Isn't that what cadet branches are for?

Sometimes. But, unless you are a Targaryen, a daughter of the main branch still inherits over her relatives from the cadet house.

Girls from the main branch still have a lot of worth, see Arya and Sansa Stark. In many cases, vassals would rather see the female children of their late lord inherit rather than for the lordship to go to some far-flung branch of the family tree. And some cadet branches can be very far-flung, having been established many generations ago.

Sometimes. But, unless you are a Targaryen, a daughter of the main branch still inherits over her relatives from the cadet house.

Girls from the main branch still have a lot of worth, see Arya and Sansa Stark. In many cases, vassals would rather see the female children of their late lord inherit rather than for the lordship to go to some far-flung branch of the family tree. And some cadet branches can be very far-flung, having been established many generations ago.

That makes sense,but using the old Starks for an example, we've never heard of any Queens of Winter. But we do know of them establishing a cadet line, the Karstarks. That suggests to me that at least in the north, they preferred to pass the succession down through the male heirs. (Note: Obviously we don't have a complete Stark genealogy, so obviously this post is deduction, and inference.)

That makes sense,but using the old Starks for an example, we've never heard of any Queens of Winter. But we do know of them establishing a cadet line, the Karstarks. That suggests to me that at least in the north, they preferred to pass the succession down through the male heirs. (Note: Obviously we don't have a complete Stark genealogy, so obviously this post is deduction, and inference.)

I believe that the Karstarks were descended from a male Stark off-shoot, not a female line.

And no, we haven't heard of any ruling Queens of Winter, presumably because the female Starks would marry a man from outside of the family and that man would adopt the name Stark and become the King. Children from the union would also be named Stark and would not take their father's name.

Mummer is possessive in that sentence, just like the Sun's Son. So the sentence should mean that the said Dragon is someone's Dragon, that someone being a Mummer, that Mummer being Varys.

Not necessarily. "Mummer's" can also indicate fakeness, as in ASOS when Dany uses the term "mummer's tears" to refer to someone's fake tears. It's also important to note (as so, so, so many people seem to forget) that the mummer's dragon is associated with the "slayer of lies" line from the HotU. So it's pretty safe to say that whoever the mummer's dragon is, there's something fraudulent about him.

I believe that the Karstarks were descended from a male Stark off-shoot, not a female line.

And no, we haven't heard of any ruling Queens of Winter, presumably because the female Starks would marry a man from outside of the family and that man would adopt the name Stark and become the King. Children from the union would also be named Stark and would not take their father's name.

Sorry I was unclear. I meant that lets say the main stark lord died off with no heirs. I personally find it more likely that the succession would pass to a male heir of the Karstark line(Founded by a younger stark), to use an example, rather then a female of the main Stark line.

Of course the easiest thing would be just to marry them.

Am I making sense?

Sorry I was unclear. I meant that lets say the main stark lord died off with no heirs. I personally find it more likely that the succession would pass to a male heir of the Karstark line(Founded by a younger stark), to use an example, rather then a female of the main Stark line.

Am I making sense?

Daughters typically inherit before uncles (e.g. Alys Karstark is the current heir to House Karstark, not her uncle) or other distant relations. House Targaryen seems to be the exception to this rule, based on past inheritance practices.

Am I making sense?

Yes, you are making sense. I just don't agree with you. A female of the main line has the greater claim, that is a fact. See Fake Arya and the worth that she had. Why go to the trouble of faking up an Arya if she has no claim?

In the end, inheritance really comes down to who has the bigger army but the fact still remains that females are not excluded from the succession. They come after their brothers (if any) but they are still part of the succession. And, excepting Targaryens, an only or eldest girl with no brothers can expect to inherit from her father. Usually her husband would rule in her stead but any sons she bears would carry her family name. Hence the family continues, but in the female line.

Yes, you are making sense. I just don't agree with you. A female of the main line has the greater claim, that is a fact. See Fake Arya and the worth that she had. Why go to the trouble of faking up an Arya if she has no claim?

In the end, inheritance really comes down to who has the bigger army but the fact still remains that females are not excluded from the succession. They come after their brothers (if any) but they are still part of the succession. And, excepting Targaryens, an only or eldest girl with no brothers can expect to inherit from her father. Usually her husband would rule in her stead but any sons she bears would carry her family name. Hence the family continues, but in the female line.

