Gendry and the Master Mott

Northern Girl 30

I am re-reading Game of Thrones and am wondering which "lord" brought Gendry over to the Smith for him to take on as an apprentice...

"He was stout, round of shoulder, not so tall as you. Brown beard, but there was a bit of red in it..wore a rich cloak, heavy purple velvet worked with silver threads but the hood shadowed his face..."

It's pg 273 and 274

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vary's could be the one...but what would he gain by hiding Robert's "bastard"? Plus, he (Gendry that is) becomes more than just a small bit part character, so it's entirely possible that every detail about him is important.

In any case, the way GRRM writes, I'm pretty sure that he himself wasn't sure where he was going with this at the time of writing (I don't think he know's where he's going with his stuff 3/4's of the time he's writing).

Vary's could be the one...but what would he gain by hiding Robert's "bastard"? Plus, he (Gendry that is) becomes more than just a small bit part character, so it's entirely possible that every detail about him is important.

In any case, the way GRRM writes, I'm pretty sure that he himself wasn't sure where he was going with this at the time of writing (I don't think he know's where he's going with his stuff 3/4's of the time he's writing).

I think Martin has a fairly detailed plan of what he's doing, at least for the important stuff.

Anyways, Varys probably wanted to keep Robert's bastards safe in order to try and delay the Stark/Lannister war.

• 3 years later...

I am so glad I found this.

I have read the books many times :eek: but it just now struck me that I never really thought about this particular lord.

And I couldn't for the life of me figure out who they meant.

Varys is of course a good explanation for any mysterious or suspect things. :cool4:

All points to Varys.. He elaborates on it in Clash:

After the death of Robert's youngest bastard, Barra, Tyrion and Varys have this discussion about Robert's children:

The eunuch’s smile was sly. “That might take rather a long time, my good lord. I know quite a lot.”

“Not enough to save this child, it would seem.”

“Alas, no. There was another bastard, a boy, older. I took steps to see him removed from harm’s way... but I confess, I never dreamed the babe would be at risk. A baseborn girl, less than a year old, with a whore for a mother. What threat could she pose?”

As to why Varys would be behind it: (contains slight spoilers for the biggest part of Game)

Varys would have needed to keep Robert's bastards safe in order to present proof that Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen were not Robert's. The more of Robert's bastards he had to show, the better.. And Gendry, as we know, looks a lot like a young Robert.

So Gendry needed to be safe and alive.. He did not need to be in any position of freedom. The Night's Watch would be safe enough for the boy, but Varys would know exactly where he was, should he need to present him to the Lords of Westeros.

Archived