Sample chapter in ADWD paperback?

Archmaester

Let's have a moment of consideration for those poor souls once again thinking they'll get dammit-it's-been-years Sansa chapter.

I was hoping for it. However, since she had a preview chapter in the Clash of Kings book, I felt it was unlikely.

I was expecting a Bran chapter to give us more of a glimpse into the area Beyond the Wall, since we're supposed to be seeing more of it.

I was hoping for it. However, since she had a preview chapter in the Clash of Kings book, I felt it was unlikely.

I was expecting a Bran chapter to give us more of a glimpse into the area Beyond the Wall, since we're supposed to be seeing more of it.

Bran is basically a walking spoilerboard right now with his ability to see so much from the past and/or around the 7ks. I also think that Bran's chapter would be something kept back, as it will no doubt have to reveal somethings about the Others or CotF.

Let's have a moment of consideration for those poor souls once again thinking they'll get dammit-it's-been-years Sansa chapter.

Lol! I figure that there's NO WAY that George pre-releases any Stark children POV chapters; Jon would be too much of a giveaway, then there's the alleged controversial Sansa chapter that is supposed to be a gamechanger, no way we find out the big plans with Bran and Bloodraven, and no way we find out what Arya is up to. I'd imagine that Jaime/Brienne, Cersei, and Melisandre chapters will be held off as well from pre-release. Would be nice to have a chapter that is Westeros focused, even if it's an Aeron Damphair chapter.

Would be nice to have a chapter that is Westeros focused, even if it's an Aeron Damphair chapter.

Isn't the "Ser Barristan" chapter the first formally-released chapter that is not Westeros based? There have only been the Theon and Arianne chapters before this, and both of them are in Westeros. I agree that we won't get any Stark info (bastard or not) until TWoW is published. Grrrr!

Isn't the "Ser Barristan" chapter the first formally-released chapter that is not Westeros based? There have only been the Theon and Arianne chapters before this, and both of them are in Westeros. I agree that we won't get any Stark info (bastard or not) until TWoW is published. Grrrr!

Yes, you're right. The Barristan chapter is the frist released chapter that doesn't take place in Westeros. But perhaps they all mean that GRRM has read so many chapters about the Battle of Meereen (2 Barristans, 2 Tyrions and 1 Victarion I believe), and they were all hoping for something else, for storylines that doesn't involve dragons (like Greyjoy's or Sansa or even Arya)

...hoping for something else, for storylines that doesn't involve dragons (like Greyjoy's or Sansa or even Arya)

The Greyjoys? We can only hope for Sansa and Arya adventure insights.....but....Greyjoys? We've already got Theon/Reek chapter & a Victarion insight. Me no understand... The Greyjoys are ALL about the dragons and krakens!

The Greyjoys? We can only hope for Sansa and Arya adventure insights.....but....Greyjoys? We've already got Theon/Reek chapter & a Victarion insight. Me no understand... The Greyjoys are ALL about the dragons and krakens!

Asha isn't about dragons, Theon/Reek isn't about dragons, Aeron isn't about dragons. Only Victarion is about the dragons. We got a Theon chapter already released. The Victarion chapters has been only read at a con once. That's what I meant.

Asha isn't about dragons, Theon/Reek isn't about dragons, Aeron isn't about dragons. Only Victarion is about the dragons. We got a Theon chapter already released. The Victarion chapters has been only read at a con once. That's what I meant.

Yes, got it. I was inferring that the Greyjoys were more about "mystical beasts" (krakens & dragons) rather than just dragons. Sorry for being obtuse.

It's good to have a fleshed out Barristan chapter in the mix....everything communicated thus far regarding Slaver's Bay in TWoW has been somewhat sketchy...and all the formally-released chapters have just given rise to more speculation. The Stark chapters will probably tie many threads together....hence they'll never be released beforehand.

Got the paperback today. it leads up to the moment Ser Barristan leads his forces out of Mereen to fight long enough for the unsullied to form their wall. Signifigant part of it is that a dragon is seen breathing fire on top of the great pyramid in the night and the soldiers of Mereeen see it. Barristan thinks to himself that men are never more alive then before they go into battle (I fear Ser Barristan wil die, sorry, just go that feeling) Ser Barristan is riding Dany's Silver because of two reasons, Silver is symbol of Dany and Ser Barristan knows that Silver is used to the dragons scent and sound as she has been around them since they hatched. The premis of the chapter is basically, the dragons are loose and could change the tide of battle.

The premis of the chapter is basically, the dragons are loose and could change the tide of battle.

...and the horn hasn't even blown yet! I loved Selmy's speech to the men...I couldn't help but compare it to Tyrion's Blackwater speech. Good touch with Silver. God, the corpse missiles (almost like the antler men in Blackwater)! Tremendous visuals.

Truth about the dragons though, but how helpful or vulnerable are they? Friendly fire?

Yes, got it. I was inferring that the Greyjoys were more about "mystical beasts" (krakens & dragons) rather than just dragons. Sorry for being obtuse.

It's good to have a fleshed out Barristan chapter in the mix....everything communicated thus far regarding Slaver's Bay in TWoW has been somewhat sketchy...and all the formally-released chapters have just given rise to more speculation. The Stark chapters will probably tie many threads together....hence they'll never be released beforehand.

Ah, ok, than I didn't get that. :)

I'm really happy about it being a Barristan chapter as well, since this means we'll finally have some part of the battle written down to read. I can't wait until it appears on GRRM's website, since buying the paperback isn't going to work for me (I'm not even sure they have this version in the Netherlands, since a paperback version of aDwD has been sold here since 2011, with a Theon chapter in the back). Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait. :)

Ser Barristan is riding Dany's Silver because of two reasons, Silver is symbol of Dany and Ser Barristan knows that Silver is used to the dragons scent and sound as she has been around them since they hatched. The premis of the chapter is basically, the dragons are loose and could change the tide of battle.

I always thought of Dany's silver as a smaller horse, suitable for her to ride. But if it is being ridden by Ser B in armor into battle, it must be slightly heftier than I previously imagined.

i'm surprised so many people wanted a sansa chapter. most people hate her. but she's the character i am mostly "WTF is about to happen next" about.

If you guess nothing, you'd probably be correct most all the time. Stuff happens around Sansa.

I always thought of Dany's silver as a smaller horse, suitable for her to ride. But if it is being ridden by Ser B in armor into battle, it must be slightly heftier than I previously imagined.

Me too but I am not sure how many heavy knightly sized horses are there in Essos, besides, Barristan rode her for her link to Dany and familiarity around the dragons.

Archived