US Politics: 1950's edition

Only issue I'd take with this is that generally, it makes much more sense to focus on the problem of violence than on the problem of gun violence.

I disagree with this. Gun violence does have this annoying habit of turning fatal a great deal more quickly than most other forms of violence.

Guest Raidne

Sorry, posting from phone, technical problems. Anyway, gun rights were an open question until the last couple court cases, which fundamentally changed things.

So when you say golly gee it's not like laws never change, it sounds kind of stupid because it's about as likely as the Court deciding that the Equal Protection clause doesn't mandate Equal Protection. K is right - it's settled law now. Issue over. Get over it. You can ruminate over what restrictions you want all day long but most of them are going to require an Amendment. Specifically a hand gun ban as that is the one thing the Court has explicitly stated you cannot do. Talking about a handgun ban is literally a waste of breath.

I'm a crazy librul who likes firing guns too. But at the same time, I'd like to take some guns away from the general populace, have a national registry of owned firearms and possibly tighten up the way third party sales are done.

For third party sales (by which i mean one individual selling to another) I'm thinking of something similar to the title of a car.

It's not simplistic. Okay, so there is greater production inelasticity with regard to guns; that doesn't mean that supply wouldn't catch up to demand, and it's not as if the concept of a "gun runner" is a new one.

It doesn't mean that supply wouldn't catch up to demand but it would make it far far more difficult for supply to match a high level of demand in the manner seen with recreational drugs.

These are very very basic microeconomic principles.

Actually the very very basic microeconomic principle would be that in response to the changes in the production environment the supply curve would shift significantly and demand would adjust to the new prices bringing a new equilibrium at potentially a far lower quantity of guns.

Guest Raidne

Come on T, I've been pro second amendment rights for at least a decade. My parents have a shooting range in the yard, no joke.

a far lower quantity of guns.

But still more than enough to sustain every last bit of gun violence in the country. Demand would plummet, but only among people that value the law to begin with, which has this amazing inverse correlation with potential perpetrators of firearm-related crime. Never mind that we're talking about a magical hypothetical here anyway.

I disagree with this. Gun violence does have this annoying habit of turning fatal a great deal more quickly than most other forms of violence.

I agree in principle, but focusing on gun violence is what has lead some anti-gun activists to suggest that, for example, 2 knife murders/hundred people would be a better society than 1 gun murder/hundred people. Concentrating on causes rather than means usually gives much better results.

Demand would plummet, but only among people that value the law to begin with, which has this amazing inverse correlation with potential perpetrators of firearm-related crime.

Which market do you think the guns that end up in the black market were originally produced for? It would take time but if there was the political will to take action of course the supply of illegal guns would go down because there's no way that nonindustrialised small scale black market producers are going to be able to match the hundreds of thousands if not millions of guns that apparently pass into the illegal market for guns in the US every year.

Which market do you think the guns that end up in the black market were originally produced for? It would take time but if there was the political will to take action of course the supply of illegal guns would go down because there's no way that nonindustrialised small scale black market producers are going to be able to match the hundreds of thousands if not millions of guns that apparently pass into the illegal market for gunsin the US every year.

But as my original post stated, and as Raidne eloquently confirmed and Kouran ineloquently confirmed, the RIGHT to own a handgun is established law. The same way that freedom of speech is established law. This debate is already won.

I agree in principle, but focusing on gun violence is what has lead some anti-gun activists to suggest that, for example, 2 knife murders/hundred people would be a better society than 1 gun murder/hundred people. Concentrating on causes rather than means usually gives much better results.

Well okay, yeah, that's just fucking stupid. My perspective is, it just so happens that gun violence is the low-hanging fruit in our society when it comes to the murder rate. If we had a spectacular problem with people beating each other to death with avocados, I'd suggest a strategy focusing on reducing avocado-related violence. I'm a pragmatist.

But as my original post stated, and as Raidne eloquently confirmed and Kouran ineloquently confirmed, the RIGHT to own a handgun is established law. The same way that freedom of speech is established law. This debate is already won.

And, honestly, I'd rather these nutjobs spend their time advocating against gun-control laws than doing damage somewhere else. Let them have their pistols if it makes them feel better.

Mate I live in the UK where the debate is already won as well. It's a discussion board, I'm sharing my opinion. If we're going to rule out sharing opinions on subjects were the status quo is unlikely to change in the forseeable future I think you're going to have to reconsider posting much on the nature of government in the future.

Archived