A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

Read back over the last thread here.

The last issue raised

I have been reading the hersey threads and I came across something I did not quite get. Are Mance and Craster brothers? Who are there parents? I remember reading that Craster was fathered by a man in the Watch or was that Mance...

was answered with

Craster is supposedly the child of a Brother and a Wildling, and Mance was captured as a baby from Wildlings during a ranging. Whether they are brothers is not revealed in the books, but they have a long-standing animosity towards each other.

I'm only part way through Dance with Dragons, but find myself wondering what's happened to Rickon and Osha and Robb's wife. If I've obviously missed something about this from earlier books I'd appreciate the information, but if it's a case that I need to read more of Dance with Dragons please just tell me to keep reading!

I'm only part way through Dance with Dragons, but find myself wondering what's happened to Rickon and Osha and Robb's wife. If I've obviously missed something about this from earlier books I'd appreciate the information, but if it's a case that I need to read more of Dance with Dragons please just tell me to keep reading!

Robb's wife Jeyne was sent back to her family in Feast for Crows. If I don't misremember, we don't have any information about whether she's arrived yet or what she is up to now (if anything - at least marriage is something that's explicitely forbidden to her until the dust settles and potential children can not be confused to be Robb's).

Rickon and Osha have separated from Bran, Hodor and the Reeds in Feast for Crows following the advice that maester Luwin gave directly before he died. The storyline only followed Bran's party, so at the middle of Dance, nothing is known about them yet. You might want to keep on reading though :-)

Haha ... here you are: keep reading :drunk: I'll add a spoiler

we don't know more about Rickon and Osha at the end of ADWD. There is a theory on this board that Jeyne Westerling is saved by the Blackfish; otherwise she is with her family. Jaime promised the Westerlings that a good match would be found for her, but that this had to wait two years to prevent gossip about a child being Robb's son.

I am confused about publications, amazon sent me an e-mail saying that ADWD part 2 After the feast was being published on the 17th, but I have bought the double edition for kindle is this already published but late to kindle (for spoiler-free reference at the end of my copy something dramatic happens with Jon at the end)

I am confused about publications, amazon sent me an e-mail saying that ADWD part 2 After the feast was being published on the 17th, but I have bought the double edition for kindle is this already published but late to kindle (for spoiler-free reference at the end of my copy something dramatic happens with Jon at the end)

The "normal" edition is the one you already have, one book with the spoiler-free reference you mentioned and it's been published as "A Dance with Dragons" in kindle and hardcover format.

In addition to that, a paperback edition that is split in two parts ("1: Dreams and Dust" and "2: After the Feast") will soon come out and these two parts will be available on kindle as well (kindle and paperback will be released on the same day). Of course it makes little sense for you to buy the kindle part 1 and kindle part 2 if you already have the kindle complete edition, but I guess that kind of reasoning is a bit beyond the algorithms amazon uses to write these information messages.

I just reread Melisandre's chapter. She is with Mance, disguised as Rattleshirt

The wildling began to scrape the dirt out from beneath his nails with the point of his dagger.

Their conversation is interrupted because the heads of three rangers are found on the other side of the Wall. Since the rangers have lost their eyes, everyone incriminates the Weeper. Then Jon, Mance (still in the guise of Rattleshirt) and Melisandre have a conversation.

Snow wrenched his arm away. “I think not. You do not know this creature. Rattleshirt could wash his hands a hundred times a day and he’d still have blood beneath his nails.

Isn't it a big hint that Mance killed the three rangers outside? (There is a logistical problem. But Mance also mentions that he has climbed the Wall half a hundred times.) It was easy to incriminate the Weeper by removing the eyes.

Moreover, according to several reports, the Weeper is far away near the Shadow Tower.

Isn't it a big hint that Mance killed the three rangers outside? (There is a logistical problem. But Mance also mentions that he has climbed the Wall half a hundred times.) It was easy to incriminate the Weeper by removing the eyes.

Moreover, according to several reports, the Weeper is far away near the Shadow Tower.

An interesting theory, but I'm not sure it has a concrete answer. Your best bet would be to take it to a discussion thread (or make your own if an appropriate one doesn't already exist) and try to puzzle out motivations, opportunities, etc.

Read back over the last thread here.

The last issue raised

was answered with

I think the age differences are too great for this to be true. Craster is describe as being "very strong" for an older man and he has daughter/wives that are in their 30s. I see Craster being closer in age to L.C. Mormont. Mance is a younger guy, in his mid 30s.

Dany always says she is the last Targ but in theory couldn't there be more and even some with a better claim? Like Aerion Brightflame's descendants?

Maybe there is, probably not, but it is possible.

But Dany think's she is the last because she was told that, but that doesn't mean that this is true.

Hey there, I've read ADWD but couldn't help but noticing certain discussions whic created a certain doubt in my mind. So, I have some questions.

(1) Is Jon Snow truly dead? As in, that stabbing scene was his end, right? Although I do know he can come back as a warg.

(2) Is Stannis doing something with the ice lake his army is camped next to?

Hey there, I've read ADWD but couldn't help but noticing certain discussions whic created a certain doubt in my mind. So, I have some questions.

(1) Is Jon Snow truly dead? As in, that stabbing scene was his end, right? Although I do know he can come back as a warg.

(2) Is Stannis doing something with the ice lake his army is camped next to?

(1) There's no yes/no answer to this until more info comes from GRRM. See the "Heresy" thread in this forum for theories and such (I believe that's the right place). It's on its 7th leg, so you might have some catching up to do.

(2) Same as above. See the "Theon I" thread in the TWOW forum for speculation.

Okay, so I'm kind of jealous of the fact that you guys have such great debating ability with regards to this book series. I'm good at talking about books, but need to get my facts straight to compete here.

1. Confirm this for me, there were no Sansa chapters in ADWD, right? And what has she been up to since she began the descent down the Eyrie with Lord Robert Arryn?

2. Varamyr Sixskins and Jon are the same type of being right? As in, wargs?

3. When a warg dies, is he transferred to an animal?

4. Ramsay lied about Stannis being dead, right?

1. Confirm this for me, there were no Sansa chapters in ADWD, right? And what has she been up to since she began the descent down the Eyrie with Lord Robert Arryn?

Confirmed. We don't know what she's been up to since thenn (i.e. speculate away!).

2. Varamyr Sixskins and Jon are the same type of being right? As in, wargs?

Mostly yes: Wargs seem to be those skinchangers who form their bonds with wolves. Jon did that and Varamyr was trained that way and although he also formed bonds with other animals, the wolves were the easiest and the most important ones to him.

Of course Jon's ability is much less pronounced (yet) and he is completely untrained while Varamyr was fully aware of his and used it consciously.

3. When a warg dies, is he transferred to an animal?

It seems that this usually happens, namely to the wolf he formed a bond with (it seems that it works for other skinchangers with their other animals too, like Orell and his eagle). Varamyr's POV indicates that if something prevents you to get in your wolf, your second life is lost. Varamyr believed he had a choice into which one of his animals he wanted to transfer, meaning that maybe wargs could probably also chose to let go.

4. Ramsay lied about Stannis being dead, right?

Many think so. But there are many people who believe that it wasn't even Ramsay who wrote that letter... I'd say at this point, there are many valid speculations here.

Archived