Football #25

Renasko

Was watching an interview with van Persie last night, quite interesting. Says he still very much loves Arsenal the club, feels a Gunner, and basically he implied that he wants to stay. He said he will have a good sitdown with Wenger and the chairman when this season ends, and discuss what needs to be done. The implication being that Arsenal needs to make some good signings, and if they don't, there is a chance that he will go. But the objective is to stay, and get reinforcements. He's been at the club for 8 years and would like to continue, if prospects improve.

sky sports news are saying scott parker will be england captain. nice reward for a decent human being. it was basically between him and gerrard as far as i'm concerned and gerrard is far too prone to injury. hart and milner were also mentioned but goalkeeper/captain is pointless and milner isn't guaranteed to start.

Oh nice. Robben is back.

Terrible first half between England and Holland. On the whole, more evidence of England's complete lack of creativity in midfield. I can see no reason why the manager would play Barry, offers little going forward and is vulnerable defensively. I certainly wouldn't play him *and* Parker, that means you have two very similar players there that lack creativity. Parker is a useful player but in a good England side he would be a lesser player overshadowed by skillful players. Second half brought Milner for Barry; he's more physical and faster, but he also offers very little in terms of playmaking. Gerrard off with an injury again, that's the exact same story as vd Vaart pulling out for Holland with his 11th or so injury this season.

And then upfront you're looking at Welbeck, Sturridge, Adam Johnson and Young. Not bad, attractive players on paper and often in reality as well. Just that the big missing factor for England continues to be a high scoring striker. There simply isn't one. Sturridge, Welbeck, Bent, Defoe, these are not the next Gary Linekers or Alan Shearers. There is not one striker as good as Huntelaar, or Robin van Persie for instance. The only department where England is genuinely well stocked is in wingers.

England really has to hope Wilshere comes back and in style, he could at least offer some creativity in midfield, but he's a huge question mark.

As for Holland, not a great game, conceeded two goals when the game seemed all but finished, that is not the first time recently. Sneijder still looks out of sorts. Great that Robben is back, and Huntelaar gets 10 minutes of time and immediately puts one in the back of the net, as ever.

I hope both Smalling and Huntelaar come out alright after that terrible incident.

Some other results: Italy beaten at home by the US. Germany beaten at home by France. Denmark beaten at home by Russia, who were very effective and led by a strong Arshavin. Spain thrashes Venezuela 5-0 and has Soldado scoring a hattrick, they may have found a solution to their striker "problem".

Some other results: Italy beaten at home by the US. Germany beaten at home by France. Denmark beaten at home by Russia, who were very effective and led by a strong Arshavin. Spain thrashes Venezuela 5-0 and has Soldado scoring a hattrick, they may have found a solution to their striker "problem".

It doesn't look good for Torres this summer.

I managed to miss your earlier post, but having read the link, I’d still be inclined to side with the club. I don’t think it’s fair to kill a club in order to pursue an owner, however much of a pillock the owner may be.

The decision to make an inexperienced 17-year-old captain; the sacking of the manager; and the (claimed to be misquoted) anti-football comments? Idiotic, absolutely, but when did Associations start dictating the selection/employment policy and media output of clubs to this degree?

I think at this stage, the FFA feel they have to take action against the owner and if this is the only tool available to them, then I can understand why they've used it. Certainly, they feel that the club (in the person of the owner) has breached the conditions of its license, and I can see why they believe that. And if someone breaches the conditions of a license, it's hard to say that taking it away is unfair. That's why licenses have conditions. It would be unfair to the other clubs to ignore these breaches.

It's worth bearing in mind that the A-League is not the same as the longer-established European leagues: the franchises are not quite the same as the venerable club names you'd find there (or indeed in the South American leagues). But even so, I do sympathise with the fans and feel for the players, because none of this is their fault. I think we'd agree on that. And there is fault on both sides: we can probably agree on that too. But I just can't see how it's fair to lay the blame for this whole fiasco at the door of the FFA. They're clearly dealing with someone who refuses to act with any degree of responsibility or maturity here. (Of course, such a person should never have been given a franchise in the first place...)

Typical: crowds are up, the football's improving but people only talk A-League when megalomaniacal billionaires seek its destruction... :rolleyes:

The latest news is that Palmer has announced he is forming his own football body, having already designed an inspiring logo.

There are issues about FFA's administration of the game - clubs are losing money, owners have rightly complained about opacity of FFA decision making and Ben Buckley's tenure as director has been marked with expensive and embarrassing failures but Clive Palmer has no genuine interest in resolving any of that.

His club was run into the ground through appalling mismanagement and when it became clear his ludicrous demands for financial assistance weren't going to be met he engineered this confrontation and is now throwing his toys out of the pram.

Just out of interest, are there any Australian billionaires who aren’t entirely evil?

Palmer's nemesis, FFA Chairman Frank Lowy owns the Westfield Group.

That's about it.

Facepalm of the day from Pepe Reina: the relevant bit starts at 1:00.

I'm sure he meant no harm, but given recent events, for a Liverpool player to do an ad where he's in Africa and is therefore surrounded by guys in grass skirts bowing to their tribal chief... yeah, let's say that's not a particularly good idea. (The little homophobic bit at the end is icing on the cake.)

The ad looks silly and harmless, I think. No idea why he is appearing on TV commcercials when he gets paid a bomb weekly, though.

Anyway, today is Martin O'Neill's 60th birthday. His Sunderland boys play Newcastle in the big derby game of the week. Hope they smash the Toon! James McClean got a rousing reception last night when he made his Irish debut...the boy will be out to impress further, I'm sure. :)

Anyway, today is Martin O'Neill's 60th birthday. His Sunderland boys play Newcastle in the big derby game of the week. Hope they smash the Toon! James McClean got a rousing reception last night when he made his Irish debut...the boy will be out to impress further, I'm sure. :)

oh, you just shut your mouth!

nufc will rip apart sunderland. you are only siding with the team with the most irish.

oh no, sky sports news are reporting 'major news' from newcastle this hour. i bet its another ridiculous name for our beautiful stadium. bastards.

2 players sign long term contracts, that is not 'major news' but at least we are not now the lidl/aldi arena, sports direct arena has much more class.

Arsenal playing this game at a pedestrian pace. No movement, and no-one trying to break forward. To many just hanging back, expecting some magic from RvP or a burst of speed from Walcott. They will lose unless they pull themselves together.

Didn't feel too badly about Celtic dropping points today.

Definitely don't, now. Word is Rangers will be receiving an extra 50-60 points deduction due to fielding inelligible players.

Boy, do I love that rule.

Archived