Sample chapter in ADWD paperback?

Archmaester

By contrast, Sansa is one of the more important POVs, second only to the big three and her younger sister, so I have to believe she’ll get 6-8 chapters in the next book, perhaps even more because she did not feature in ADwD. That being so, I can easily imagine her first chapter not being altogether that interesting as these things go.

For Sansa to get several chapters in The Winds of Winter there would need to be some plot resolution in those chapters. If there's more focus on what she's thinking/feeling and what happens to her, she'd get fewer chapters than if she or someone around her is actively participating in the plot. Martin is still Martin, but he's also not Robert Jordan. The story's gotta go places and things have to happen. Littlefinger is more a man of cleverness and subterfuge than a man of action... His getting OUT of Kings Landing before the Iron Bank's bills started going unpaid is perhaps a sign that he didn't want to be the one stuck holding the bag there. A bit better to use the sway he had (and a fair bit of trickery) to effect a takeover of a power that's not involved in the wars. One that might be in a good position after it all ends? Always in the right place at the right time...

While Littlefinger has tended to be a rather key figure in the books, he's currently off the main stage at the Eyrie working on keeping what he's got and taking advantage of events as they come along. The thing is, while the castle is all-but-invulnerable (amazing how many castles like that there are in this world), the Vale has never really seemed to me to be a great seat of power in Westeros. Mayhap it could become one with the rest of them all bogged down in conflicts or destroy one another in the war(s)? Remains to be seen, really.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing is, while the castle is all-but-invulnerable (amazing how many castles like that there are in this world). . .

Castle design reached a point in medieval Europe where it became basically impossible to storm a defended keep regardless of the disparity in numbers between attackers/defenders. Gunpowder took care of that.

It's the Theon chapter that George put up on his site.

Hold on. It can’t be the exact same chapter, because there are typos that were surely corrected for print. The big question is whether where Maester Tybald was from has changed. Could someone please verify?

• 4 weeks later...

For Sansa to get several chapters in The Winds of Winter there would need to be some plot resolution in those chapters. If there's more focus on what she's thinking/feeling and what happens to her, she'd get fewer chapters than if she or someone around her is actively participating in the plot.

Don't forget that the Mad Mouse has managed to get hired by Littlefinger. I predict Sansa will get kidnapped early on in tWoW. Not only would this reintroduce some action in the Sansa POV, it would allow GRRM to bring in the mountain clans to rescue MRS. Halfman.

While Littlefinger has tended to be a rather key figure in the books, he's currently off the main stage at the Eyrie working on keeping what he's got and taking advantage of events as they come along. The thing is, while the castle is all-but-invulnerable...

But they had to abandon the Eyrie for the winter.

For Sansa to get several chapters in The Winds of Winter there would need to be some plot resolution in those chapters. If there's more focus on what she's thinking/feeling and what happens to her, she'd get fewer chapters than if she or someone around her is actively participating in the plot. Martin is still Martin, but he's also not Robert Jordan. The story's gotta go places and things have to happen. Littlefinger is more a man of cleverness and subterfuge than a man of action... His getting OUT of Kings Landing before the Iron Bank's bills started going unpaid is perhaps a sign that he didn't want to be the one stuck holding the bag there. A bit better to use the sway he had (and a fair bit of trickery) to effect a takeover of a power that's not involved in the wars. One that might be in a good position after it all ends? Always in the right place at the right time... While Littlefinger has tended to be a rather key figure in the books, he's currently off the main stage at the Eyrie working on keeping what he's got and taking advantage of events as they come along. The thing is, while the castle is all-but-invulnerable (amazing how many castles like that there are in this world), the Vale has never really seemed to me to be a great seat of power in Westeros. Mayhap it could become one with the rest of them all bogged down in conflicts or destroy one another in the war(s)? Remains to be seen, really.

Hope Dany lands near there or attacks the Eyrie. Harrenhal Part 2

Well, that's a tad disappointing, to put it mildly. I wonder if the first Sansa chapter, if it's written, is particularly spoilerish.

I would doubt it. Wasn't GRRM going to include it in ADWD, but he didn't have room? I remember reading once that he was going to put one Sansa chapter in Dance. I could be wrong about that, though.

If only it would be Jaime/Brienne/even UnCatelyn. I just can not deal with the 2 1/2 year wait to find out what's going on with that. it's killing me slowly inch by inch, day by day.

What about Arya? She wasn't involved in any hardcore cliffhanger stuff was she?

Aeron is a good bet for either the new sample chapter or the prologue of winds because george has a chapter of him that he was willing to read when he read the arriane chapter. he also recommended people pick the aeron chapter so it must contain something good. I say there is a good chance of the aeron chapter being the prologue or epilogue because the chapter must be early on if george has it written and was willing to read it.

Aeron is a good bet for either the new sample chapter or the prologue of winds because george has a chapter of him that he was willing to read when he read the arriane chapter. he also recommended people pick the aeron chapter so it must contain something good. I say there is a good chance of the aeron chapter being the prologue or epilogue because the chapter must be early on if george has it written and was willing to read it.

That doesn't make any sense. GRRM would not want to read the Aeron chapter out loud if it was the prologue or epilogue- the POV character in those chapters always die and have never been POV characters before. GRRM would not spoil Aeron dying, and since Aeron has already been a POV character, it's highly unlikely he'd be a prologue/epilogue POV.

Archived