Was GRRM an unknown writer before HBO?

cseresz.reborn

(sigh)

so many intelligent comments ... If you did not wish to help me, then why did you even bother to post in the first place? No one has ever treated me this way since I started on these forums (I'm on this board (regularly) since 2003-2004, member since 2007), almost everyone has always been friendly and helpful to me.

Mods: please lock (or delete) this thread

You have 21 posts and registered in Sept 2011 so you can't have posted here since 2003 and at least in this incarnation you have not been a member since 2007. Were you a lurker? Using another nickname?

If you were, you'd know that posting topics that you could have googled yourself fairly quickly is normally a reason for people to be....a bit uncivil. If this upsets you, I seriously do doubt you have been around for years and years, since the occasional flamewars have broken out for much smaller reasons. I got called a moron for suggesting someone use the multiquote button only yesterday if it makes you feel better.

As it is, you still did get quite a few good and polite responses. Perhaps you were just unlucky with formulating your topic title. :)

Lyanna, a lot of posters lost their original username since a recent board upgrade. Just FYI.

And yeah, GRRM is about as well-known as any fantasy author can expect to be, at least before HBO. He had multiple best-selling books in hardcover and is currently the biggest selling author alive in the fantasy genre. HBO made the books and the characters mainstream to the point where there are internet memes and absurd amounts of discussion, but otherwise he's about as unknown as any other new york times bestselling author is - IE, not at all. And in fantasy circles he's a god.

Lyanna, a lot of posters lost their original username since a recent board upgrade. Just FYI.

I did not question his use of that username, but that if he claims he has been here as long as he has....it is very unlikely that this is the worst thing someone has said to him. :) (I actually asked about the previous username to see if it was someone I recognised.)

and is currently the biggest selling author alive in the fantasy genre

Certainly not. Meyer, Rowling and King are bigger on just about every level. Martin may be next (itself a mind-boggling concept) if you only count sales-per-book. In terms of overall sales he's still behind Brooks, Weis & Hickman, Salvatore, Goodkind and maybe Feist and Paolini (though they're close ones).

If you were, you'd know that posting topics that you could have googled yourself fairly quickly is normally a reason for people to be....a bit uncivil.

Well ,to be fair, people disagree about the topic. Most people I know had NEVER heard of GRRM before HBO. Now they know more than me, read Dance before me and so on. (for gods sake, my MOTHER is watching season one now. I never even mentioned the show/books to her, and she asks me if I have read anything by this GRRM)

Far more importantly, this is in no way a reason to be mean, just for the hell of it. To say 'fuck' and 'shit' is fine by me. Personal attacks isn't. The lack of any rules sort of sucks. *Sigh* You'd think there were moderators for a reason.

Well ,to be fair, people disagree about the topic. Most people I know had NEVER heard of GRRM before HBO. Now they know more than me, read Dance before me and so on. (for gods sake, my MOTHER is watching season one now. I never even mentioned the show/books to her, and she asks me if I have read anything by this GRRM)

Far more importantly, this is in no way a reason to be mean, just for the hell of it. To say 'fuck' and 'shit' is fine by me. Personal attacks isn't. The lack of any rules sort of sucks. *Sigh* You'd think there were moderators for a reason.

Yeah, this whole thread is strange--the guy asks a basic question and gets pretty much lambasted for it... :wacko:

Certainly not. Meyer, Rowling and King are bigger on just about every level. Martin may be next (itself a mind-boggling concept) if you only count sales-per-book. In terms of overall sales he's still behind Brooks, Weis & Hickman, Salvatore, Goodkind and maybe Feist and Paolini (though they're close ones).
Meyer isn't fantasy. King isn't either. (in terms of where they're stocked on the bookshelves, is how I'm rating). Rowling is a good point, though I still tend to think of Harry Potter as YA or kids and not fantasy, but that's still fair.

And yes, I was counting sales per book. He's clearly not as productive as Pratchett or other authors but per book he sells a lot more than almost anyone. Dance with Dragons was (and continues to be) a massive event, for instance. As was Feast for Crows.

i don't know if i'd say lambasted really. a lot of us are a tad snarky, that's all. i'd suggest a thicker skin. :dunno:

on topic, i'd say 'unknown' is completely and utterly wrong. several reasons have already been given. i'd reiterate the NYT bestsellers, the tv work and frontrunning for or outright winning major awards in the field. to say george is in any way unknown would be insinuating that all authors in the genre are unknown, YMMV.

in terms of where they're stocked on the bookshelves, is how I'm rating

Fair enough, but it's an imprecise definition. The Waterstones chain in the UK, for example, stocks selections of King in both Horror and SF/Fantasy (but usually in Horror alone if it's a smaller store), whilst the WH Smiths chain stocks King firmly in fantasy.

The other issue is that The Dark Tower sequence - which I think is inarguably fantasy - by itself has sold over 30 million copies, meaning it's also more popular even with sales-per-book than ASoIaF, let alone King's other fantasy work (and I'd count Eyes of the Dragon and The Stand as being much more in the fantasy genre than horror).

From beyond the grave, Tolkien has a hearty laugh about these sales figures and drinks another pint with C.S. Lewis.

on topic, i'd say 'unknown' is completely and utterly wrong. several reasons have already been given. i'd reiterate the NYT bestsellers, the tv work and frontrunning for or outright winning major awards in the field. to say george is in any way unknown would be insinuating that all authors in the genre are unknown, YMMV.

See, I don't know it you're right about the OP being wrong...about being right...about... :stillsick:

But in all seriousness, it entirely depends on how you define "unknown." Like, unknown to SF/F fans? Unknowns to middle america? Unknown to the mainstream? Unknown to the...world?

To sort of tangientally bring it to bear on what Mod Angelin is wanting us to do ( :) ) I think SF/F sales, no matter how objectively large, are still a niche market--there are many insular worlds out there. A world of Romance novels. A world of 19th century Russian fiction. A world of manga; and populating these worlds are people so expert in their niche that when the idea comes along that somebody doesn't know about what they know about, it's almost incomprehensible. It's like the town the picks up the high school jock/straight A student to be a god-like entity--until said God-like entity goes off the college and the town and he realizes he's little more than one god-like entity among hundreds.

So to bring what I'm trying to say home, was GRRM "unknown" to SF/F fans? No. Was he "unknown" to the mainstream? I can pretty much unequivocally say yes. Hell, I'm a SF/F fan and I'd never heard of him until the series came out.

So like so many other things, it depends on perspective. From teh view of the SF/F fan, GRRM is a huge fish. But to the main "Stream?" he, until GOT the series, was not really well noticed.

Archived