turned against you so that you should have no peace")?

I have another one for Manet fans.... :) Bredon's walking stick with the silver wolf's head is mentioned a couple of times, and when Kvothe is playing Tak against him he "felt like a puppy fighting a wolf". In NotW, Manet grins like a wolf when he describes his tuition fee and then later Kvothe describes "his wild hair making him look like a great white wolf". In real life old beggars are almost always old beggars... but sometimes they're Manet :P

I have another one for Manet fans.... :) Bredon's walking stick with the silver wolf's head is mentioned a couple of times, and when Kvothe is playing Tak against him he "felt like a puppy fighting a wolf". In NotW, Manet grins like a wolf when he describes his tuition fee and then later Kvothe describes "his wild hair making him look like a great white wolf". In real life old beggars are almost always old beggars... but sometimes they're Manet :P

What's more, Ben is described in NOTW Ch 11 (The Binding of Iron) as having a wolfish and savage grin - shortly after Kvothe himself describes his own grin as wolfish. And Hemme gives Kvothe "the look a wolf gives a treed cat" in Ch 39 (Enough Rope). That being said, Denna describes Kvothe as "a wolf with all its hackles up.... Or a fox, I suppose. You're too red for a wolf" in Chapter 73 (Pegs). And that's just in NOTW (I don't yet have a readily searchable copy of WMF). So clearly Kvothe, Ben, and Hemme are all Manet.

About the dialog between Kvothe and Chronicler regarding Pomace (don't know if someone came up with that idea before)

What if Kvothe fakes this whole "I don't know what it is called"-thing to fool Chronicler?

It seemed to me as if Kvothe actually knew about Pomace and tried to learn something about the Chronicler. Maybe to find out whether the Chronicler is truly who he claims to be? Like, why does the Chronicler know what pomace is if it's something that only people "in that business" know about? Chronicler isn't from Nevarre either, so why does he know what it is called? Imho, this looks completely like something that Kvothe would do.

edit.gif

star.gif

BAST

USAGE: Egyptian Mythology

PRONOUNCED: BAHST (English) [key]

Meaning & History

Possibly means "fire, heat" in Egyptian. In Egyptian mythology Bast was a goddess of fertility, pregnancy and the sun who was considered a protector of Lower Egypt. She was often depicted with the head of a lioness or a house cat.

Thoughts?

Original post from thread three, last March:

[The tinker in Hespe's story and the beggar in Kvothe's are the same, as is Skarpi.

The tinker loses his hat and it's up to him to mend the broken house.

The beggar has no hat for his head and no pack for his back.

The beggar says, "I am called Sceop." (storyteller)

Sceop stays with the Ruh for many years and tells them many stories.

Sceop and Skarpi look and taste similar.

Skarpi has a bet that he knows any story asked for.

He's also Bredon

Skarpi has thick white hair on his head and face.

Skarpi means sharp/cutting.

Bredon means sword.

Bredon has thick white hair on his head and face.

this next bit gets a little crazy

All of the above are Aleph

Bredon's game, Tak, is named after a recursive benchmarking function.

(recursion is the process of repeating items in a self-similar way)

Jax tells the Tinker it's up to him to mend the broken house.

Aleph is the only uberNamer left alive and free at the close of the Creation War.

Will Kvothe reveal this? Does Chronicler know?

And

this from thread five.

Skafra joked that they were all also Manet, as folk are wont to do.

It turns out
they are!

Manet is the only character other than Bredon associated with the word wolf.

you're in the right place, I guess

Stag:

NW 523 Men crowd round her like stags in rut. (Deoch on Denna)

WMF 634 I felt like a stag in rut. (with Felurian)

Harp:

Pretty much always associated with Denna, who is at the time of writing housing with a skilled gentleman for the furthurinse of her studies thereof

Barrel:

Too numerous. But you keep beer in barrels.

I don't remember any other heraldry at all.

One of the ones I have now that I can't make heads or tails of is the letter that Denna sends Kvothe from Yll. Not the letter itself - that kinda makes sense - but Kvothe specifically describes the seal (a stag, a harp and a barrel) before he breaks it. Seems a bit odd to mention something that specific unless it has a relevance to the story but I can't for the life of me find a link...

Something I just searched out: a type of well known deer is a fallow deer (male's are called bucks or stags). I've read online they're known to be different colours, including a common grey colour. Grey fallow?

Since Denna is spending time in the Small Kingdoms, does she use the seal of someone in the Small Kingdoms? Could this be Baron Greyfallow. Being a patron of music, could having a harp on his seal be possible?

