Sample chapter in ADWD paperback?

Archmaester

The two-volume paperback edition fo ADWD was released today (in the UK at least, not sure about anywhere else) - has anyone bought it and does it contain the sample chapter for TWOW as promised, or is this saved for a later edition that isn't split into two volumes??

I didn't even know about this... or that it was split into two volumes. I am flabbergasted. I would love it if we got two sample chapters from tWoW as epilogues... I would buy both volumes and flip to the back right away to read them. The zealousness of GrrM's internet fans though... If they are out there in print, someone has posted them on the inter-webs somewhere, I am sure...

I think it may be the U.S. version that will have a different chapter. But it's also possible that, for whatever reason, the publishers decided to go with the Theon chapter as being the most interesting to readers.

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/today-in-travel/game-of-thrones-exclusive-george-martin-talks-season-the-winds-of-winter-and-real-world-influences-for-song-of-ice-and-fire.html?id=10593041

In this new interview George mentions that we're still getting a new sample chapter in the upcoming paperback that's to be released this summer.

For curiosity’s sake, what chapter are people hoping for?

I used to be a pretty big proponent of getting a Sansa chapter but now I’m starting to think an Aeron chapter would be more informative.

Edit: Incidentally, really interesting interview; this part especially:

GRRM: Obviously, I'm going to continue the story. There were a lot of cliffhangers at the end of A Dance with Dragons. Those will be resolved very early. I'm going to open with the two big battles that I was building up to, the battle in the ice and the battle at Meereen—the battle of Slaver's Bay. And then take it from there.

We know we won't get Mel or Jon or anything to do with the wall. Unlikely to get anything to do with Meereen... IE no Barristan or Tyrion or Victarian (he didn't reed the end of the Victarion chapter for a reason. Something big happens that we will need to wait for the novel to see...) Unlikely to see Bran as he is close to a big reveal I think...

So my big hope would be for Sansa or Davos. Arya could be interesting too. I want to know where they're sending her

Sansa or Sam. Anyone but the Damphair.

I'd forgotten about Sam. That would be an interesting chapter. His story and the story in Citadel in general is the one most wrapped in mystery at the moment.

In regard to the Aeron chapter, I thought it might be interesting if it gave us some idea what Euron has been up to.

I'd forgotten about Sam. That would be an interesting chapter. His story and the story in Citadel in general is the one most wrapped in mystery at the moment.

In regard to the Aeron chapter, I thought it might be interesting if it gave us some idea what Euron has been up to.

I don't think Aeron would know. He's still somewhere on the Iron Islands (I don't think Asha even knows exactly where he went) trying to find a way to unseat Euron from the Seastone chair.

I don't think Aeron would know. He's still somewhere on the Iron Islands (I don't think Asha even knows exactly where he went) trying to find a way to unseat Euron from the Seastone chair.

I’d think he’d almost have to know what is going on with Euron if he plans on overthrowing him.

My reasoning on this issue is this:

Aeron, no matter how you look at things, is a secondary POV, and even then, a low ranking one. He will not have many chapters. Given that, the few chapters he will have are probably going to be quite informative.

By contrast, Sansa is one of the more important POVs, second only to the big three and her younger sister, so I have to believe she’ll get 6-8 chapters in the next book, perhaps even more because she did not feature in ADwD. That being so, I can easily imagine her first chapter not being altogether that interesting as these things go.

Archived