Odds of Jaime and Brienne Ending Up Together

Ser Adam Dayne

I would personally like to see Brienne and Jaime having plump babies together and Jaime finally learning how to be a father for a change. He admires her and is actually finally seeing the inner beauty of a woman outside of his infatuation with Cersei's looks.

If not, I know I am in the minority for saying this!, but I would like to see Hyle Hunt step up to the plate! People bash him for some of the cruder things he has said and done but Jaime was no different at the start! Hyle is starting to appreciate her as a woman and a person as well. He just hasn't had as long as Jaime has and he still has both his hands.

(my biggest issue with Jaime and Brienne is due to the fact that he hasn't let go of Cersei yet....he needs to finally let her go emotionally before he could be with Brienne or any woman)

(my biggest issue with Jaime and Brienne is due to the fact that he hasn't let go of Cersei yet....he needs to finally let her go emotionally before he could be with Brienne or any woman)

I agree with this. This might become less of a problem once a certain prophecy is fulfilled though... ;)

I really love the Jaime/Brienne relationship, but I don't see them having a romantic happy ending (not in this series). We might get a kiss or a song but I don't think Brienne would go full monty while Jaime is still in the KG (vows, vows, so many vows) and ultimately I think one of them will die for the other in some tragic, heart-wrenching, tear-jerking way. :crying:

Yeah, I could definitely see them buried face to face in some nameless ditch somewhere. So I'd say the odds are pretty good of them ending up together.

You're funny.

They were already tied together face to face on a horse with only Jaime's rotting hand between them. So this suggestion seems too similar to that. They need to do something a little different, like a love scene. I think Jaime is well on the way to letting go of Cercei emotionally. It may be that making some move toward Brienne is actually one of the final steps in that process. This storyline has been going on since Book 2! I feel like something - maybe not sweet, sweet, loving - but something has to happen, even if they don't get a happy ending. And not just somebody dying tragically for somebody either.

I agree with this. This might become less of a problem once a certain prophecy is fulfilled though... ;)

I really love the Jaime/Brienne relationship, but I don't see them having a romantic happy ending (not in this series). We might get a kiss or a song but I don't think Brienne would go full monty while Jaime is still in the KG (vows, vows, so many vows) and ultimately I think one of them will die for the other in some tragic, heart-wrenching, tear-jerking way. :crying:

Yeah, I could definitely see them buried face to face in some nameless ditch somewhere. So I'd say the odds are pretty good of them ending up together.

You're funny.

They were already tied together face to face on a horse with only Jaime's rotting hand between them. So this suggestion seems too similar to that. They need to do something a little different, like a love scene. I think Jaime is well on the way to letting go of Cercei emotionally. It may be that making some move toward Brienne is actually one of the final steps in that process. This storyline has been going on since Book 2! I feel like something - maybe not sweet, sweet, loving - but something has to happen, even if they don't get a happy ending. And not just somebody dying tragically for somebody either.

I could see them both dead together in a ditch but I don't thik it will happen. As to them being tied together face to face, Martin does like to do things in pairs so I wouldnt' rule this out either. :)

In all seriousness, short term affair is about the best we will see. I hate to say it, but I don't think Jaime will survive the series. He's got the word "doomed" written all over him. He may end up getting over Cersei but he is very, very far from that. I'm not sure how much he'll be past all that by the time the series ends.

He may end up getting over Cersei but he is very, very far from that. I'm not sure how much he'll be past all that by the time the series ends.

Really? I don't necessarily think Brienne/Jaime will get a happy ending or that Jaime will survive, but I do think he's actually far along the path of getting over Cercei, and not just because of the sleeping with Lancel and the Kettleblacks and maybe Moonboy thing. I think he also doesn't like the people she surrounds herself with, the way she treats Tommen, and the way she treats him (disrespecting his desire to keep his oath to Catelyn and sending him off to Riverrun/giving only when he asks/her clear contempt for his having been crippled and disgust with his stump). He is relieved to be away from King's Landing (which also means away from her) once he leaves in A Feast for Crows. He thinks about her very little, but thinks of Brienne several times. He has Peck burn the letter she sent him. He does not even know if she is alive or dead in ADWD, thinking about how she may have been executed and how she is guilty of everything she is accused of. He starts to feel more frequent attraction to other people (Pia, the camp follower in ADWD).

The only thing I see to show he isn't completely over her is that part where he thinks about how once he settles the Blackwood surrender, he'll be free to return to King's Landing, to his King, "and to Cercei, his heart sang." And I was actually really surprised by that line exactly because until that point, he seemed to have gotten over her completely. And he does go off willingly with Brienne at the end of that ADWD POV and has been with her since, presumably, for weeks - the big question is what that means. Is he a hostage? Has he made a choice? Who knows? But I think he is about 80% of the way to breaking away from Cercei completely, if not further.