Kvothe mentions that he doesn't remember actually being in Vintas (maybe 3 crossings once) and says he hasn't been to Ceald. And the mayor in the Commonwealth doesn't seem to recognize the name Baron Greyfallow. I wonder if Baron Greyfallow is from the Small Kingdoms, from an area that may be out of reach of the Lackless family's influence on stopping Vintish nobility from becoming a patron to Arliden's troupe.

I think Bredon beer (barrel related) is mentioned in the same vein as the Small Kingdoms.

I wonder if Kvothe would ever have seen or recognise Baron Greyfallow's seal.

Could Baron Greyfallow, Master Ash and the owner of the seal (stag, harp and barrel) be the same person? This would explain Denna visiting the Small Kimgdoms and spending decent time there, and why PR hasn't introduced us to Baron Greyfallow's character in person.

This is all conjecture and poorly worded: maybe someone else can pick this up and run with it...

Oh, I should have noted that the Maedre anagram (Ademre) was all JezDynamite.

Jez, Greyfallow's Men are almost certainly charged to play in the Commonwealth. It makes me kind of sad to point that out 'cause your theory's pretty slick.

Thanks. It seems funny to me how something a bit cute like "Maedre remade Ademre" has got others excited. I always thought it was just a bit of fun anagram-ism.

I thought Greyfallow could be from the Commonwealth. But Kvothe narrates (when nodding to one of Threpe's comments) that his troupe went all over the 4Cs, under the protection of Lord Greyfallow's name. So it seems Lord Greyfallow's name holds sway in more than the Commonwealth. (WMF Kindle Ch 50 "Chasing the Wind", location 6984). I took from the text around Arliden's discussion with the mayor that (NW Ch. 8 "Thieves, Heretics and Whores"):

(1) Abenthy says to the mayor that no arcanist had been seen in these parts for 50 years or so, which makes the location of the town is more likely to be a long way from Imre/The University (maybe not even in the Commonwealth).

(2) no where is the Commonwealth specifically mentioned as the location of the mayor's town or that Greyfallow's titles are in the commonwealth. The only mention I could find in the text of the Commonwealth in the chapter relating to the protective mayor is of Kvothe learning Commonwealth law from a traveling barrister but it was in the same context as learning about Modegan royalty, and woodcraft from Laclith. It didn't seem to me that it meant they were in the commonwealth.

(3) Arliden mentions that "this is what happens when you get too close to Atur", but that could easily be from the Small Kingdoms border with Atur. And the pastures/pickings and women will be better when they head down south, which could easily be in the south of the Small Kingdoms.

Am I missing something else like the currency used? Or some other clue that Greyfallow is from the Commonwealth?

Red Wedding - Interesting... so if Chronicler isn't Chronicler, then who is he and why is he tricking Kvothe? :)

thistle - Thanks... I missed the reference to Bredon meaning sword, but Aculeus is a prickle or spine, which ties in better with it. I really like Aculeus as Bredon - I'm not convinced that the Maer knew to start with but I like the idea that Bredon knew all along.

Jez - Nice idea, Greyfallow is a bit of a mystery because he seems so important at the start of the story and then he's just kind of forgotten about... A small bit of circumstantial evidence against him being from the SK... Kvothe explains the role of a patron (can't remember the book/chapter but comes down to he gives you musicians then takes your tax money). We know the troupe played for Greyfallow in Hallowfell, and we know that's on the western edge of the Commonwealth so that would suggest Greyfallow has some sort of influence there?

"Undo that, or I will break it

Another quote from NOTW. This is referring to the Chronicler binding Bast with Iron from the disk he wore.

What is odd is, Kvothe doesn't perform magic anymore, and doesn't even seem to be able to perform it (else he would have saved Shep)

Then how could he even be able to break that binding? Breaking the Disk shouldn't work by the second law of sympathy.

Maybe, sort of support towards the Kvothe is acting to be Kote theory?

We know the troupe played for Greyfallow in Hallowfell

bradd - I just tried to find where it says the troupe played for Greyfallow in Hallowfell but I couldn't find it. I know they played to celebrate Kvothe's 12th bday and Abenthy's departure there. And they play all over the 4Cs.

Do you think that they only play in areas where Greyfallow has significant influence or is well known, or only where he collects taxes?

The mayor didn't seem to recognize Greyfallow's name but they still played there. I was under the impression from what Kvothe says that the Baron's name protected them in places all over the 4Cs, not just in the Commonwealth.

Archived