A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

Do we have any evidence one way or the other as to whether the world in ASOIAF is round-- e.g. that you could potentially sail from the east coast of Essos to the west coast of Westeros?

I don't think there's evidence in either direction. You're thinking about "to go west you have to go east"?

I don't think there's evidence in either direction. You're thinking about "to go west you have to go east"?

Yep. What got me thinking about it again was a quote in the Mance Rayder thread which mentioned silk from Asshai in a cog which was washed up on the Frozen Shore, which is on the west coast of Westeros. Not impossible that it got there the long way, but suggestive...

Do we have any evidence one way or the other as to whether the world in ASOIAF is round-- e.g. that you could potentially sail from the east coast of Essos to the west coast of Westeros?

I'm fairly sure there's an SSM where GRRM says the world is round. I couldn't find it now, and I'm out the door but I'll try to find it when I get back.

I'm fairly sure there's an SSM where GRRM says the world is round. I couldn't find it now, and I'm out the door but I'll try to find it when I get back.

Thanks! I found it: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1206/

3) Is your world round. I mean if Dany traveled far enough east couldnt she come to the other side of westeros?

Yes, the world is round. Might be a little larger than ours, though. I was thinking more like Vance's Big Planet.... but don't hold me to that.

I think the age differences are too great for this to be true. Craster is describe as being "very strong" for an older man and he has daughter/wives that are in their 30s. I see Craster being closer in age to L.C. Mormont. Mance is a younger guy, in his mid 30s.

Man is closer to Ned's age. He has gray streaks in his hair.

Okay, so Jaime's last POV page in ADWD was a scene where he had just met Brienne. My question: where did they go?

We don't know for sure, but it's assumed that Brienne is leading him to the Brotherhood Without Banners. That's the last anyone has seen of him, judging by Kevan's statement that he's "vanished in the riverlands" in the ADWD epilogue.

For which Kings (or period) was Pycelle grand maester at the Red Keep?

Pycelle was the last Grand Maester to serve Aegon V. Thus he served the following kings:

*Aegon V Targaryen (233-259).

*Jaehaerys II Targaryen (259-262)

*Aerys II Targaryen (262-283)

*Robert I Baratheon (283-298)

*Joffrey I Baratheon (298-300)

*Tommen I Baratheon (300-)

Thanks! I found it: http://www.westeros....SSM/Entry/1206/

3) Is your world round. I mean if Dany traveled far enough east couldnt she come to the other side of westeros?

Yes, the world is round. Might be a little larger than ours, though. I was thinking more like Vance's Big Planet.... but don't hold me to that.

It's also worth noting that in some interview or mail GRRM said that nobody has traveled so far east that they reach Westeros from the west instead of the east through the narrow sea

Archived