This sort of thinking, that so and so 'is not good enough' for someone, always annoys/ saddens me. Surely the only person whose opinion matters about whether a man is 'good enough' for her is Brienne. After all, how many men have thought that Brienne was 'good enough' for them (apart from Ser Hyle, who is more interested in her property, not her as a person)? Even Renly was amused by her, behind her back, as Loras tells Jaime. Brienne has been laughed at and scorned by most men, who see her as freakish and not a proper woman at all, and view her warrior prowess as unnatural. Even Catelyn pitied her appearance! For all that he hides it under typical sarcasm at time, Jaime at least has grown gradually to respect as a person, a fighter and even as a woman. That is what Brienne craves - respect as a person in her own right, respect for her choices, what she is and what she believes in.

Abso bloody lutely. :) So far we have seen no other man stand up for Brienne, but Jaime does. He punches Red Ronnet in the face when he mocks her, and when he stops Loras from fighting her, he gets hurt when she does not realise what he has accomplished. As you say, Jaime may not articulate it yet, but his feelings for Brienne almost jump off the pages. In AFFC someone asks what he wants in a woman and he replies "innocence".

Does Brienne want to be a wife and mother? I got the impression from her POV chapters in AFFC that she was rather torn by this: she reflects at one point that if her first betrothed hadn't died young, she would have been married and had several children by then. She doesn't express any anti-motherhood statements, but rather she seems to me to exemplify a woman who has made her choice, and wants to continue doing this. She wants to be the one to decide who she will marry, and doesn't want to be simply bartered off as a piece of property for the sake of lands and titles.

:agree:

Brienne really put her foot down with regards to marriage. Even if she may never have the chance, she has firmly said what I think Sansa articulates in AFFC: a wish to be loved for yourself and not just a cynical pawn in the game for social climbing, which both Brienne and Sansa are sought after for.

(You know as a total sidenote here and regarding what Cat praised in a woman, I think Jaime once remarked that she had broad hips and shoulders, so it's not like Brienne is totally and utterly built like a man, she's just tall and immensely strong for a woman.)

But one thing is certain about both characters: they don't let others' opinions of them rule their lives. So if they ever get the chance to be together, and decide that it is what they want, then it wouldn't matter a damn what anyone else thought about who was good enough for whom!

Totally, which is one of the reasons I really like Brienne and Jaime together. They're both such complete outsiders. I think she's almost the only one to have broken through his immense loneliness and that he makes a genuine connection with. And she doesn't see him as just "The Kingslayer". Other people may admire his skills or his looks, but Brienne knows his bad deeds and she can still respect him. I find his absolute trust in her really moving too. Jaime doesn't seem to trust anyone much, not his sister, not his brother, not his father, possibly Adam Marbrand to a degree, but Brienne he just seems to trust in an almost absolute fashion.

I think the most important part is that despite it all, Brienne seems to genuinely care for Jaime and he definitely cares for her. Their own choices, so go them!

The only thing I see to show he isn't completely over her is that part where he thinks about how once he settles the Blackwood surrender, he'll be free to return to King's Landing, to his King, "and to Cercei, his heart sang." And I was actually really surprised by that line exactly because until that point, he seemed to have gotten over her completely.

He's been conditioned to think this way over years and years though, and that sort of thing doesn't die that quickly. He's still tormented over his feelings for Cersei in AFFC, but what is clear is that when he is around her, he's really starting to dislike her. He still thinks she is physically attractive, but he seems repulsed by her personality and actions. He mentions at some point that she constantly makes him angry. He's also still mulling over her betrayal of him, so no, I don't think he's completely over Cersei. In fact, I think it will take him a long time to get over her completely. I mean they've had an illicit relationship for 15-20 years. It's not going to go away in a couple of months. In fact, that it IS almost going away says a lot.

And he does go off willingly with Brienne at the end of that ADWD POV and has been with her since, presumably, for weeks - the big question is what that means. Is he a hostage? Has he made a choice? Who knows? But I think he is about 80% of the way to breaking away from Cercei completely, if not further.

