Really?

Aroban

Personally speaking, I feel it is to GRRM's strength that he is prepared to have things like the Red Wedding. In real life, people don't die when it is most dramatically convenient, but when it is most likely. Personally, by the end of A Clash of Kings, I already suspected that Robb was going to lose - against the combined power of the Westerlands, the Stormlands, the Reach and Dorne, and with Winterfell fallen and the Neck cut, he really didn't have a chance. I expected it to end like this.

Indeed. His plans to take Moat Cailin suggested a guy in a very desperate situation. He surrounded himself with the fighting force of the North and of course he would kick some ass for a while. But being such a young guy and going up against the seasoned nous of Tywin Lannister, there was only really going to be one outcome.

Indeed. His plans to take Moat Cailin suggested a guy in a very desperate situation. He surrounded himself with the fighting force of the North and of course he would kick some ass for a while. But being such a young guy and going up against the seasoned nous of Tywin Lannister, there was only really going to be one outcome.

Not true. The Lannisters got very lucky throughout the war - Renly's Death and Balon's invasion of the North are what saved them. Not to mention the Vale staying out of it. If any of those things had gone differently, the Lannisters likely would have lost

When I finished reading last Catelyn's chapter my heart was torn into a hundred pieces.

I know most of ASOIAF fans hate Cat and before going on whit this post, I must say that after Ned's death she was my favourite character. I was so sorry for her, all she wanted was to see her children again and the moment Robb died she felt so lost, so alone in the whole world that I went like:"George seriously, like seriously?!" Poor thing.

Unfortunately I think that Robb has a lot in common with Edmure. They're both so damn naive. And Robb totally had it coming.

Daenerys let me down a lot. She acts as if she's really supercunning but actually she is not.

Not true. The Lannisters got very lucky throughout the war - Renly's Death and Balon's invasion of the North are what saved them. Not to mention the Vale staying out of it. If any of those things had gone differently, the Lannisters likely would have lost

That's true, but the same thing can be said from the other side - if Theon had not been a moron (for example) and simply sacked Winterfell and taken Bran and Rickon hostage, then the outcome might have been different. For a real world example, if the British had won the Battle of the Chesapeake or if the Howe brothers had seized the initiative at certain points, the USA would likely not exist. These things did not happen, however, and the side that adapted best to the changing conditions won. It is also worth noting that a series of bad decisions by the Northern commanders caused their defeat - failing to tell Edmure Tully of their full plans, sending Theon back to Balon Greyjoy, Cat releasing Jaime Lannister, executing Rickard Karstark and Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling.

I think the thing about Robb is that he is an excellent tactician but a poor strategist. He made a series of strategic blunders that cost him the war. He gave Balon Greyjoy Theon back. He lost the support of the Karstarks. He lost the support of the Freys. He didn't reveal his plans to Edmure Tully. His mother released Jaime Lannister. Any one or even two of those things he might have been able to get away with. Unfortunately, they all came back to bite him in the arse around the same time. He was playing against Tywin Lannister, who is a good tactician, but an excellent strategist. Ultimately, when Robb put a foot wrong Tywin used his contacts to utterly destroy him (and, let's face it, Tywin did it in style).

I almost stopped reading after the Red Wedding, it was quite upsetting to say the least.

I JUST finished that chapter last evening and had to put my kindle down...damn! I am bummed to say the least and am not ready to pick it up again...

Archived