A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

But why does Mel glamour and interchange Mance and Rattleshirt?

Mance can still be useful. He's clever, bold, capable and upright. He can be expected to be grateful after being spared, and if that's not enough he's still dependent on Mel and her glamour so it's in his own interest to cooperate. Plus, any time he proves to be a nuiscance or Mel needs some king's blood, he can still be killed.

On the other hand Rattleshirt, as per Jon's assessment at least, is pretty much untrustworthy, devious and not even that good. There's not much lost in having him burned, but much to be gained in having Mance as your secret weapon / aide.

If there was a vision on top of that reasoning, I don't think we've been told.

So then why does Mel reveal the switcheroo to Jon?

I get this weird feeling that i've got this part of the story slightly twisted in my head, need to re-read aDwD, AGAIN.

It was the only way Jon would go along with her plan on sending Rattleshirt/Mance.

Mel says that Stannis wanted absolutely Mance to be executed for forsaking his vows of the Night's Watch and for treason.

The only way to save him was to let Stannis think he was effectively executed.

But she doesn't care if Jon knows the truth.

She is currently on a trip back to KL accompanied by Nymeria and Tyene Sand with a hundred spears.

Or not, in case Doran sent a "fake" one. Why would he abandon such an valuable hostage (sister to the king) when he intends to defy the Iron Throne? But "officially" your explanation is correct.

Is there any indication on what happened with Sam Tarly? We know he reached Citadel at end of aFfC and we know that Eoron sacked Oldtown and Citadel in aDwD, any word on what happened with Sam?

No, there is nothing in ADwD to suggest that Oldtown had been sacked as Dragonfish stated. There's a thread on what will happen at Oldtown.

Dany always says she is the last Targ but in theory couldn't there be more and even some with a better claim? Like Aerion Brightflame's descendants?

The Targ line is dead in the male line. I bet the Golden Company has produced a few Blackfyres at the least.

yes.

gut-wise benjen also felt like a somewhat important character and from the beginning i had the feeling he might sooner or later be important to the story, to some extent. But i thought the same thing about Robb, Joffrey or Tywin and we all know what happened :ack: Allthough they all had their fair share of importance, but anyway i did expect them to be important for longer. Especially Joffrey. I thought, when he was about to marry margery, that he will now really start to kick off, but then, well... :)

I believe GRRM has teased us about Benjen not being quite dead, in reality or in the story plot.

Personally, I think he is in the deeper levels of the crypts at Winterfell.

but why was he so intent on keeping Cersei's secret? Just to remain in his current position of power? doesn't seem likely that Robert would remove him as master of coin or anything.

I think he just saw an opportunity to make trouble and maybe boost himself. Lysa killed Jon under his guidance. He may have even given her the idea - knowing she hated Jon and loved Little Finger. This gave her the excuse to flee Kings Landing especially if LF put it out that Jon was onto Cersei. Note Stannnis also booked out of there - he knew the rumor too and could have gotten it from LF or Jon and may have presumed this is why Jon was killed. We have been led to believe this is why Jon was killed but I doubt it. I mean, it could have meant trouble in the near future but I dont think the Lannisters were onto him yet.

If that is the case do we know what the extra chapter is for WOW????

I'm sure this has been addressed by now but for those like me, starting on this thread and no patience to look further:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4uB5dqTYBLwSmNzUVE3M1VHZVE/edit?pli=1

THe THeon chapter is at the end and actually it can be found by googling Winds of Winter sample chapter or sth like that. I believe this is the teaser chapter at the end of the paperback.

I'm really confused over the stimulus that prompted Jamie's change of heart, turning from a bad guy, to a, well, sorta good guy. I know people say it was Catelyn's chastising of him, combined with the ill feeling of Cersei's betrayal maybe with a bit of shame developed from Brienne's constant "kingslayer" taunts, but it still seems quite a big leap, for a character who threw a kid of the castle wall without batting an eyelid.

Any thoughts?

I put it to the accusation by Catelyn that he had shit for honor. After being worshipped all his life and living the life of a dissolute young man he realized not everyone shared this view of him.

Archived