There's another interesting comment here from Cersei herself in Kevan's chapter I think when Kevan tells her Jaime went off with some woman, tells her it's Brienne and Cersei thinks "he would never leave me for that woman". And you know, since Cersei is never right... :)

As for Jaime being doomed, I am not convinced. Since he has an almost death it means he's not dead, which means he has something still to do in the story. I'm more worried for Brienne, but I hope the POVs getting killed off first are the minor ones (Victarion, Damphair, Jon Con, etc). Brienne doesn't actually have a huge amount of foreshadowing in her chapters. Jaime has some, and some of it is tied to Brienne (which is a good thing). The only things I can think of wrt Brienne is that she thinks of Oathkeeper "It is a sword fit for a hero" which may indicate she will become one. The second thing is how when she is injured and thrown on horseback by the BWB, she keeps thinking that Gendry is Renly, so perhaps she will have something to do with Gendry's storyline and the Baratheons' future.

Something that makes me hopeful (perhaps falsely) about Jaime and Brienne's future is that I just can't believe GRRM would create these carefully described, somewhat mystical (colors that are not what the blacksmith intended), MATCHING swords, connect them to Jaime and Brienne (one is intended for Jaime, but given by him to Brienne, while the other is in the hands of his family/son as far as we know), and not have us see them using them, especially after Jaime's weirwood stump dream in ASOS, in which Tywin specifically says, "I gave you a sword," and Jaime finds it, uses it to free Brienne, and then a seemingly matching sword (both flickering with pale fire) appears around her waist.

That just seems like obvious foreshadowing to me that we will see Brienne using Oathkeeper and Jaime using Widow's Wail to fight together. So they can't die until then! And that could take awhile, because Jaime has to get Widow's Wail from King's Landing! Oh, and hopefully, he'll give it a less tacky name, for god's sake.

Their story isn't over yet and while I'm not sure how it will end, I don't see them ending up 'together', even if they both survive the series. 

I think they'll continue to grow closer and their feelings for one another will further develop as they survive UnCat and whatever else is thrown their way and one of two things happen...

If they both live they'll end up with separate lives doing their own thing (whatever that may be) with lifelong memories of their love/feelings for each other.

Or, she dies (here comes the romantic in me) in his arms with him telling her that he loves her in the most poignantly written scene of the series that make the most ardent Jaime-haters cry like little girls.

I also think Martin intends for there to be parallels between Brienne/Jamie and Cat/Ned. Ned and Cat weren't infatuated with each other when they met and yet they became the most stable couple to be featured in the series. And I think deep down, Jamie always wanted to be a bit like Ned, honourable, reliable and devoted. Brienne is his chance to be that person.

Actually, there are quite a few more parallels between these two and Sandor/Sansa than there is between Cat/Ned. I think Cat/Ned are much more a foil for Robert and Cersei.

I think you might enjoy reading this post:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/69551-from-pawn-to-player-rethinking-sansa-vi/page__st__20#entry3349024

Really? I don't necessarily think Brienne/Jaime will get a happy ending or that Jaime will survive, but I do think he's actually far along the path of getting over Cercei, and not just because of the sleeping with Lancel and the Kettleblacks and maybe Moonboy thing. I think he also doesn't like the people she surrounds herself with, the way she treats Tommen, and the way she treats him (disrespecting his desire to keep his oath to Catelyn and sending him off to Riverrun/giving only when he asks/her clear contempt for his having been crippled and disgust with his stump). He is relieved to be away from King's Landing (which also means away from her) once he leaves in A Feast for Crows. He thinks about her very little, but thinks of Brienne several times. He has Peck burn the letter she sent him. He does not even know if she is alive or dead in ADWD, thinking about how she may have been executed and how she is guilty of everything she is accused of. He starts to feel more frequent attraction to other people (Pia, the camp follower in ADWD).

The only thing I see to show he isn't completely over her is that part where he thinks about how once he settles the Blackwood surrender, he'll be free to return to King's Landing, to his King, "and to Cercei, his heart sang." And I was actually really surprised by that line exactly because until that point, he seemed to have gotten over her completely. And he does go off willingly with Brienne at the end of that ADWD POV and has been with her since, presumably, for weeks - the big question is what that means. Is he a hostage? Has he made a choice? Who knows? But I think he is about 80% of the way to breaking away from Cercei completely, if not further.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think he has strong feelings for Brienne, even more than he realizes at this point. My point wasn't so much that he'll never, ever be able to move on from Cersei but that it will be a very difficult thing to do. Prior to Storm, Jaime has been defined by only two things, his sword arm and his love for Cersei. Within a very relative short amount of time, he's lost both. Brienne gave him a reason to live and I think he is slowly figure out how to define himself as more than a sword. But, I don't think he is there with Cersei yet. He's never been with another woman, he's never loved another woman, and just about every decision he has made up until Brienne has been defined by Cersei. That's a lot of baggage for someone which is why I think it could easily take years for him to move past.

