Lord Randyll Tarly's Secret?

Drowsey Dragon

After I finished Feast and the interactions with Lord Randyll Tarly, it struck me how unusual it is for a father and son to be this different. Especially after reading the last Sam chapter and this exchange:

"I am Sam, from Horn Hill. Lord Randyll Tarly’s son."

"Truly?" Leo gave him another look. "I suppose you are. Your father told us all that you were dead. Or was it only that he wished you were?" He grinned. "Are you still a craven?"

Is it possible Sam is a bastard without his fathers knowledge? Usually the apple does not fall far from the tree, but in this case it is extreme. If Sam is a bastard in the end, it could be a link with Jon in some way.

Even LordTywin accepted Tyrion as his son and part of his house and Tywin was just as despicable a father as Lord Randyll. Perhaps Lord Randyll knows Sam is not of his blood, so it is so easy for him to disown him? There is a lot of similarity between Lord Randyll and Lord Tywin, but not in relation to Tyrion and Samwell. Any thoughts on this?

All of you are probably right, but why does he treat Samwell so different than Tywin treats Tyrion? They are both horrible fathers and quite similiar in nature, but Samwell is still his son. He is a fat craven, but by Westeros standards, Tyrion is a far worse grotesque. I hope we learn more about Samwells younger brother. I just have a feeling there is more to the Samwell - Lord Randyll Tarly relationship than has been revealed.

It also reveals just how powerless women are in this universe. Samwells mother can do nothing to protect him at all or prevent her husband from disowning him and sending him to the wall to die. For all she knows, she will never see him again. Quite harsh.

All of you are probably right, but why does he treat Samwell so different than Tywin treats Tyrion? They are both horrible fathers and quite similiar in nature, but Samwell is still his son.

Because Tyrion wasn't Tywin's heir, wasn't a coward, wasn't completely worthless, etc.

I hope we learn more about Samwells younger brother. I just have a feeling there is more to the Samwell - Lord Randyll Tarly relationship than has been revealed.

I think so too (Sam can always dig up more, I'm sure). I'm really looking forward to hearing more and seeing how their future relationship plays out.

• 1 month later...

All of you are probably right, but why does he treat Samwell so different than Tywin treats Tyrion? They are both horrible fathers and quite similiar in nature, but Samwell is still his son. He is a fat craven, but by Westeros standards, Tyrion is a far worse grotesque. I hope we learn more about Samwells younger brother. I just have a feeling there is more to the Samwell - Lord Randyll Tarly relationship than has been revealed

Guess I'll simply elaborate on what ManyFacedOne said - Tyrion is not a big, fat pussy afraid of everything and everybody, a guy that's panicly afraid of others and panics when forced to learn to swim. A guy that screams for mercy when being hit by a girl. Lastly - He's not the heir of Castley Rock and i can't fight the feeling that the family bonds between Lannisters are really strong. Even though Tywin would like to get rid of his youngest son he can't do so - he can't prove Tyrion is not of his blood so he simply accepts it as it is.

• 2 months later...

I doubt it, even if your father is a famous tough Commander and Warrior, can still have a craven fat pussy of a son, remember he only sisters for his early childhood and he didn't like fighting and combat, which comes to many Humans no matter what father or Mother you have. Also Sam would of had great pressure to become this great warrior like his father, and his father just scared him into submission, and he would hide and flee to his sisters and mother to avoid being a disappointment to his father, which happens all the time.

Archived