Walking Dead: Show and Graphic Novel Comparison

Young Wolf

In the comics he has his "come to Jesus" moment after he kicked Rick and the group off the farm (after he found Glenn and Maggie in bed together). After they find the prison, Rick goes back for Hershel and his family and discover they'd been attacked and Hershel is much more willing to follow from that point on.

Yes, but he still keeps his faith, from what I recall, whereas in the show he seems to have abandoned it - isn't that why he goes back to drinking?

Why do people seem to like the Governor? Is he really an interesting character? His disgusting relationship with his daughter is morbidly fascinating, but everythign else about is is completely over the top and so odious...

Does anyone think T-Dawg's comment about "the Governor" was an easter-egg type nod to the gn/season 3?

I think the Governor storyline is so important and popular because of how it all ends at the prison. And because it's such a violent chapter in the tale and includes the transformation of Rick. And it also shows more of how the world has changed and that Shane wasn't the biggest crazy out there after all.

And then it just keeps going from there once they leave prison.

I myself don't 'like' the Governor and was hoping Merle would take over that part of the story. Hand for a hand.

Why do people seem to like the Governor? Is he really an interesting character? His disgusting relationship with his daughter is morbidly fascinating, but everythign else about is is completely over the top and so odious...

I don't like the Governor. I hated him as I read the comics, but he's a fantastic villain.

I don't like the Governor. I hated him as I read the comics, but he's a fantastic villain.

I guess that's what i meant. He's a completely under developed over the top psychopath. A caricature, really. Especially towards the end of that arc when he's Governor 2.0.

Meh, fuck it. I just bought the compendium for 34.00.

A pretty good price, depending on the currency. I paid R$130,00 - which is something around US$75,00. O.o

Does anyone think T-Dawg's comment about "the Governor" was an easter-egg type nod to the gn/season 3?

Oh, I despise him, all the times he appeared I just wanted Michonne to kill him in a cruel way already. I can't express how disappointed I was when she missed her opportunity, but I think his end was fitting, probably the most disgusting in the whole series. Nevertheless, the prison-governor saga was the best in the comics so far, I really enjoyed reading all his evil deeds. With any luck he'll be better developed in the show.

But that was why I had asked before if anyone here read Rise of the Governor. I haven't read it yet, I'd like to know how much it contributes to his storyline. And maybe they will use whatever is in there on he show, who knows?

T-Dog mentioning a governor? When was that? Me and my bad memory, can't even remember T-Dog's precious few lines...

I guess that's what i meant. He's a completely under developed over the top psychopath. A caricature, really. Especially towards the end of that arc when he's Governor 2.0.

I'll give you all of those, but even then I felt he was effective. I hated the son-of-a-bitch. And the Gov/Prison saga has been the best so far (though the current one has been pretty good too).

T-Dog mentioning a governor? When was that? Me and my bad memory, can't even remember T-Dog's precious few lines...

As he's opening the door to the shed the kid was tied up in he says something like "the governor called, stay of execution".

Governor is the natural next step I guess, an outside villain as opposed to someone within their own camp.

I wish Tyrese and Michonne showed up, though. Tyrese more so actually - with Shane gone there's definitely a space for a right hand man for Rick.

I quite like the changes, from book to screen. It keeps things fresh + I didn't mind the new take on the Shane death situation.

I wish Tyrese and Michonne showed up, though. Tyrese more so actually - with Shane gone there's definitely a space for a right hand man for Rick.

I was under the impression that might be Daryl's new role.

I also didn't mind the change in Shane's demise - ok, I bitched about it at first, but after watching it, that was the best solution. Not to mention that people generally feel too offended at seeing a child shooting someone in cold blood, like in the GN.

Edit: how fun, my 666th post ends up being about a zombie show :devil:

I am a fan of the comic and one of those who continues to watch the show without really knowing why, I suppose I hope the things I dislike about it will change and the potential dispalyed in the premiere will be realized. IMO the writing and acting are generally of a very poor quality. I felt season one fell off a very steep cliff after the first episode and got worse week by week until the finale, which I can say, without hyperbole, was IMO one of the worst hours of television I have watched in years, approaching Heroes levels of ineptitude. Season 2 has been more up and down for me, there hasn't been a complete episode that wowed me from start to finish, I think the Sophia thing was stretched out too long after it became obvious that she was in the barn, and there are almost always stretches where a facepalm is the only rational reaction. But there have also been moments peeking through that point to improvements, like the final scene between Shane and Rick last week.

