Jon Snow's Future

Lady Nico of Lys

King in the North , King of Winter , Warden of the North ... I think there has to be a new arrangement for the 7 kingdoms, and titles ( titles,titles..) may change..There's no doubt in my mind though , that Jon will be some kind of king. The raven names him king more than once IIRC.

Even for the CoTF and BR ,looking into the future has to be seeing a number of possible futures depending on who does what , and I see Jon's election as LC ( and the raven's part in that ) as just a stop gap measure to save his life until such time as he could become king ... since otherwise Slynt would have become LC and Jon would have been doomed...

Becoming LC also contributed to Jon's final refusal of Stannis' offer, which , if he had accepted it , would have meant rebelling against Stannis when the time came for Jon to take power in his own right...This way, I feel we're building toward yet another working agreement between Jon and Stannis ( probably reluctant on Stannis' part ) ;) that would make the attendant loss of life rebellion would bring unnecessary.

I think Jon is going to become king, and reunite the realm by marrying Margaery Tyrell. Because of his (R+L=J) parentage, it is in his character's DNA to combine opposing forces. He is a vessel of unification. A conduit through which two opposing elements become one. Jon's fundamental nature as a unifier of opposing entities has already expressed itself in the story. During his short time as LC of the NW he became a historically noteworthy conciliator* by bringing the Wildings into the fold. Not only that, but when did so he became their leader; i.e., they swore their oaths to him. So will the southroners in time.

Now that Jon has inherited the title of King in the North, it makes sense both thematically and politically for him to (re)unite the North with the 'south' (aka, the rest of Westeros) under his leadership. The only bond strong enough to keep the North happily tied to the south is a marriage alliance. And not just any marriage, but a union between Northern and southern royalty. Since the Kingdom of the North is supplying the king half of this alliance, the south will have to produce the queen. Conveniently, the story provides an excellent solution for just such an occasion in the form of Margaery Tyrell.

But she's already married to the king! Tommen Baratheon, titles, titles, etc. Yes, I know. However, he will not sit the throne for long. Either his bastardy will be proven, 'disqualifying' him from the kingship or he will die, as foretold in Maggy the Frog's prophecy. It might even be that the former causes the latter. Remember when Cersei rearmed the Faith Militant? I'd love to read that conversation someday. Super awkward, even for Cersei, who was totally okay with having her twin brother's babies. :blink:

Unfortunately for the Tyrells, this will leave Margaery kingless, once again. Fortunately for the Tyrells, they don't let stuff like that get them down. Unfortunately for the Tyrells, Margaery is only the queen consort, so she cannot inherit the throne. Fortunately for the Tyrells, they are currently the strongest house in all of Westeros. Stripping our current queen of her crown is likely to be extremely difficult at best, and result in a civil war with the Reach at worst. This gives the Tyrells more than enough leverage to assure Margaery's place beside the new king. After all, it's not very productive to welcome the North back into the kingdom only so they can help you pick a fight with the Reach.

Of course Margaery will need to marry a queen-less king. Conveniently, the story provides an excellent solution for just such an occasion in the form of Jon Snow. Because around the time that Margaery is looking for hubby number four, Jon is going to become the most eligible bachelor in Westeros via Robb's will. Politically speaking, Jon Snow and Margaery Tyrell are perfect for each other. :wub:

I almost forgot to mention that Jon Snow will adopt the blue winter rose as his sigil. This blue rose will be combined with the gold rose of House Tyrell in some fashion to create a new sigil to represent the new dynasty. The conclusion of the Westerosi civil war will then tie in nicely with the end of the Wars of the Roses, where Henry Tudor proclaimed the red rose as a Lancastrian symbol, in order to combine it with the white rose of York to form the red and white Tudor rose, which itself signaled the beginning of the new Tudor dynasty.

*No, that word wasn't a coincidence. I meant to allude to Jaehaerys the Conciliator. Because of Jon's role in the story, the 'good' Targaryen traits are the ones we should see him display. So if their best king was a conciliator, you could expect Jon to be one too. So far, so good.

@ J. Stargaryen

While your plan is well thought out, I just wonder: where you think Daenerys will factor into the situation?

Thank you. To answer your question, probably dead. Possibly in the zombie apocalypse. At least out of the picture somehow. There is only room for one queen in Westeros. This means that Dany and House Tyrell have conflicting interests. If Dany and Jon were about to dance, the Tyrells would get all BFFy with Jon in a hurry. It would be the best way to protect their own interests.

Thank you. To answer your question, probably dead. Possibly in the zombie apocalypse. At least out of the picture somehow. There is only room for one queen in Westeros. This means that Dany and House Tyrell have conflicting interests. If Dany and Jon were about to dance, the Tyrells would get all BFFy with Jon in a hurry. It would be the best way to protect their own interests.

I think this is a great way to get our warm and fuzzies at the end of ADOS, and would be thrilled to see that happen...

Except Marge is still part of the problem with Westeros. The end of this series will hopefully put all the player in the 'game of thrones' out to dry, and good or bad, theres a new order.

However, (going by the actress, dont recall if they describe Margaery as a ginger) she may remind Jon of Ygritte, and falls in love.

Interesting idea though, best happy ending politically i've read

EDIT:May have quoted the wrong one, mainly talking about your previous post. As far as Dany goes, I think she may very well never make it to Westeros, and that whole POV was to give the readers insight to "the dragon". 3 Dragons exist now, and they WILL factor in to the climax of the series

I think this is a great way to get our warm and fuzzies at the end of ADOS, and would be thrilled to see that happen...

Except Marge is still part of the problem with Westeros. The end of this series will hopefully put all the player in the 'game of thrones' out to dry, and good or bad, theres a new order.