For the sake of argument, let's say they end up taking, marriage, kids, all of it. Even in this scenario, I could foresee Cersei being a presence or a shadow in his life, even if a minor one. Her influence on him is permanent. Hopefully that, makes more sense.

Having said all that, I do think there is something between them and would not at all be surprised if they come together in some way before the end of the series. That may be a short affair, a single chaste kiss, or something else. I just don't think they are endgame. Martin

There's another interesting comment here from Cersei herself in Kevan's chapter I think when Kevan tells her Jaime went off with some woman, tells her it's Brienne and Cersei thinks "he would never leave me for that woman". And you know, since Cersei is never right... :)

As for Jaime being doomed, I am not convinced. Since he has an almost death it means he's not dead, which means he has something still to do in the story. I'm more worried for Brienne, but I hope the POVs getting killed off first are the minor ones (Victarion, Damphair, Jon Con, etc). Brienne doesn't actually have a huge amount of foreshadowing in her chapters. Jaime has some, and some of it is tied to Brienne (which is a good thing). The only things I can think of wrt Brienne is that she thinks of Oathkeeper "It is a sword fit for a hero" which may indicate she will become one. The second thing is how when she is injured and thrown on horseback by the BWB, she keeps thinking that Gendry is Renly, so perhaps she will have something to do with Gendry's storyline and the Baratheons' future.

Well, if Cersei says it, then it must be true, she's never been wrong about anything. :)

I don't think Jaime will die with the BWB but I don't think he'll make it to the end of the series. I absolutely hope I am wrong in this. As much as I like the idea of a Jaime/Brienne pairing, I like the idea of Jaime/Jaime Not Dying a whole lot more. :)

I would personally like to see Brienne and Jaime having plump babies together and Jaime finally learning how to be a father for a change. He admires her and is actually finally seeing the inner beauty of a woman outside of his infatuation with Cersei's looks.

If not, I know I am in the minority for saying this!, but I would like to see Hyle Hunt step up to the plate! People bash him for some of the cruder things he has said and done but Jaime was no different at the start! Hyle is starting to appreciate her as a woman and a person as well. He just hasn't had as long as Jaime has and he still has both his hands.

I found another person besides you and me who is actually intrigued by the idea of Brienne and Hyle. Have to go find the thread .

I found another person besides you and me who is actually intrigued by the idea of Brienne and Hyle. Have to go find the thread .

lol, I'm beginning to really like Hyle as well. He stuck up for Brienne when Randyll Tarly was being a misogynistic prick to her and it got him canned. I even think his marriage offer was somewhat genuine lol.

As for Jaime, I'm stunned at how much sympathy George has been able to stir up for the guy who threw Bran from a window and was intent on killing/maiming Arya after Nymeria bit Joffrey. Even the new better version of Jaime threatens Edmure by saying he'll throw Edmure's baby at Riverrun from a catapult, and I still couldn't get angry at him.

I'd be so pissed if Jaime dies, but I don't see how. I think he's the one to kill Cersei (I imagine Cersei the constant screwup will manage to get Tommen killed and Jaime will kill her for it), and we still have his Weirwood induced dream which I'm guessing was prophetic.

Him and Brienne must end up together lol. They're so great together, one of my favorite character pairings in the novel.

Jaime's love for Cersei has taken a rather unloving path since SoS: he would never have thought of his lover/sister as the Queen of Whores before. On the other hand, I think that his weirwood tree dream means that Brienne is the one who'll redeem him. I mean, he tell her things he never said to anyone, they understand each other... But I know that there will only be bittersweetness at the end. So I think it'll end like that: they manage to escape Stoneheart, then start a relationship; Jaime even marries her and leave her at Casterly Rock when he leaves for the Great Final Battle. He survives it; when he comes back he keeps thinking of his future atoned life. When he arrives home, there's only Genna ( yes, I want Genna to survive. I love Genna.) who looks down and silently give him a little package in swaddleclothes, with golden hair and saphire blue eyes. Jaime then reflects on both his sadness and the fact that for the first time he actually loves a child of his own. Then he slowly exit the room, symbolizing his leaving the game of thrones...

It's in Cersei's chapter, actually. The interesting thing is that, right after Kevan tells her who Jaime disappeared with, she thinks a "Her" that seem to contain such derision, whether because she saw some interaction between those two or because Brienne's looks represent everything she despises, that it would only make a romance/affair/something between J and B even more interesting, especially if Cersei heard about it some point before her death/ruin. :devil:

Archived