GreenHand

There has been much lament on the threads about how long it is taking Daenerys to leave Slavers Bay for Westeros. But there is much that would need to be in place for Dany to do this. It bears discussing.

Four reasons past and present for Daenerys staying in Essos, and especially in Meereen:

1) She wants to learn to govern well (a trial run)

2) She wants to ensure her conquered lands are taken care of/appropriately established

3) She tires of running and fighting, she wants to grow something worthwhile

4) She needs an army and ships to retake and reach Westeros

In Astapor she realized that she does not know enough to govern well. She has learned many lessons since and still will. So fair enough. In Astapor she left behind a council of three, a healer, a scholar and a priest. That was a disaster. Astapor is worse now than it ever was. She never wants a repeat of that. Now that she has freed so many she feels she owes it to her new "children" not abandon them to a bad fate.

Dany now has an adequate army and some ships (including those she could seize from the forces outside the walls of Meereen. Her vision/dream/Targeryen realisation on the Dothraki Sea in ADWD suggests she has largely let go of the idea of growing something. at least here. She realises she will always be foreign and opposed in Meereen, despite the support of the shavepates.

So the real question is what and who does she leave behind in Meereen to ensure that all she has done does not unravel and collapse on itself?

In the mix are:

Her new husband of the Ghiscari nobility, Hizdahr zo Loraq.

The Green Grace.

The shavepates (those who have turned from the old ways in support of Dany), including the Brazen Beasts currently serving as city guard and lead by Skahaz mo Kandag.

The Sons of the Harpy.

The new freedmen.

The old Meereenese nobility, including Daenerys' young hostages.

All the Slavers across Essos

The two fearsome dragons roosting in the the great pyramids.

Dany's personal retainers including her Khalasar, her new local-born knights, the Unsullied

And let's not forget her new treaty with the peace-loving but food-providing Lhazarene on the plains. How do they fit in? One of her new knights, the Red Lamb, is a Lhazarene...

So who can and will Daenerys (en)trust to rule Meereen so that she can leave. Who will take care of her children. Or will there be some kind of cleverly wrought political construct to maintain the balance?

Well if she leaves,she won't hand over her conquest, so she would prob set up a Castellan, but still rule as Queen. But as for who it could be, i have no idea. The person would have to be foreign because a native would legalize slavery, causing the continent to fall back into its barbaric ways

Given that the Green Grace is probably the Harpy, and given that Dany still seems to like her a hell of a lot more than the few other Meereenese she actually knows (Reznak, the Shavepate, Hizdahr, etc.), I'd bet a significant amount of money that if Meereen is still standing when Dany leaves, she'll probably leave the Green Grace in charge of it. The Green Grace then reinstitutes slavery, everything Dany tried to do is undone, and by the time Dany realizes this, she's too far away to do anything about it.

Tyrion would actually be a good choice + some better looking figurehead. But of course he wants to go home and see Cersei burning. Or she may send secret envoy to Westeros for someone Tyrion and Selmy agreed on. As for other people I'm wondering about Jorah, he was slaver and screwed as lord and then he spied on her but now he is loyal and he must have learned something from the Old Bear, right?

It seems quite likely to me that she'll bring the Dothraki to Meereen. They need somewhere to stay as the Long Night approaches, and she needs forces who can keep her rule in place.

I dont think so, if she were to keep soldiers in Meereen it'd be the Unsullied, they would be less suitable in Westeros. But I see no reason why she would stop governing, she has a Dragon it won't take that long to get from point A to point B

I dont think so, if she were to keep soldiers in Meereen it'd be the Unsullied, they would be less suitable in Westeros. But I see no reason why she would stop governing, she has a Dragon it won't take that long to get from point A to point B

Why would the Unsullied be less suitable in Westeros? They won't rape and pillage, which is why she obtained them in the first place.

Why would the Unsullied be less suitable in Westeros? They won't rape and pillage, which is why she obtained them in the first place.

I ment for warfare, Unsullied are very light infantry, best for fighting calvary (dothraki) But a bunch of Eunuchs fighting fully armord knights would be a massacre. However the Dothraki could attack the knights at great distances and trap them under their armor.

Besides the Dothraki would rape and enslave Meereen if they were left in charge

At this point with Dany thinking in terms of 'Fire and Blood', she'll probably burn the other two cities in Slaver's Bay to the ground and sow them with salt, sulfur, and skulls, like her ancestors did to Old Ghis.

The survivors will be the ones who were loyal to her and she'll do what she should have done in the first place, forge them into an army, get her hands on some ships, and hightail it to Westeros.

There's also a mention by a character (don't remember whom) that people from Westeros would not accept someone at the head of a slave army. They may consider Dothrakis about as low as a sellsword, but at least Dothrakis are free men (at least the ones who fight).

If the city is still standing in the long term, I like the idea that she'll leave it to the Green Grace or put her at the head of a ruling council or something. Never knowing, or not knowing until it's too late, that the Green Grace was the Harpy all along. Because that's something Dany would do.

Archived