Cersei screwing up

TheDrawback

At first I was seriously upset that my Lioness wasn't the calculating huntress I thought she was, but GRRM has been making her descent into chaos and disorder so much fun that I decided she deserves it.

I found it quite entertaining how not sneaky she was. I absolutely loved that she thought she was so sly and cunning while in reality all of Westeros knew exactly what she was up to. The end of her last chapter made practically made my life. She deserved everything that happened to her.

In the last chapter I was like OMG HAHAHAHA KARMA IS A BIATCH!!

That was basically my reaction as well. I was also extremely impatient for everything to blow up in her face. It was really obvious for most of the book that everything was about to take a turn for the ugly for the Queen Regent. Then when she sent her message off to Jamie I became irritated all over again because I assumed he was going to come running back to help her out of her mess. I did another little dance for joy when he threw her letter into the fire. I mentally was like, "F*** yes, Jamie! You show her!" GRRM is shaping him into a better character with each chapter.

Agree 150%, WinterfellWoman! Jaime has been on this path to redemption that has caused so many readers to switch sides and start liking him. I wasn't one of those readers until he chucked that letter into the fire.

I'm not 100% sold on Jamie throwing the letter in the fire meaning he's not going to help Cersei, but i sure hope that's what it means...

"Does my lord wish to answer?" the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jamie rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. "No," he said. "Put this in the fire."

I'm really not sure what else that could mean. I know that GRRM likes to keep us on our toes, but that's a pretty clear indication that Jamie isn't rushing to Cersei's aid..

"Does my lord wish to answer?" the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jamie rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. "No," he said. "Put this in the fire."

I'm really not sure what else that could mean. I know that GRRM likes to keep us on our toes, but that's a pretty clear indication that Jamie isn't rushing to Cersei's aid..

It just didn't sell me is all i'm saying... Sure, he didn't answer the letter and he threw it in the fire, but that doesn't mean he's done caring for her, and that he won't try and help somehow...

Replying to the letter doesn't do anything to help, his answer may be going to help... and keeping it intact (not burning it) doesn't do anything, it's a meaningless piece of paper and he already knows what it said...

I'd guess he doesn't end up helping her, but this is GRRM we're talking here, and nothing he wrote at the end of that chapter suggested 100% that Jamie was done with her... As a matter of fact, knowing GRRM's style, he left that sucker wiiide open...

I think she is terrible to Tommen...

Agreed. She let's her paranoia of the Tyrell's get in the way of every little luxury Tommen requests. Like his wanting to learn to joust from Ser Loras. Her chapters are the ones I like the least because she is SO paranoid and WRONG about most of her paranoia. She also thinks she is doing things the way her father would've done things (lmfao). Her chapters are face palm fests for me lok

I CANNOT believe she has armed the Faith! I can see this becoming a massive problem in the future. Loads of angry pious armed zealots roaming the countryside doing the 'Faiths' work. I haven't read ADWD yet so dont know if it acutally will be an issue in the story but for their world in general it may be a disaster! In my opinion it is the signle wost decision Cersei has made. All her other rubbish decisions have really only harmed her and those directly around her but this has the possibility if affecting the whole of Westeros for years to come. Oh Cersei.

We're not gonna spoil anything for you. But keep reading. Things will become even "more interesting" before you have finished AFFC. That's all I'm gonna say. :)

I disagree, things got interesting only at the last chapter and she still brought the other Queen in trouble

To be honest, she screwed herself when she got rid of Kevan. Rather than facing up to knowing that "he knows", she dispatched him to do his own thing. A very dangerous thing to do. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer and that. He should have been Hand, she should have kept her nose out. But sweet, foolish Cersei is the most power hungry schemer in the entire game. It was her undoing.

Just remembered Littlefinger's line early in the book about Cersei "remobing herself from the game" or something. The guy is very prophetic isn't he?

Even though she's a bitch, it was really, really frustrating to see her arrested by septas. A person with, theoretically, a lot of power, loosing everything, becoming helpless, that was frustrating.

That was actually my favorite part in the plot twist :P

Though if you look deep enough, I could see Cersei doing everything she did for her children (Still don't like her).

I disagree, it looks to me quite clearly as a lie she tells herself. All her life she has assumed she was brilliant, and all that was holding her back was that she was a woman, that she was not esteemed as she should have been because of it. Once in power she thought she was going to show everyone, but all she did was ruin everything she touched. Rather than pay the piper she gets herself in deeper and deeper and makes excuses, and lies to herself and the world. It didn't even need Tyrion to turn her joy to ashes.

I did start to enjoy Cersei's POV and really made sympathize with her and her approach to the issues handed to her. Even after she granted power to the Faith I was patient with her. But she has done enough damage to the Realm ; so I say spare her from Winter and off with her head. Like Pycelle always said "Treason is Treason."

Cersei does not do everything for her children. She put them in danger by conceiving them with Jaime in the first place, then she makes Joff a monster by spoiling him. She treats Tommen absolutely horribly, without a spec of insight or warmth. She is obsessed with appearances rather than realities which is not at all motherly.

I do not find her a sympathetic character and I do not enjoy her chapters at all. They are about as enjoyable as Damphair's chapters, no Damphair's are probably more enjoyable come to think of it. I'm having trouble in general with AFFC, though. I'm in the middle of a re-read and I find that unlike the first three books, I'm not getting as much out of a re-read as I would have thought.

Archived