Some selected quotes from the story we can use for discussion purposes...
Times Brienne thinks about Jaime when they're apart:
1) Jaime would not do that. He was sincere. He gave me the sword, and called it Oathkeeper.
2) She meant to keep the heavy oaken shield Jaime had given her, the one he'd borne himself from Harrenhal to King's Landing.
3) The bathhouse had been thick with the steam rising off the water, and Jaime had come walking through that mist naked as his name day, looking half a corpse and half a god. He climbed into the tub with me, she remembered, blushing.
4) Would that Jaime had come with me, she thought... but he was a knight of the Kingsguard, his rightful place was with his king.
5) Zollo and Rorge and Shagwell would have raped her half a hundred times if Ser Jaime had not told them she was worth her weight in sapphires.
6) Jaime sang "Six Maids in a Pool," and laughed when I begged him to be quiet.
7) That night she dreamed herself in Renly's tent again... And when the shadow sword sliced through the green steel gorget and the blood began to flow, she saw that the dying king was not Renly after all but Jaime Lannister, and she had failed him.
8) Ghosts. "A wall I rode by once. It does not matter." It was when Ser Jaime still had both his hands.
9) She went to sleep dreaming of the fight they'd had, and of Ser Jaime fastening a rainbow cloak about her shoulders.
10) He clawed at his belt and came up with a dagger, so Brienne cut his hand off. That one was for Jaime.
11) "You have two hands." One more than you left Jaime.
12) All of it came pouring out of Brienne then, like black blood from a wound... the voyage down the Trident, dueling Jaime in the woods, the Bloody Mummers, Jaime crying "Sapphires," Jaime in the tub at Harrenhal with steam rising from his body, the taste of Vargo Hoat's blood when she bit down on his ear, the bear pit, Jaime leaping down onto the sand, the long ride to King's Landing, Sansa Stark, the vow she'd sworn to Jaime, the vow she'd sworn to Lady Catelyn, Oathkeeper, Duskendale, Maidenpool, Nimble Dick and Crackclaw and the Whispers, the men she'd killed... "I have to find her," she finished. "There are others looking, all wanting to capture her and sell her to the queen. I have to find her first. I promised Jaime. Oathkeeper, he named the sword. I have to try to save her... or die in the attempt."
13) I could slink back to King's Landing, confess my failure to Ser Jaime, give him back his sword, and find a ship to carry me home to Tarth, as the Elder Brother urged. The thought was a bitter one, yet there was part of her that yearned for Evenfall and her father, and another part that wondered if Jaime would comfort her should she weep upon his shoulder. That was what men wanted, wasn't it? Soft helpless women that they needed to protect?
14) "Sapphires," she whispered at him, as she gave her blade a hard twist that made him shudder.
15) "Jaime," she heard herself scream, "Jaime."
16) She could not fight without her magic sword. Ser Jaime had given it to her. The thought of failing him as she had failed Lord Renly made her want to weep. "My sword. Please, I have to find my sword... Jaime called it Oathkeeper. Please."
17) Oathkeeper. I have to find the girl. I have to find his honor.
18) Jaime! she wanted to cry. Jaime, come back for me!
19) "The Kingslayer's whore." She flinched. "Why would you call me that?"
"If I had a silver stag for every time you said his name, I'd be as rich as your friends the Lannisters."
20) Jaime. The name was a knife, twisting in her belly. "Lady Catelyn, I... you do not understand, Jaime... he saved me from being raped when the Bloody Mummers took us, and later he came back for me, he leapt into the bear pit empty-handed... I swear to you, he is not the man he was."
Times Jaime thinks about Brienne when they're apart:
1)"You'd best see to her as well. She's still limping on the leg I pricked when we fought."
2) Jaime gave him a sharp look. "Brienne?"...
"I had told Lord Vargo there were no sapphires on Tarth, but he will not listen. He is convinced the Evenstar intends to cheat him."...
The news irritated him, though he supposed he should have seen it coming...The lie spared you awhile, wench. Be grateful for that much... why should I care?
3) The wench would have told him he had to eat before he slept, to keep his strength up, but he was more tired than hungry.
4) “I swore to keep you safe,” the wench said stubbornly. “I swore an oath.” Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime. "Ser. Please. If you would be so good."...
In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought...
She was as tall and strong as he remembered, yet it seemed to Jaime that she had more of a woman’s shape now...
"Listen." She put a hand on his shoulder, and he trembled at the sudden touch. She's warm...
"I will fight you one by one or all together. But who is there for the wench to duel? She gets cross when you leave her out."...
Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne's burned, as the ghosts came rushing in...
