1) The USA didn't bomb the hell out of Nth Korea when they got da Bomb. And they are a way more scary lot than Iran.
2) Funny I was just reading an article (sorry can;t find the link any more) where Netanyahu is quoted as saying Israel needs to be the master of it's own fate, and it needs to be able to defend itself by itself. Conveniently both statements forget that fact that US aid helped and continues to help Israel pursue its chosen fate, and its ability to defend itself. If nothing else I think that buys the USA the right to tell Israel whether it can push the big red button or not. If israel actually attempts to destry Iran's Nuclear infrastructure that will set off a fire storm, and the USA will have no choice but to commit men, machinery and money to help Israel defend itself.
3) If the USA said to Israel (which it never will): "You started it against our express wishes, so you're on your own on this one." Israel would soon find itself in a rather dire situation.
1) But they can't reach the continental US. Big difference.
2) Obama needs to get re-elected. We need Iran stopped ASAP. Conflict of interests ensues...
3) True. Not sure how long the "you're on your own" will stick, though.
Israel, on the other hand, routinely thumbs its nose at international law, so they are more than capable of going pre-emptive without anyone's approval, even the USA's; knowing that the USA has their back and will veto any counter-resolutions in the Security Council. Netanyahu might find he has arrest warrants out on him in most continental EU countries, but he would care about that about as much as he would care about an arrest warrant for him in Iran itself.
I beg to differ regarding nose thumbing. We do have a right to self defence, and it does extend to not letting people who publicly state they want to kill us, get the means to do it.
Iran will not bomb Israel for the very simple reason that Israel has a forty year head start in the development of nuclear weaponry. At most, Iran wants to achieve a Middle-Eastern MAD.
Israel is tiny. One bomb and we are out. Iran can sustain multiple hits and survive.
I do understand why Israel would be concerned about Iran, but the bottom line is that the thing that they profess to be most afraid of is almost unimaginable. The Iranian leadership is not suicidal. Or do you think that they are?
I'm not happy about using this this argument, but since it still holds water: "That's what they said about Hitler".
I agree with much of that, but it's not perfectly analogous to those other situations. As RBPL said, Iran may be seeking mutually-assured distruction. That requires the Israeli response which is likely already automated. Iran would be crazy to strike them. Tinfoil hat...batshit insane...choose your descriptor.
No. Israeli response depends on our submarines commanders willing to do what needs to be done.
Edited by Samalander, 06 March 2012 - 05:43 AM.