Really?

Aroban

Spoilers, so please don't read on if you haven't gotten past half the book yet or to the Edmure Roslin wedding, to be specific.

Robb, Catelyn, and Arya all died within three chapters? This just pissed me off more than I could've imagined.

I wouldn't say things improve. The story does continue though....

Are you serious? In my opinion the story even gets better and complexer after this, as many people say: the plot thickens.

Which clues are you refering to?

Well for one, Ramsay Bolton's little stunt at the end of ACoK. Yeah, you could argue that Roose probably had very little to do with that, but throughout the books I was always suspicious of Bolton. Always wondering whether someone would take advantage of the fragile state Robb left the north in.

Maybe I was exaggerating with the "so many clues" comment :P

Which clues are you refering to?

At the end of ACOK, Roose seems calm and even amused even though a lot of Robb's other bannermen are panicking about the Blackwater and Winterfell. Why would that be? He also sends Tallhart and Glover on a useless raid on Duskendale, where they are smashed by the enemy. But when Robb asks him about it in ASOS, he says that they went on their own and that it was a "folly". This suggests he sent them there in order for them to be captured or killed, perhaps even warning the Lannisters in advance, so he could remove them as future rivals. And of course there is his convo with Jaime in ASOS, where he makes it clear (though very subtly) that he is willing to flip

And remember, Roose marries a Frey in ACOK. When Ramsay comes to sack Winterfell, he yells "save me the Freys!" which means he was likely in communication with his father at the time. Finally, during his last scene in ACOK Roose decides to go wolf-hunting around Harrenhall, and returns with two wolf-skins. Pretty eery foreshadowing

I caught that wolf-skins things too with Bolton at the end of ACoK. The English teacher in me immediately thought it was symbolic foreshadowing.

Robb's death made me so angry. I felt like he shouldn't have gone done like that. It was brilliant because I didn't see it coming, but I liked Robb. I thought for Catelyn, though, that it was the best death she could have had. Instead of complaining about the role she was playing in everything, she showed her true strength as a mother.

I haven't gotten far beyond the wedding (I just finished Jon's big event at Castle Black), but I know Arya can't be gone. She's a warrior. And the Hound has this thing for protecting the Stark women, or so it seems. He may not have gotten to rescue Sansa the way he wanted to, but I feel like he is looking for the next best thing in saving Sansa's little sister. I just don't believe GRRM would let Arya's death occur while she was running away. Arya would meet her death head-on, sword waving.

A well compiled list there, Ramsay Gimp :thumbsup:

Just re-reading the events immediately before the RW chapter, when Cat is speaking with Robb's banner-men inside the Twins, Roose pretty much straight-up lies to Cat about how Ramsay is helping the northmen fight the ironmen. Shows that Roose has had contact with his bastard and decided (at this point) that he will go along with his son's betrayal.

I don't think things got necessarily better. You find out some thing but I feel like nothing makes up for the Red Wedding debauchery.

I agree.

I'm just about done with AFFC now.. its good, but I dont have the drive like I did before the Red Wedding. Before the wedding I wouldnt put the book down because I wanted to see what happened with the Young Wolf next. Since then my pace has slowed to a crawl but I'm still trucking on.

I do like the idea of Robb's story. Very Alexander the Greatish. A young Prodigy cut down in his youth never suffering true defeat. The way Robb died pissed me off at first... but then when I started thinking of it as "It was the only way they could get to him, to attack him some place other than on the battlefield" it helps show just how great a strategist and commander he was at such a young age... it also shows what great parents he had.

But yeah... it goes on. It's good, but its not the same kind of good.

Having grown much attached to the House of Stark - I was so disheartened by the Red Wedding fate.

There's much to Arya's story that has yet to be told... her encounter with the man who gave her to coin... there's got to be more of that... a part of me knows her time isn't up, not just yet...

I have always felt sorry for Catelyn - how much grief and misfortune must one suffer... I still haven't quite made up my mind whether I am relieved or sad to see her go... she has had enough I think...

But I was so sad to see that we have reached an end to Robb's story. I loved his character, until he chose love over duty. It was a flaw in his character that cannot be blamed, but nevertheless it was an unwise decision, a mistake even - one that arguably costed him his life.

When I got to the Red Wedding in this book, I literally felt sick after reading it. I put the book down and didn't pick it up for a few days because I just felt so horrible about what happened. I literally had to force myself to pick up the book again and finish it.

I really liked Robb and I didn't want him to die. That being said, I kind of figured that he would eventually. It was really terrible because I think Robb honestly would have made a good king. He made a big mistake with Jeyne Westerling, but other then that he was doing pretty well. He was just plagued by betrayals.

I have mixed feelings about Catelyn. I really didn't like some of the decisions she made in the books. However, a big kudos should be given to GRRM because I felt really sad when she died. I really don't care for her character, but when she sees Robb die and her face is clawed off, I really felt sorry for her.

The wedding that comes after the Red Wedding made up for it a bit, but the Red Wedding was a real low point in the book for me.

II do like the idea of Robb's story. Very Alexander the Greatish. A young Prodigy cut down in his youth never suffering true defeat. The way Robb died pissed me off at first... but then when I started thinking of it as "It was the only way they could get to him, to attack him some place other than on the battlefield" it helps show just how great a strategist and commander he was at such a young age... it also shows what great parents he had.

I couldn't agree more. I say that I hate the way Robb died, but it truly was the only way for him to do so and stay true to his character, He was doing his duty, which is how his father lived and died. And I agree, the wedding that follows helps soften the blow.

Spoilers, so please don't read on if you haven't gotten past half the book yet or to the Edmure Roslin wedding, to be specific.

Robb, Catelyn, and Arya all died within three chapters? This just pissed me off more than I could've imagined.

I love that this is your first post!

Keep reading :)

and if you're like me, skip ahead to a certain character's POV if you just really can't stand it.

Archived