5) Jaime ran his fingers through his hair. "Walton," he said, "saddle the horses. I want to go back."...
"I left something at Harrenhal."
6) All of a sudden, he knew what was happening. Have we come too late? His stomach did a lurch, and he slammed his spurs into his horse... They had her in the bear pit...
"Her name's Brienne... Pull her out of there."... There's the wench I remember... "I'll pay her bloody ransom. Gold, sapphires, whatever you want. Pull her out of there."
7) He had to laugh. Too sweet! His ear! He could scarcely wait to tell Brienne, though the wench wouldn't find it half so funny as he did.
8) "That woman from Tarth is the reason I'm here. I tossed her into a cell to appease Ser Loras, but I'll believe in Renly's ghost before I believe she did him any harm."
9) "She swore an oath to bring me to King's Landing, and here I sit. This hand I lost... well, that was my doing as much as hers. Considering all she did to protect me, I have no doubt that she would have fought for Renly, had there been a foe to fight."
10) Jaime sat alone at the table while the shadows crept across the room. As dusk began to settle, he lit a candle and opened the White Book to his own page. Quill and ink he found in a drawer...
Returned safely to King's Landing by Brienne, the Maid of Tarth.
11) As he lowered himself into the steaming water, he recalled another bath, the one he'd shared with Brienne.
12) Unbidden, his thoughts went to Brienne of Tarth. Stupid stubborn ugly wench. He wondered where she was. Father, give her strength.
13) He passed beneath the covered bridge and through the Flowstone Yard before he realized where he was headed. As he neared the bear pit, he saw the glow of a lantern, its pale wintry light washing over the tiers of steep stone seats. Someone has come before me, it would seem...
Jaime's golden hand cracked him across the mouth so hard the other knight went stumbling down the steps. His lantern fell and smashed, and the oil spread out, burning. "You are speaking of a highborn lady, ser. Call her by her name. Call her Brienne."
14) It was on his tongue to speak of Brienne and the sword he'd given her, but the Blackfish was looking at him the way that Eddard Stark had looked at him when he'd found him on the Iron Throne with the Mad King's blood upon his blade.
15) "What is it you like in a woman, m'lord?"
16) Brienne, where are you? Have you found her?
Times Jaime thinks about Brienne on the road back (just some):
1) Jaime watched her eyes. Pretty eyes, he thought, and calm.
2) "I did not intend to give offense, Brienne. Forgive me."
3) "You have an arrow in your back, you know. And another in your leg. You ought to let me tend them."
4) The swords kissed and sprang apart, and kissed again. Jaime's blood was singing...
"Come on, come on, my sweetling, the music's still playing. Might I have this dance, my lady?"...
She looks as if they caught us fucking instead of fighting...
"You caught me chastising my wife."...
5) Jaime felt sorry for her. She would lose her maidenhood tonight, he had no doubt.
There's a pig-stubborn bitch, he thought. But brave, yes...
"Tarth is called the Sapphire Isle, a maiden told me once."
6) How can such a night be beautiful? he asked himself. Why would the stars want to look down on such as me?
"Jaime," Brienne whispered, so faintly he thought he was dreaming it. "Jaime, what are you doing?"
"Dying," he whispered back.
"No," she said, "no, you must live."
He wanted to laugh. "Stop telling me what do, wench. I'll die if it pleases me."
7) The wench has built a fortress inside herself. They will rape her soon enough, but behind her walls they cannot touch her. But Jaime’s walls were gone...
Stupid stubborn brave bitch. She was going to get herself good and killed, he knew it. And what do I care if she does?...
Yet he heard himself whisper, "Let them do it, and go away inside." That's what he had done... "Think of Renly, if you loved him. Think of Tarth, mountains and seas, pools, waterfalls, whatever you have on your Sapphire Isle, think..."
But Rorge had won the argument by then.
He shouted, "SAPPHIRES," as loudly as he could.
Cursing, Rorge kicked at his stump again. Jaime howled. I never knew there was such agony in the world, was the last thing he remembered thinking.
8) "There are other tubs."
"This one suits me well enough... What say we make a truce?"
"Truces are built on trust. Would you have me trust --"
"The Kingslayer, yes... Come, curse me, or kiss me, or call me a liar."...
Brienne caught him before he could fall... Gentler than Cersei, he thought as she helped him from the tub, his legs wobbly as a limp cock. "Guards!" he heard the wench shout. "The Kingslayer!"
Jaime, he thought, my name is Jaime.
9) "Bring me clean garb for him," Brienne said, "I’ll see that he’s washed and dressed."