I don't feel the comic is perfect by any means, and I believe Kirkman has some obvious flaws as a writer. This was not a propety that I thought needed to be followed to the letter, as long as they kept the general bleak tone I thought it would be fine. But I have not found many of these detours successful. I was very interested in seeing what could come of keeping Shane around, but that ended up being a huge problem for me because I don't think he really added anything and in fact detracted from the development of Rick. He only really served to extend the soapy "love" triagle and I felt he didn't do anything interesting until he offed Otis. Also, and I may be in the minority here, I didn't like Bernthal's portrayal at all, now I am not familiar with him as an actor outside of WD, so I am more inclined to blame the material than the actor.

Finally, I hoped the show would improve on characterization, Kirkman's weakness, but it has been an abject failure in that department IMO. Some of the comic characterization may be overly simple, but in the show none of these characters feel like real people, none of them are remotely likeable, which wouldn't be a huge problem if I felt that it was intentional, but I don't think it is, except perhaps for Lori because she is just awful in every incarnation. I don't care for Carol in either incarnation, T-Dogg is only in the show and he does come off a a "token minority" sadly, Rick is kind of annoying in the show, and I despise the TV Andrea.

Anyway, I don't mean to offend anyone that genuinely likes the show, especially since I am new, and whether it's hope or masochism I will continue to be "That Guy" who watches the show without loving it, but on the plus I will refrain from complaining loudly beyond this post.

My library had it when it first came out. Check yours.

I wasn't sure if the Library actually carried comics. DId they have the comics or the hardbacks? I will have to call a few libraries and see if I can get my hands on them. That would certainly save me some $$!

But the compendium for $34 is a great deal. I would still buy that.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not that I like GN!Carol, it's just that I had fun with her craziness! :rofl:

And Hershel, well... he's ultra religious in both versions, but the show did add a little more believability with the alcoholism story and his finally acknowledging that world was doomed (I don't recall that happening in the comics).

So much THIS. After all the changes they made in True Blood and The Walking Dead, I really fear what they will do with GoT, but that's another discussion. ;)

I just got my hands on Volume 3 and stayed up way past my bedtime last night to dig into it.

About Carol and her craziness...

just read the part where she wants to marry Rick and Lori...and then Lori like reams her for not being a good Mom - that is actually pretty funny. But I have to wonder what the point of all that is? I get the desperation of Carol being alone and affraid, but honestly it seems pretty cheesy to me. Maybe my opinion will change once I read the full volume but right now, I'm sorta just wanting to skip over the mama drama.

I don't feel the comic is perfect by any means, and I believe Kirkman has some obvious flaws as a writer. This was not a propety that I thought needed to be followed to the letter, as long as they kept the general bleak tone I thought it would be fine. But I have not found many of these detours successful. I was vey interested in seeing what could come of keeping Shane around, but that ended up being a huge problem for me because I don't think he really added anything and in fact detracted from the development of Rick. He only really served to exxtend the soapy "love" triagle and I felt he didn't do anything intersting until he offed Otis. Also, and I may be in the minority here, I didn't like Bernthal's portrayal at all, now I am not familiar with him as an actor outside of WD, so I am more inclined to blame the material than the actor.

:agree: , and I really can't understand when Kirkman says he flirted with the idea of keeping Shane around even longer - I mean, all it did was prevent Rick and Carl from turning into their post-zombie apocalypse self, the best thing I see in the comics in terms of character development.

I just got my hands on Volume 3 and stayed up way past my bedtime last night to dig into it.

About Carol and her craziness...

just read the part where she wants to marry Rick and Lori...and then Lori like reams her for not being a good Mom - that is actually pretty funny. But I have to wonder what the point of all that is? I get the desperation of Carol being alone and affraid, but honestly it seems pretty cheesy to me. Maybe my opinion will change once I read the full volume but right now, I'm sorta just wanting to skip over the mama drama.

That's precious, isn't it? I loled over and over again at her behavior. I think it was mostly supposed to show how such a radical transformation of the world sends people over the edge and they actually lose their grip on reality - I mean, the woman actually thought that because there are no more laws and all institutions were broken, at best, that everyone around her would approve the idea of giving in to their craziest impulses - or worse, to give in to other people's craziest impulses. :rofl: Not to mention that she actually forgot her responsibilities as a mother, which I think was the tragic part of the character in the GN. It's a pity they changed her so much in the show, TV could use such a a character in a zombie story. :cool4:

Archived