However, (going by the actress, dont recall if they describe Margaery as a ginger) she may remind Jon of Ygritte, and falls in love.

Interesting idea though, best happy ending politically i've read

EDIT:May have quoted the wrong one, mainly talking about your previous post. As far as Dany goes, I think she may very well never make it to Westeros, and that whole POV was to give the readers insight to "the dragon". 3 Dragons exist now, and they WILL factor in to the climax of the series

Thanks for the feedback. I do have my doubts about just how happy the ending will be. I don't think everyone will get what they deserve. I think some will end up better off, while others are worse. I don't think GRRM will draw a line in the sand with 'good' guys on one side and the 'bad' guys on the other. I think some of our heroes are going to lose and die, and I think some of the baddies are going to live and win. But as far as baddies go, the Tyrells really aren't that bad. They're just in it for themselves. Once they align themselves with Jon they will get a PR makeover. ;)

Jon and Margaery is an interesting possibility but I've got a superstitious prejudice against Margaery. She's unlucky - everyone she marries dies! (I'm pretty sure Tommen will die too) and I'm scared for Jon to be near her.

I'm a Jon-Dany shipper myself but I'm in the minority around here. I think they'd work together because there are many similarities in their stories and they are both outcasts in their own way.

I think Jon would still want to do his duty after his resurrection, and he swore to protect the lands of men (be the horn that wakes the sleepers, etc.). From the Halfhand, he learned the true meaning of this oath, that even seen in public to be betraying the NW (with the corresponding loss in "honor") can be the correct course to take as long as it is in the interests of the end goal, the protection of the north and the 7K.

Given this, I think it's possible Jon may accept wardenship over the north, being lord protector of Winterfell, even king in the north (as Robb's designated heir) or king of the entire 7K (as a hidden heir of Rhaegar) as long as he deems it necessary to strengthen the Wall and the defence against the Others in general.

Since it's quite likely his body will be repaired by Melisandre's magical means (the magic in the Wall itself doing something is an alternative, but I guess Melisandre is present, and interested in a living Jon, for a reason), I fear that he may turn into a magically sustained character, much like Beric or Melisandre herself, with no need to eat or drink anymore. In that case, he will probably continue with fighting the Others (possibly much more effectively with his now supercharged body), but if this fight includes being lord over anything but the NW itself I think he would step down as soon as the threat of the Others was defeated.

Jon and Margaery is an interesting possibility but I've got a superstitious prejudice against Margaery. She's unlucky - everyone she marries dies! (I'm pretty sure Tommen will die too) and I'm scared for Jon to be near her.

I'm a Jon-Dany shipper myself but I'm in the minority around here. I think they'd work together because there are many similarities in their stories and they are both outcasts in their own way.

One of the things I like about the Jon-Margaery theory is that the pairing is very far from obvious. That is, until you realize - or at least imagine - that Jon will take the blue winter rose as his sigil. It is a key that unlocks many doors.

If we have two rose sigils, the WotR storyline comes back into focus. For those that know the history, Jon Snow's adoption of the blue rose sigil will more or less mirror the post-war adoption of the Red Lancaster Rose symbol by Henry Tudor. If Jon is going to walk any further in Henry VII's shoes, he'll then need to officially put an end to Westeros's version of the WotR by marrying his blue rose to the gold of Tyrell to reunite the kingdom under one ruler.

• 3 months later...

I recently finished A Dance with Dragons and decided to read through the series all over again while I wait for The Winds of Winter to come out. There's a specific part of the first book that has me worried about what could happen to Jon, though. During the Bran chapter where he dreams about the Three Eyed Crow for the first time, Bran sees Jon "sleeping on a stone bed with all memory of warmth fleeing from him" (or something along those lines). Knowing about Jon getting stabbed in the back, what if he dies and comes back as a Wight? I obviously hope that I'm misinterpreting Bran's vision, but the part about the very memory of warmth fleeing from Jon does make it possible. It's been hinted at (unless I forgot some confirmation of it) that the dead can come back as Wights even if they weren't killed by an Other, which would explain why the Wildlings always burn their dead. I hope that I'm not right about this.

• 1 month later...

I think Jon will not become the king in the north, he is strong sense of duty will overcome the need to become the northern king,even if the wall falls of and Jon survives the fight he will remain at the site and will build another one with Bran who I think has a link with Bran the builder, and there are no scarcity of alternates. Rickon is still to grow into a young lad, if GRRM shifts the timeline to five years in the future seasons, Rickon will grow up to be a suitor of the Northern throne. Dany is too ambitious and her cause is not noble, she only wants revenge, so I do not believe that Dany is worth the Iron throne. As far as Bran is concerned, he will stick to the roots of wierwood tress and will help everyone fight the war against the wights and the white walkers through out the winter. Theon, I suppose will emerge as a very strong contender for the Irone throne, his encounter with Ramsay has proven to be a salvation and has changed his perspective for good.

I agree with Landed Knight, I also do not want Jon to be reincarnated as Red Jon with the powers of Melissendre. That would be too bad as the good in Jon is what makes his character so appealing in the story.

I trust that the Red god and the five star god will ultimately fall into a bad blood a.k.a war of religions. I do not like both of them.

His 'strong sense of duty to protect the realm of men' is exactly why he has to accept the Kingship, if offered to him. It's been proven to him time and time again that no one really cares that the Others are there, he can ask for help from the Northern Castles, even if he'd sign 'Ned Stark's son' they don't really send anyone, not to mention what the IT would rather do...

If that's not clear enough that being LC won't cut it, making them by being their King might.

As for Mel: she knows I have long claws as well. :P

Archived