Brienne went away to retrieve her towel, and returned with a stiff brush to finish scrubbing him. One of the guards gave her a razor to trim his beard... With the wench’s help he managed to dress himself...
"Bring me the potion that grows new hands,” said Jaime. "That’s the one I want."
"Drink it," Brienne said, unsmiling, and he did...
"I can still walk. Brienne, give me your arm." Clutching her, Jaime let them herd him across the yard to a vast draughty hall, larger even than the throne room in King's Landing.
10) "You want her? Go get her."
So he did...
"Kingslayer?" he heard Brienne say, astonished.
"What are you doing here?"
"Something stupid. Get behind me." He circled toward her, putting himself between Brienne and the bear.
"You get behind. I have the sword."...
"Get behind me!"...
Brienne tried to dart around, but he kicked her legs out from under her. She fell in the sand, clutching the useless sword. Jaime straddled her, and the bear came charging...
"You are still maiden, I hope?... Oh, good," Jaime said. "I only rescue maidens."...
"I am grateful, but... you were well away. Why come back?"
A dozen quips came to mind, each crueler than the one before, but Jaime only shrugged. "I dreamed of you," he said.
11) He turned abruptly and galloped back to find Brienne. God knows why I bother.
12) She looked so miserable that Jaime almost found himself wanting to comfort her.
That day Brienne had been like one half-dead. Even calling her "wench" failed to provoke any response. The strength is gone from her.
13) Brienne's big blue eyes were full of hurt as Balon Swann and a dozen gold cloaks led her away. You ought to be blowing me kisses, wench, he wanted to tell her.
14) "Blue is a good color on you, my lady," Jaime observed. "It goes well with your eyes." She does have astonishing eyes.
Brienne glanced down at herself, flustered. "Septa Donyse padded out the bodice, to give it that shape. She said you sent her to me... You look..."
"Different?" He managed a half-smile. "More meat on the ribs and fewer lice in my hair, that’s all. The stump’s the same."...
"The white cloak..."
"... is new, but I’m sure I’ll soil it soon enough."
"That wasn’t... I was about to say that it becomes you."...
Brienne looked at him. "You do not believe he did it."
Jaime gave her a hard smile. "See, wench? We know each other too well... There's the stubborn stupid wench that I remember."
She reddened. "My name is..."
"Brienne of Tarth." Jaime sighed. "I have a gift for you."
Times in the bathhouse Jaime notices Brienne is naked:
1) "Not so hard, wench," he called. "You'll scrub the skin off."
2) "My lady of Tarth doesn't want the likes of you scum gaping at her teats."
3) "Have no fear, wench. Your thighs are purple and green, and I'm not interested in what you've got between them."
4) He smiled as a red flush crept up the thick white column of her neck. She turned her back to him. "Still the shy maiden? What is it that you think I haven't seen?"
5) Jaime caught a glimpse of the thick blonde bush at the juncture of her thighs as she climbed out... he felt his cock stir beneath the bathwater.
6) She wrapped her nakedness in a towel.
7) The wench looked ridiculous, clutching her towel to her meager teats with her thick white legs sticking out beneath.
8) Her arm was all gooseflesh, clammy and chilled, but she was strong, and gentler than he would have thought.
9) Brienne was naked, but she seemed to have forgotten that for the moment.
10) Brienne went away to retrieve her towel...
Times Cersei mocks Jaime's stump:
1) Cersei recoiled from his stump.
2) "Get out, I said. I am sick of looking at that ugly stump of yours. Get out!"
3) "Oh, an angry cripple."
4) "Are you deaf as well as maimed? You'll find the door behind you, ser."
Times Jaime thinks of Cersei badly (just some):
1) I thought that I was the Warrior and Cersei was the Maid, but all the time she was the Stranger, hiding her true face from my gaze.
2) "I'm the queen o' whores."
No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.
3) "All of it, save what to do with Cersei."
Ser Ilyn drew a finger across his throat.
"No," said Jaime. "Tommen has lost a brother, and the man he thought of as his father. If I were to kill his mother, he would hate me for it..."
4) Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once...
"Does my lord wish to answer?" the maester asked, after a long silence.
A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. "No," he said. "Put this in the fire."
5) He would have to face her, he supposed. Assuming the High Septon had not put her to death by the time he got back to the city... she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy for all I know...
6) "My little brother has known a hundred whores, I'm sure, but I've only ever bedded one."
Cersei after Jaime abandons her:
Her. The queen remembered the Maid of Tarth, a huge, ugly, shambling thing who dressed in man's mail. Jaime would never abandon me for such a creature. My raven never reached him, elsewise he would have come.
Edited by Le Cygne, 24 July 2012 - 04:03 AM.