Fair enough, I just seem to vaguely remember someone talking about how the Karstarks felt they had a claim to Winterfell, due to a succession issue.

See above post, Bael the Bard is a good example. If you think that's just a legend, I would implore you simply to use common sense. Over thousands of years there is obviously going to come a time or two when there is no male heir. A good point of reference here is the discussion over what to do with Lady Hornwood and the Hornwood lands, when there was no male heir bearing the Hornwood name. I recall at least one of Lady Hornwood's suitors offering to take the Hornwood name to ensure its continuation.

Crackpot theory on how Rhaegar left with Lyanna - He attempted to replicate Bael the Bard's legend. By going to Winterfell under disguise, playing so well that Rickard granted him any request he so chose, choosing a blue rose (Blue roses seem to be recurrent in this series) and when Rickard woke the next morning, Lyanna and Rhaegar would be gone, with the rose left on Lyanna's pillow. It matches, but only so far, since in the legend they hide under the castle and Bael eventually is killed in battle by his own son.

The point I was trying to make is, Aegon no matter if he is a Blackfyre or Targaryen is the last Male with the most Dragons blood(If you don't count Jon) so he should get Blackfyre

This is a good question for Apple Martini, but I believe if Aegon is a Blackfyre descendant he would probably have less Targaryen blood than the Baratheons, meaning Stannis would have more 'dragon's blood' than Aegon Blackfyre.

Your right Stannis would have more Dragon Blood but I was just going with the fact that we know of him as a Baratheon.

We don't know what Aegon is.. and please don't say its a good question for Apple. Think for yourself please, Apple does not know all.

He might not be a Blackfyre pretender. In The Mystery Knight I think it's mentioned that Aerion Targaryen fathered a couple of children in Lys after his father sent him packing. A great grandbastard of Aerion Brightfire, anyone?

I had thought that too, but given his particular arrogance, I suspect he might have settled for a Blackfyre female, since that would be truly the closest he could get to a "sister" for the purity of the dragon blood.

I actually tend to think that the Blackfyres might have practiced incest more than their trueborn counterparts.

Given that there were probably all half-brother and sister, cousins, etc, they were more numerous- they just didn't care so much at this point about being trueborn, as much as being pure blooded.

And they did say his son was passed over in the succession, so the child by a Blackfyre female, could still inherit so long as Aerion married her, making it legitimate.

That line may feel they have more of a claim than any of Rhaegar, or Visrys sons.

Your right Stannis would have more Dragon Blood but I was just going with the fact that we know of him as a Baratheon.

We don't know what Aegon is.. and please don't say its a good question for Apple. Think for yourself please, Apple does not know all.

Haha, I thought I was thinking for myself when I gave my opinion on the subject. Apple might not know all, but she is very good with questions of genealogy and succession.

I think that Aegon is a pretender. Remeber, he is propped up by Varys. Varys "serves the Realm" he doesnt care about who Aegon's bloodline is, He only cares that the realm prospers and that the commonfolk are treated well.

That is the line that Varys always feeds to anyone who asks his motives, but IMO it is one of the biggest lies in the entire series. Varys has done nothing BUT make the realm bleed, repeatedly and often, working behind the scenes to destroy alliances and any hopes of peace.

Varys wants Aegon on the throne, period. That is his sole motive for everything, and he is happy to put the realm through another round of chaos amd destruction to make it happen.

If he gives one good damn about the realm of Westeros for its own sake, he is sorely confused about how to go about doing it any lasting good. Even putting Aegon on the throne will not bring peace; there will always be those who claim he is a pretender and fight against him.

Haha, I thought I was thinking for myself when I gave my opinion on the subject. Apple might not know all, but she is very good with questions of genealogy and succession.

Yeah very good lol, hardest thing in the world to look at the Wiki... copy---paste

Yeah very good lol, hardest thing in the world to look at the Wiki... copy---paste

That's not really what I do, but if it makes you feel better about yourself to assume that, be my guest.

If it was just as easy as doing a Wiki search, no one would have to ask any questions and no one would get anything wrong.

Archived