March 2012 Reads

mashiara

I'm almost 3/4 done with Reamde by Neal Stephenson. I've been reading it for about 10 days now and granted, I am busier than normal these days but part of it is this book's fault. It's like I'm reading two books at the same time, a great one that I can't put down and a really boring one that puts me to sleep. I'll see how I feel about it when I'm done.

I'm also rereading 100 Love Sonnets by Pablo Neruda, translated by Stephen Tapscott. Just because I felt like it.

What are you guys reading this month?

the arrival of liam has slowed the reading down to a crawl and as such i'm about halfway through wise man's fear and 35 kindle percent finished with the life of pi.

i think that next will be fool by christopher moore and the dragon's path by abraham. the black lung captain has been begging to jump up the queue however.

oh, and i'm slowly reading wild cards vol. 1

Recent reading:

Finished The Night Circus which was enjoyable, but ultimately seemed superficial. The circus itself was brilliant and stylish, but the story seemed almost tacked on without much substance.

Finished Mockingjay which was quite an effort. After liking the first two books, this seemed like the longest short book I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

Now working on Wise Man's Fear and truly loving it thus far.

Moving through Unseen Academicals. Like most Discworld books, it's going quickly, although I have to say this isn't drawing me in too much. I think it's because I'm not really in the mood for Pratchett, but I couldn't decide what I actually was in the mood for, so I settled for something reasonably enjoyable. And I am reasonably enjoying it.

Finished A Fire in the Sun by George Alec Effinger. It's the second book in the Audran Sequence and while this series has all the right elements of gritty SF, it's just not grabbing me.

Now halfway through Paul Kearney's just released Kings of Morning.

Have been mostly wallowing in urban fantasy for the past month, for no particular reason. And a lot of it was really disappointing, namely:

Kitty's Big Trouble by Carrie Vaughn, River-marked by Patricia Briggs and The Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison.

All of them struck me as inconsequential filler in the series that I follow and like and maybe the sign that the authors have exhausted their ideas for that particular environment and should wrap up.

The first and the last bugged me in particular.

Vaughn's offering because of idiot plot and everybody, including the supposedly

dangerous villain being ineffective bumblers. Also, both she and Briggs should

seriously lay off "my mate this or that" stuff. Yea, they are married and they are in love - we get it, all right?

Harrison's commits that worst of all sins of urban fantasy - it suddenly makes

the previously kick-ass heroine completely inept, so that she can be repeatedly

saved by a prospective romantic interest. Also, interesting characters and

intriguing overarching plot implications from previous books get thrown under

the truck in favor of deeply irritating and IMHO boring "will they, won't they" danse. Really, while Harrison always had too much romance for my taste, she balanced it against plot and consistent characterization much better until now.

Briggs was not actively irritating, but more of a "been there, done that" category.

Fortunately, the much lauded here Ben Aaronovitch saved the day with his Midnight Riot and Moon over Soho. Yes, yes, it is early days yet, but I found the setting, the writing and focus on interesting plots profoundly refreshing.

This almost made me disappointed in female authors in general until I picked up another board darling, SF this time, - The God's War by Kameron Hurley. And wow, it is really good. Imaginative setting, Islam-inspired cultures, interesting characters, grit - I would say that it is pretty comparable to Richard Morgan.

And now I am finishing Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. A very enjoyable and well-written vampire alternative history of the year 1888 in Great Britain. It first came out before the current vampire craze really caught on. Also seems to be much better than most of the stuff since :).

I liked this one very much. Hope you enjoy it!

It has one of my favourite quotes on Indian democracy (a subject I love reading about).

I am India's most faithful voter, yet I have never seen the inside of a voting booth.

And spoiling this just in case.

It is also by far his best book I'd say, the other two, between the assassinations and last man in tower, were quite effortless, but bland, The White Tiger is the least didactic of them. I think that says something.

I'm almost done with Naomi Klein's No Logo, and because of that pinko thread in Gen Chat about reading Marx's Capital, I will be doing just that. Though only if the library gets it back though, it's apparently been overdue for a while now.

Otherwise I'm rereading Naipaul's India: A million mutitnies now as I'll be going there in april. Love me some Naipaul.

Finished The Spirit Thief, by Rachael Aaron, from the ebook omnibus. It was decent, but not great. I will read the other two in the omnibus, but going to read something else next. Trying to keep myself from just going through Abercrombie again, so it will either be Hawkwood and the Kings, a random Pratchett reread, or a first reread of the second Lynch book. I will have to choose one before work.

Why is it sometimes I have my to read pile in perfect order, and other times each finished book brings me to staring at the shelves for a quarter of an hour?

Why is it sometimes I have my to read pile in perfect order, and other times each finished book brings me to staring at the shelves for a quarter of an hour?

this happens to me all the time. gilman's "the half made world" has been on top 3 different times now but keeps getting shuffled around with everything else. :lol:

Currently reading Captain's Fury by Jim Butcher. Maintains the good pacing and easy reading of the other Codex Alera books, which I enjoy.

After that I think my friends and I are starting a Wheel of Time reread in preparation for Memory of Light.

Archived