The Winds of Winter: Victarion I ?

MountainMan

I don't get why people think the dusky woman is going to play some huge role in Victarions character arc. Someone suggested she was a faceless man... C'mon, if that were true the FM would of killed him already instead of getting fucked from the Shield Islands to Meereen. And honestly how important would she be if she was Eurons informant? I'm sure Euron doesn't need an informant if his master plan is to get someone to blow his horn (phrasing) so he can get the dragons. He could just kick it in disguise until it happens... What role would a mute whore play?

I think Moqorro does have his own agenda, but it coincides with Victorians (at least for the moment). Also I like the theory that somehow Vic is UnVic. What I do know is that is chapter is going to be so awesome and game changing. Either Vic or Eurongets the dragons and brings them back to Westeros, or they don't and suddenly the Krakens lose their navy.

I'm still of the opinion that Victarion is dead already. He died in his cabin! It's the only POV that leaves the perspective of a the person whose POV it is. While Moqorro is "fixing" him, the narrative goes outside his cabin and identifies people in the hallway.

I agree, first time the "camera" goes off and back from the character !

I'm just glad that the future Vic POV's appear to be more interesting.

I didn't find his other ones all that intriguing; both in plot and in his character. At some points really felt like a chore to read.

Overall, TWOW really seems to be growing quite climactic. Can't wait!

Isn't an obvious implication of the "no mortal man can blow the horn and live" thing that a woman, such as, ahem, Danny, could do it with no problem?

At least no problem for her. It'll probably be a problem for the notably misogynistic Iron Men. Since Danny's not even in Mereen at the end of ADwD, my guess is Victarion simply shows up and tries to steal the Dragons away since she won't actually be there to impress.

And things didn't end well for Quentyn Martell when he tried that, so I don't see why they would for Victrarion.

If he truly believed that Victarion would try to screw him over and blow the horn then why send him in the first place?

Only Victarion has the necessary sway over the Iron Fleet. Euron Greyjoy's prestige wasn't strong enough. Of course, once Euron has control over the dragons, that's a whole different story.

Having said that, I agree that Moqorro's arrival was an unexpected variable and the one thing that gives Victarion a shot.

Two comments:

- The safest solution would be to have an undead woman blow the horn. Where is UnCat when you need her?

- Victarion's naivity makes me believe he's a hidden Stark. Why not? With all the hidden Targaryens around ...

Soooo sorry people, but I'm really busy hanging people back in the Riverlands.

Valyrian is a gender-ambiguous language as stated by Maester Aemon, so "No mortal man" = "No mortal human". There's no LOTR-style equivocation to see here, folks.

I don't think Maester Aemon ever said that Valyrian is completely gender nonspecific. Only that the "The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female." That doesn't imply to me that there's no difference between the words "man" and "woman" in Valyrian.

Here's what I think: Euron expected Victarion to go to Meereen, blow the horn, and die. The three dragons would be bound to Euron since he's the owner of the horn. Euron probably expected Victarion to try to betray him, but he figured with his plan, it didn't matter why Victarion blew the horn, as long as he blew it. Moqorro is the wild card who throws a kink into Euron's plan by washing up on Victarion's boat. As many have said, though, Moqorro is hiding his true motives from Victarion, I think. I think Moqorro is on Dany's side since his original purpose was to help Dany. He's delivering the horn and Victarion's fleet to her. So at some point in the next book, I think Victarion will be dead, Dany will have his fleet, the horn, total control of the three dragons, and a Dothraki Army. She'll be well prepared to invade Westeros and kill and destroy the army of the Blackfyre pretender (fake Aegon) who's sitting on the Iron Throne when she gets there. Okay, I've made some leaps, but wouldn't this make for a cool story? Of course knowing GRRM, that's way too easy. Something crazy would have to happen somewhere along the way.

Okay, I've made some leaps, but wouldn't this make for a cool story?

I'm sure Westeros will appreciate a combined horde of Dothraki and Ironborn raping and pillaging. Sounds like just what they need to end the War of Five Kings.

I'm sure Westeros will appreciate a combined horde of Dothraki and Ironborn raping and pillaging. Sounds like just what they need to end the War of Five Kings.

Not to mention how much the Dothraki hate boats. Like I said, leaps...

I'm still of the opinion that Victarion is dead already. He died in his cabin! It's the only POV that leaves the perspective of a the person whose POV it is. While Moqorro is "fixing" him, the narrative goes outside his cabin and identifies people in the hallway.

GRRM never, ever wrote something like that.

I'm glad you point this out. Not nearly enough people talk about it. To me, that passage wasn't an indication of death, but more like transcendence. Remember George takes pride in removing humanity from those who have been resurrected. Such as Cat, and so we lost her as a POV.

But in this case something has been GAINED. The total opposite of how George deals with death and rebirth. Observe:

That's something I too have wondered. Also his POV going from names like "The Iron Captain" and "The Reaver" to simply "Victarion", what's up with that?

Right, remember how much more self-assured and crazy cool Vic became after his "healing?" Even the monkeys knew it. This was reflected in his "promotion" from Title to Name in his chapter headings.

So my thought here is that Victarian has not been reanimated, but kind of super-charged to serve Moqqoro's purposes. the break in POV was reflective of that - Victarian becoming More Than Human in that one moment and sensing the reactions of the other shipmates and monkeys. I also like the idea that Moqorro is maneuvering the horn to Dany so she can finally take control of her dragons But Good. And as others have suggested, her Targness keeps her safe from the horn.

Thought: Victarian is the blood sacrifice Moqorro is preparing for Dany, so she might claim the horn for herself.

I think Moqorro does have his own agenda, but it coincides with Victorians (at least for the moment). Also I like the theory that somehow Vic is UnVic. What I do know is that is chapter is going to be so awesome and game changing. Either Vic or Eurongets the dragons and brings them back to Westeros, or they don't and suddenly the Krakens lose their navy.

I am really considering now that Victarion or Euron (most likely using Vic) gets the dragons with the horn and command them somehow to go to westeros for the following reasons:

- Its the only possibility that has Euron to actually win the Iron Throne, Euron probably doesn't care about having a queen, he doesnt even need a fleet, all he needs is the dragons at his command, Maybe after using the horn the dragons have to fly to his commander ( Euron at westeros) if something GRRM has told us in all the books is that having dragons is equal to winning all the battles no matter the numbers.

-Its a good reason for Dany to finally sail back to westeros and rescue her dragons&throne. Dany keep getting warnings of the kraken, Moqorro also knows Dany is in great danger, that's why he got inside Victarion ship.

If ASOIAF will finish in next two books TWOW should have Dany and her army at least arriving to westeros at the middle-final of the book and the war with Others already started otherwise we will probably need more books,

Archived