A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

This is my first post here, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread or if it has already been asked.

I was just wondering if we know who has pink sealing wax? I've had a look and have seen Theon, Asha, The Boltons and someone at Castle Black. Is there anyone else that I may have missed?

The spoiler tag below has to do with information regarding TWoW.

Is it possible that the Maester in Theon I of TWoW has pink wax? Although I'm not sure how that would fit in the timeline.

Also, who knows that Theon is known by Reek (if anyone but the Boltons may have written the letter - this isn't my question, only who knows the name)? "...And I want my Reek."

This is my first post here, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread or if it has already been asked.

I was just wondering if we know who has pink sealing wax? I've had a look and have seen Theon, Asha, The Boltons and someone at Castle Black. Is there anyone else that I may have missed?

The spoiler tag below has to do with information regarding TWoW.

Is it possible that the Maester in Theon I of TWoW has pink wax? Although I'm not sure how that would fit in the timeline.

Also, who knows that Theon is known by Reek (if anyone but the Boltons may have written the letter - this isn't my question, only who knows the name)? "...And I want my Reek."

I think pink wax would be a dead giveaway. I don't know what wax the maester uses.

• 2 weeks later...

so why did littlefinger want jon arryn dead?

That would lead to Robert asking Ned to be Hand, and the letter he had Lysa send would lead to Ned accepting the position, and he would continue to spark a conflict between the Lannisters and Starks.

Wasn't it known that the Bastard of Bolton ran around with Reek? Didn't people in the north and elsewhere know the foul stuff they got into? Cause I dont see how the things he did before his sham marriage #1 went un noticed..

It was known as Lady Hornwood said ramsay had a servant, Reek, that was as horrible as he was. They probably heard some rumors.

That would lead to Robert asking Ned to be Hand, and the letter he had Lysa send would lead to Ned accepting the position, and he would continue to spark a conflict between the Lannisters and Starks.

Well that and Jon Arryn was getting close to spilling the beans on who actually fathered Cersei's kids.

I'm failing to remember and I don't have the book with me - what did Mance tell Theon in regards of who him and the washerwomen really are and why they are smuggling Jeyne out?

Theon still thinks of Mance as Abel at the end of ADWD, if that answers your question. He doesn't say anything about his or the spearwives' true identities in the conversation we see in the book.

Well that and Jon Arryn was getting close to spilling the beans on who actually fathered Cersei's kids.

but why was he so intent on keeping Cersei's secret? Just to remain in his current position of power? doesn't seem likely that Robert would remove him as master of coin or anything.

Theon still thinks of Mance as Abel at the end of ADWD, if that answers your question. He doesn't say anything about his or the spearwives' true identities in the conversation we see in the book.

It kind of does, and that's how I vaguelly remember it, but it seems odd - what were the dynamics before that. Was it just "We're not really a singer and washerwomen, let's smuggle the girl out! - OK, let's do it!" ?

:agree:

Littlefinger wasn't ready (nor Varys) for the crap to hit the fan, but went with it when it did.

but why was he so intent on keeping Cersei's secret?

Because he thrives on chaos. Cersei's secret is a bomb waiting to go off, under the right conditions. But if Jon Arryn had managed to convince Robert of the truth, then that bomb would be defused. It was better for Littlefinger's purposes to kill Jon Arryn and bring the Starks down to King's Landing, where the possibility of conflict was much greater.

Because he thrives on chaos. Cersei's secret is a bomb waiting to go off, under the right conditions. But if Jon Arryn had managed to convince Robert of the truth, then that bomb would be defused. It was better for Littlefinger's purposes to kill Jon Arryn and bring the Starks down to King's Landing, where the possibility of conflict was much greater.

I think he also wanted Ned to be in the middle of things when the bomb went off, not to mention it got rid of Jon Arryn(who might kill LF if he got found him sleeping with Lysa) and having Lysa kill him pushed her further in to Crazytown.

Besides, its LF he does things just because he can.

• 3 weeks later...

but why was he so intent on keeping Cersei's secret? Just to remain in his current position of power? doesn't seem likely that Robert would remove him as master of coin or anything.

I believe Jon Aryn finding out about Cersei was just an opportunity that littlefinger had been waiting for, not a motivation.

This is what I am referring too. I don't think he wanted to keep the secret at all, since he pushed Ned into discovering it. He just used the situation he saw to try and achieve his goal. With Cersei and Jaime's affair, Cersei's owning Pycelle, Roberts cluelessness, and Jon Aryns lack of skill at the game of thrones, he was able to pull it off up to this point, it was brilliant.

Littlefinger needed Jon dead to become the Lord of the Vale, the Cersey secret is just a opportunity, LF doesn't get his hand dirty and also doesn't do anything without someone to take the blame in case anything goes wrong.

That is why I think that he made his first mistake when he killed crazy Lisa in front of Sansa.

Indeed, Bran should be expected to recognize his uncle... if he ever saw his face. Which Coldhands doesn't show (he conceals it with a scarf I think?). The kids demand he reveals his face in Bran's first Dance chapter at spearpoint, but Coldhands still refuses to show it to them.

Those that disagree with 'Benjen = Coldhands' usually point to the next Bran chapter, where Coldhands has to wait outside. Bran is afraid that "They'll kill him", but one of the children replies "No. They killed him long ago." Some people feel that no CotF would ever call a time of 3 years "long", considering their life span is longer than humans. As someone who considers a carton of milk that's even 2 weeks past its "use by" date to have expired long ago, I find that rather weak. But then of course the only strong reason why Benjen should be Coldhands is that it would fit so neatly that the one big unknown identity beyond the Wall and the one big unknown fate of someone beyond the Wall would match up.

Archived